Login / Register

It's 4am...and I'm still in a session..anyone else??
New Reply
Subscribe
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Jai guru deva om

Actually it's 3am and I'm trying to call someone.

War
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

well in these times I would count your blessings that you are booked!
You can allways say "sorry, I can only work till 1:00am".
Since I purchased my new Condo in March, my girlfriend won't let me stay at the studio past 1am. 2am if there is a time crunch.
I used to mix till 6am, those days are gone!
Good luck!
mdjice
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
well in these times I would count your blessings that you are booked!
You can allways say "sorry, I can only work till 1:00am".
Since I purchased my new Condo in March, my girlfriend won't let me stay at the studio past 1am. 2am if there is a time crunch.
I used to mix till 6am, those days are gone!
Good luck!
Yeah business has been kind of shitty so I'm not complaining about the work, just the hours. I can't mix after 3 am my ears shut down but I use to track way past that. my wife is also getting tired of it but she tries to understand.
We just need more artist to work on a Normal schedule thats all

COLD CHAMBER STUDIO
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
We just need more artist to work on a Normal schedule thats all
Yes where are these Artists with normal schedules? i need a job with them, sign me up
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

M, I agree with you meeting your deadlines and renting the studio for extra income. Money does not come falling from the sky so take advantage. I book sessions only till Midnight, at latest!. But I stay in the studio till 3am on a regular basis tracking and working on my company's projects. Will I be able to do this till I am 40? No, but I am milking every second I got now to enjoy the fruits of my labor tommorrow.
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmain View Post
Will I be able to do this till I am 40? No, but I am milking every second I got now to enjoy the fruits of my labor tommorrow.
thats one outlook work hard today, play hard tommorrow

the only problem with that i have is that after working literally almost 7 days a week and at minimum 12 hours a day usually way longer than that tho, working those hours for the past must be five years or so has really worn thin on me and at times makes me want to quit the business altogether, i feel i have to somehow find a median in order to continue enjoy recording other wise it just becomes a chore and that really sucks
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Gear addict

My $.02.... If I could work in the studio as a full time job and make as good of a living as I do in my current profession, I would habitually be in the studio rediculous hours. Yes, you have to love it... Yes, I *DO*...
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulation View Post
thats one outlook work hard today, play hard tommorrow

the only problem with that i have is that after working literally almost 7 days a week and at minimum 12 hours a day usually way longer than that tho, working those hours for the past must be five years or so has really worn thin on me and at times makes me want to quit the business altogether, i feel i have to somehow find a median in order to continue enjoy recording other wise it just becomes a chore and that really sucks

I understand what you mean............I sure do. But that doesn't mean we cant take mini, weekend, relaxation vacations. Its neccessary man! Just get away from it for a day or two and clear you head from all the sonics built up in your brain waves. I live, eat, and breathe all that entails music at every spare moment I have, but after a couple of months in the studio, I feel like a microwave oven.
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

What happen to the those recording session of the 60's --in for 4 hours > tune is done . Tell those clients to be fully rehearsed ..save you and them ~~ time & money Rarely over 2 takes, for anything, in our studios ...but then again we do very little editing.

Bridging Old School to Middle School
A Tympanic Tweaker
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Ughh,

I used to do the all day-all niter. I got tired of that fast! I am strictly noon-midnight, unless they want to pay me time and ahalf!

Mdjice, if ya need a break, send a few guys my way!!

mdjice
31st October 2008
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Ughh,

I used to do the all day-all niter. I got tired of that fast! I am strictly noon-midnight, unless they want to pay me time and ahalf!

Mdjice, if ya need a break, send a few guys my way!!

yeah but they would be 2 am to 6 loool

I just noticed you are in Houston too
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

I finished half and hour ago (around midnight and something). Was ready to go to bed when the phone rang.

Since I reopened my studio I've done 2PM-10PMwith frequent late night sessions.

Ronnie Amighetti
(to)RoAm
location, mobile and live audio recordings
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

I have found if you setup your days and sessions at normal hours, set the tone for how things work, and you're actually busy, the clients get more respectful of your time. I'm double booking, and sometimes triple booking my days. There is no time for late night hangs, showing up late to sessions, etc. If your late, I'm mixing the next record . . . .

There's still a couple clients I'll break the rules for, but even they get on the program when they realize what happens when they're late or no show. It also depends on your clientele. I shy away from the late night types. . . . and they're in all genre's. You can suss them out on the first meeting, early lunch ?

--------------------------
http://www.robmixmusic.com
mdjice
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
I have found if you setup your days and sessions at normal hours, set the tone for how things work, and you're actually busy, the clients get more respectful of your time. I'm double booking, and sometimes triple booking my days. There is no time for late night hangs, showing up late to sessions, etc. If your late, I'm mixing the next record . . . .

