Login / Register

Cad m179?
New Reply
Subscribe
plexisys
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to plexisys Send a message via Yahoo to plexisys Send a message via Skype™ to plexisys
Cad m179?

I've got a good selection of Neumanns, AKG, Sennheiser and Shures. I'm looking for a good general mic for drums and guitar cabs, sort of an alternative to SM57. Any thoughts on the Cad M179 or something similar?

Guitar-Tubes.com Crank it up

A studio is a financial black hole with good acoustics.

It's only vintage if it works. Other wise it's just old crap.

JS Bach or Beethoven never used auto-tune or comp tracks, nor an eq, a compressor/limiter, a reverb or a delay an analog or digital mix system. All that was achieved in the writing and performance of the music. Obviously Bach and Beethoven were doing it wrong.
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Jai guru deva om

Personally I use CAD M179 on toms virtually every time, and the E/V ND468 on guitar cabs when it comes to dynamic mics to reach for. Both of those are way different than an SM57.

War

18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

Last edited by Jimbo; 18th November 2008 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: updated reference
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Guru

The M179 is a good mic to have around - it works really well for capturing low-frequency stuff on big floor toms. And it works for just about anything else.

For toms, snares, and guitar cabinets, having some Heil PR20/30/40 available is good too.

-tINY

18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Personally I use CAD M179 on toms virtually every time,
Agreed. You can hear the 177's here (179's in Cardiod mode) against all the usual suspects:

Drum Mic Madness!!!!
plexisys
18th November 2008
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to plexisys Send a message via Yahoo to plexisys Send a message via Skype™ to plexisys
After listening to the samples I chose the Shure SM57 and Neumann KM84 for that particular kit. I guess you go with what you know or are used to hearing. I was surprised how weak the 414s sounded.

I thought the sound was fairly good and could see using them on some things, just don't know if it's different enough to buy 3 or 4 of them.

I'll have to do more research and some testing. I need to see how it sits in a mix as opposed to solo instruments.
19th November 2008
Old 19th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexisys View Post
After listening to the samples I chose the Shure SM57 and Neumann KM84 for that particular kit. I guess you go with what you know or are used to hearing. I was surprised how weak the 414s sounded.

I thought the sound was fairly good and could see using them on some things, just don't know if it's different enough to buy 3 or 4 of them.

I'll have to do more research and some testing. I need to see how it sits in a mix as opposed to solo instruments.
Well, that's the thing. You can't listen to ANYBODY's opinion other than your own. War and I use the 177/179;s almost exclusively. You prefer the 57's. Everybody doesn't hear the same, and to complicate things even further, we all do different styles of music and are looking for different effects. Glad you found something you liked though. That makes it a worthwhile listen.

Make sure you leave your thoughts and reasons over on the shootout page so that everyone who checks it out can benefit from your ears and experience!

bp
19th November 2008
Old 19th November 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
There are audio samples for this mic on Warren's site http://www.frontendaudio.com
Why am I not surprised you would use these mics. Let me guess this is your room mic and you use a pair of sm57's for overheads?
19th November 2008
Old 19th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Why am I not surprised you would use these mics. Let me guess this is your room mic and you use a pair of sm57's for overheads?

Well, if he gets a better sound than you can using expensive german mics, why not?

-tINY

21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

price does not mean there is automatically high quality there are some terrific quality products at good prices or as I'd say great values.

For example the SM57 is a staple all over the world and it's only $100 USD.

That's just one of many examples.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear maniac

How do you deal with the fact that the M179 is a condenser, so picks up the rest of the kit as well as the tom?
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Guru

What's the problem with that? Bleed is what makes "the sound". Without it, a kit would sound pretty dead and un-exciting. You just have to know how to make it work FOR you instead of against you. Also, the 179 has a hypercardiod setting for the cap if you prefer less bleed.
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

A big thumbs up for the CAD M179 from me, I have 4 of them now.

I use them all the time on toms, room mics, spot cymbal mics, pretty much on anything when all the other mics have run out! They are pretty neutral and versitile and well worth having a few around at the stupidly low prices they sell for.

www.giantwafer.com
21st November 2008
Old 21st November 2008
Gear maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to SMC Productions
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
A big thumbs up for the CAD M179 from me, I have 4 of them now.

I use them all the time on toms, room mics, spot cymbal mics, pretty much on anything when all the other mics have run out! They are pretty neutral and versitile and well worth having a few around at the stupidly low prices they sell for.
I'm going to second all the above. I got several from War on his advise, and haven't looked back since. I like the on overheads too!
23rd November 2008
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
What's the problem with that? Bleed is what makes "the sound". Without it, a kit would sound pretty dead and un-exciting. You just have to know how to make it work FOR you instead of against you. Also, the 179 has a hypercardiod setting for the cap if you prefer less bleed.
Thanks - I get what what you're saying. I think where that's difficult for me is that the mics I'm using for OVs - Earthworks SR25s, sound so much sweeter on Cymbals than the mics I'm trying to use for toms - 2nd generation Cad E100s. I don't want the sound of the OVs polluted with the sound of the Cads. The Cads are nice for the toms though.
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Is there really more bleed with those m179 condenser than there would with dynamic mics on toms?
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I think there is less in hyper. The bleed you do get is musical.
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Good to know, I didn't know condenser picked up more bleed then dynamic mics though...

Cause with the 421 on toms the bleed or should I say resonance I get from the tom is kind of boomy and in the way most of the time.

I wouldn't want a mic that is worst at this.
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Jai guru deva om

Many moons ago when I discovered the M179 on tom, before I decided to switch from my E/V ND468 (not knocking that mic, it's great especially on el gtr) I tested the M179 in hypercardioid in the exact same position vs the 468. The M179 performed identical, if not a little better (I was averaging .1dB less bleed from the CAD by comparison so pretty much a wash).

The bleed is nice on the M179. Also, experiment with cardioid too. You MUST engage the pad though on toms, I usually do on overheads also if used there (they have a beefy overhead sound).

War
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

i got a couple of these last year based on the gearslutz hype. They're pretty good on toms, but I wasn't blown away. I still use them frequently though.
I haven't tried them on much else. One of them is almost destroyed because it's been banged a couple times by drummers. If you've got some extra cash in your pocket, it's not a bad utility mic to have around.
May try them on OH next time.
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

What's a better mic? The CAD m177 or the m179?
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Jai guru deva om

M177 is the (now discontinued) cardioid only version of the M179.

War
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

thanks guys

I also heard about the Beyer Opus 88, anybody tried them?
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Cause with the 421 on toms the bleed or should I say resonance I get from the tom is kind of boomy and in the way most of the time. I wouldn't want a mic that is worst at this.
Agreed. When I used 421's almost exclusively on toms, I used to always gate the tom tracks in the analog days, and now in the digital days, I would cut out the places where they aren't playing. With the 177/179's, I leave them in all the time unless I'm trying to get a really tight, dry sound. The bleed they inject into the mix is pleasing. Or, some might say.......musical. LOL
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
I also heard about the Beyer Opus 88, anybody tried them?
Yes, and I can't figure out how to turn this thumb upside down:

thumbsup

The Beyer doesn't have near the depth and gives more bleed, the CAD is smoooother also in a pleasing way on toms.

War
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Gear maniac

Just used two 179's in to one of the new Black Lion Auteur pre's. All I can say is WHAT A GREAT VALUE!(fig 8 for vox and guitar) Has got to be one of the best low cost setups available.

Rob

MY Music:
www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=814924&content=music
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search