OT: How bad would this damage my amp?
New Reply
Subscribe
Grasshopper
2nd June 2005
Old 2nd June 2005
Gear nut

OT: How bad would this damage my amp?

Last night I lent my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL/1960A combination to my friend for practice. I failed to notice that he was using an instrument cable in place of a speaker cable. Practice lasted about 1&1/2 hours. I'm not sure if he matched ohms either. Needless to say I won't be lending my amps anymore.
2nd June 2005
Old 2nd June 2005
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure the only thing it might do is add a little buzz to the signal while using an instrument cable insead of a speaker cable.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
2nd June 2005
Old 2nd June 2005
Gear interested

It'll take a little top end off of the signal--the longer the cable, the less top. I've always been told that it loads the amplifier down inappropriately, which is why it's a thing to be avoided. An hour and a half, though--I really can't imagine that doing any damage given that I've seen people do that night in and night out for year after year without any harm coming to their amps. They've been surprised when I pointed it out to them and astonished at the improvement in their sound when they started using the correct cable.

As I'm thinking about this, a faint bell is going off at the back of my worthless little brain: Is it more of a problem if one does that to a solid-state amp? I *think* that might be the case . . ..

Anyway, relax: Your friend may not be well-educated regarding cable types, but he didn't break anything of yours either.

--gmr

worthlesshippie@gmail.com
Where are we going and what am I doing in this handbasket?
2nd June 2005
Old 2nd June 2005
Gear Guru

if the cable didn't melt - blow a transformer up ... and the amp still works, you're fine
Mastering Engineer - The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Ray LaMontagne, Chet Faker, Mary Lambert, The Soft White Sixites, Bombino, Hanni El Khatib, The Shins, Dr. John, The Growlers, The Sheepdogs, David Lynch, Beck, Sigur Ros, Newsted and 1000s of others.

Spiral Groove - Studio One - a truly useful nearfield mixing speaker
C/G
2nd June 2005
Old 2nd June 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Tube amps are pretty tough, your amp will be fine. Come to think of it our PA at the jam space has had a guitar cable as a speaker cable for about the last 5 years.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search