There's still a couple clients I'll break the rules for, but even they get on the program when they realize what happens when they're late or no show. It also depends on your clientele. I shy away from the late night types. . . . and they're in all genre's. You can suss them out on the first meeting, early lunch ?
depends on the clients. My studio is NOT open to the public, only to Major artist I work with or people involved in the projects. When you are dealing with big artists they are extremely busy it's either you find time to work around their busy schedule or they find it somewhere else.
I'm a touring artists myself and between concert , TV show and events in the US and over seas I have a crazy schedule so I can relate.
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
depends on the clients. My studio is NOT open to the public, only to Major artist I work with or people involved in the projects. When you are dealing with big artists they are extremely busy it's either you find time to work around their busy schedule or they find it somewhere else.
I'm a touring artists myself and between concert , TV show and events in the US and over seas I have a crazy schedule so I can relate.
Mine too, again depends how you want to live your life and work Like I said, there's a few clients who can get me to work the crazy hours, but not many. . .
mdjice
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mine too, again depends how you want to live your life and work Like I said, there's a few clients who can get me to work the crazy hours, but not many. . .
I totally feel u but again I ONLY deal with these clients that would get you to work crazy hours
The local band or rapper cannot book my studio.
Anyways it's not like that everyday but I rarely have clients session during the day. these are mine.
by the way I'm in another mixing session right now and I'm going crazy...so guy around the studio decided to put a smoke machien along with a couple of JBL eons outside Full blast with thriller and ghostbuster playing in loop...I'm going CRAZY!!!
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I totally feel u but again I ONLY deal with these clients that would get you to work crazy hours
The local band or rapper cannot book my studio.
Anyways it's not like that everyday but I rarely have clients session during the day. these are mine.
by the way I'm in another mixing session right now and I'm going crazy...so guy around the studio decided to put a smoke machien along with a couple of JBL eons outside Full blast with thriller and ghostbuster playing in loop...I'm going CRAZY!!!
me too, again. Not worth arguing over. You're probably a bit younger than I am. At some point you make the decision as to what's more important. I haven't lost a client yet as they all understand the hours. If they want to work with you they get it. Works for Chris Lord-Alge big time.
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

your not the only one up til 4am doing mixes it seems its like that hear too after awhile it wears on you sometimes when im getting tired ill take a shot of vodka or something like that to wake me up a bit... some Tea and frequent breaks but it wears down on ya

(Chael) - Michael Thomas Candido-
mdjice
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
me too, again. Not worth arguing over. You're probably a bit younger than I am. At some point you make the decision as to what's more important. I haven't lost a client yet as they all understand the hours. If they want to work with you they get it. Works for Chris Lord-Alge big time.
I bet that If Michael calls you at 5 am to track a vocal of his monkey screaming and Money is not an issue...You will even bring bananas!!! I know I would
But you are right most people are cool and wait for me to be available but sometimes even with the best effort in the world night is the only time free....as far as Chaellus..Vodka??? u going HARD!!!! lol
PS: when I get as good as CLA I will MAKE people come to mix from 9 am to 5 pm with a 2 hour lunch break...Lunch on them of course
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

mdjiceI PS: when I get as good as CLA I will MAKE people come to mix from 9 am to 5 pm with a 2 hour lunch break...Lunch on them of course

Dont forget to provide Vodka...or Whiskey...lol and only sometimes do i do that at 4 am , hey it works sometimes...and when your sick.. with a cold or what ever anything above 80 proof is fine...
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Watch the schedule...it sounds like its not the working till 4am that is killing you, its working the day after. Not sure if its possible, but if someone wants to work 8pm-4am, see if its possible for them to pay for 9-5 the next day.
mdjice
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
Watch the schedule...it sounds like its not the working till 4am that is killing you, its working the day after. Not sure if its possible, but if someone wants to work 8pm-4am, see if its possible for them to pay for 9-5 the next day.
lol
I should book like this :
rates: from 1am to 6am> you have to pay for the following week of studio time (time needed to get some rest back)
THATS WORKS FOR ME
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

3:30am here in Houston...Mixing an alt-rock ep to be mastered in, oh about 6.5 hours.
Wouldn't have it any other way. ; )

Rascal Tonebuss, The Brute, Overstayer & Fathead II in classifieds!
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...w-lundahl.html
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

4:28am
Reamping Vocals and Guitars after doing some halloween rounds.

no client here, just doing what needs to be done.
"rules are for intersections" - UBK
"in the end it is better to keep the Emperors clothes on. At least this way people's ideals wont get damaged in the process." - thethrillfactor
Maudio? is that piglatin for crap? - allencollins
"Funny thing about the soapbox" - Slipperman.[/SIZE]
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post

Dont forget to provide Vodka...or Whiskey...lol and only sometimes do i do that at 4 am , hey it works sometimes...and when your sick.. with a cold or what ever anything above 80 proof is fine...
Dont keep too much whiskey around....it could lead to closing the session early. Wait, maybe thats not such a bad idea!!!
1st November 2008
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Steffmo
The doctor prescribes the following treatment:

Purchase local newspaper. Open to help wanted section.

Peruse the fine selection of employment opportunities open to you.

Suddenly, you won't feel so bad about whatever was bugging you.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search