Guitar Pedal board and effects
peabody
20th May 2005
Old 20th May 2005
Gear Head

Guitar Pedal board and effects

What a good pedal board system for live playing, one that has a powersupply.
Some good effects I want to sound like the guy from interpol or radio head but pedals and not a pod or anything.

Gracias
20th May 2005
Old 20th May 2005
Gear maniac

okay, I'll bite.

Get a Roland Space Echo and a vox AC-30 and turn it up half way. Then get a tremelo pedal and crank it all the way so you sound like a hellacopter.

There. You're in Radiohead.

That's basically every shoe-gazer band from the mid to late 90's and now too. Great gear but why don't you just play stuff that makes YOU sound the best YOU can sound. **** everyone else. You want to stand out don't you? Just don't buy Line 6.

20th May 2005
Old 20th May 2005
Lives for gear

You could go to www.thegearpage.net for lots of opinions and links to sites. A lot of people like Voodoo Labs PP-2. I just did a board with a Powerall and wish I had bumped the customer up to a PP-2. Most of the packaged boards with integrated power supplies are pure GC style mass market garbage. The pedals should make noise, not make noise.

and for all who care, the GASiest Gearslutiest way to get to RadioHead/InterPol is:

http://www.toneczareffects.com/lg-pedals-echocz.htm

and the ultimate slutyness:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...threadid=83279

Andy
20th May 2005
Old 20th May 2005
Gear addict

To be specific, the purple tremelo pedal from Dunlop does the best "space trem". It goes without saying that tape echos sound best; unfortunately they don't travel so well .

I'd wager that you'd get alot of milage from a Line6 Delay & Filter modelers.
20th May 2005
Old 20th May 2005
Gear maniac

Great! Thanks alot Andy. Now there's something else I won't be able to live without. And it just has to be $675! fuuck
peabody
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplove
okay, I'll bite.

Get a Roland Space Echo and a vox AC-30 and turn it up half way. Then get a tremelo pedal and crank it all the way so you sound like a hellacopter.

There. You're in Radiohead.

That's basically every shoe-gazer band from the mid to late 90's and now too. Great gear but why don't you just play stuff that makes YOU sound the best YOU can sound. **** everyone else. You want to stand out don't you? Just don't buy Line 6.

Maybe I sound newbie the way I prased question but Im not. I done much studio and live work and now have job with band that needs that kind sound for project. So I thought I ask for your opinions about gear.

Thanks for the informations. It is helpful to me.
peabody
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgraff
To be specific, the purple tremelo pedal from Dunlop does the best "space trem". It goes without saying that tape echos sound best; unfortunately they don't travel so well .

I have ibanez purple analog delay from early 80s? Is that similar to the line 6 modeling? Also I have dunlop tremelo pedal but it red not purple. Is that same one you mention? I thinking about trying a lexicon pcm before I go into amp. Tuner/overdrive/delay/compression/pcm?????

Sorry for my english.
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Gear maniac

peabody,
Those Boss trems are pretty loved by some. I think you need to go for a real foggy reverby echo machine. The Roland Space Echoes are perfect for that. I've had 3 and got rid of every one but that's not to say they aren't killer. They eat your tone a little but the echoes are super great and they have on board reverb. Pure analog magic that'll add to a big warm spacey tone.
And I believe that you need an amp that you can drive at least half way up on the volume. No master volumes! AC30's are great for that because it's only 30 a class watts which is perfect. You can crank the amp which will give you a nice loud lead dirty tone but you can back the volume off with a volume pedal or on your guitar and get a nice clean tone. The simpler, the better. I say AC30 because it's a combo and the EL84's are just a crazy tits tube that gives that natural tube overdrive that you just can't get with any fender or marshall. I mean, you can but it's different. The vox is a more tight focus overdrive that suits that kind of pop/shoe gazer stuff. Personally, I use a old 50 watt marshall plexi and old basketweave marshall 4x12, an old fender tube reverb unit and an old as balls tube echoplex. My overdrives slowly started to dissapear when I discovered that the amp CAN sound better than any overdrive or distortion unit. I use a fuzz when I need to be over the top and a KLON for simple boosts. I used to play the same kind of music but more along the lines of The Verve and Ride. Don't go digital. It just doesn't belong in live guitar. And there's no flippin' reason to go digital either. The analog delays and echoes will always sound better. It's those small imperfections that add to the vibe and sound. Get an echoplex and you'll never go back. It happened to me and I used to be a digital delay guy and I never went back. I tried once and couldn't do it. Enough from me.
j.
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
I have ibanez purple analog delay from early 80s? Is that similar to the line 6 modeling? Also I have dunlop tremelo pedal but it red not purple. Is that same one you mention? I thinking about trying a lexicon pcm before I go into amp. Tuner/overdrive/delay/compression/pcm?????

Sorry for my english.
I'm not sure if the red dunlop tremelo is the same. If you like it, then use it...

The line6 won't sound quite as good as an analog delay, especially a tape delay. However, tap-tempo & three memory locations, are worth the small sacrifice (for touring anyway).

I would advise you not to use the pcm. Others may disagree, but I find it too slick for use in a guitar rig.

I listened to the clips on toneczar.com - impressive indeed.
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Gear maniac

try a demeter tremulator. i really really like it.

i'll second the DL-4. it's really versatile and sounds quite nice. lots of really good sounding bands have been using them.
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

Can't speak for the Filter thingy, or even for the floor box versions of teh line 6 stuff, but the Ddelay Pro and Modulation Pro rack versions left my guitar rig very quickly. They had that high pitched whiney sound that I associate with some digital gear. Oddly they sound better on stuff in a mix or even soloed, as FX sends from teh board.
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Quote:
The line6 won't sound quite as good as an analog delay, especially a tape delay. However, tap-tempo & three memory locations, are worth the small sacrifice (for touring anyway).
The Line6 DL4 is a great idea that's unfortunately not fully realized.
The tap tempo function is great but it's limited to the sound that's in use. In other words: You can tap in the tempo for the song but if you want to change to another presets (say, for the solo) then you need to start all over again.
This is a MAJOR drawback and since there are so many sounds available, I also don't understand why there are only 3 presets.

The sounds are good...as long as you don't compare them to the real thing.
I just bought a new Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. The DL4 has a model of it but sonically it's just no contest.

Superfically the model is very close but in an actual playing situation you'll immedeately 'feel' the difference. The Memory Man has such a nice vibe and lets you 'halo' the notes without getting in the way. With the DL4 I'm always conscious of playing an emulation, the delays are more pristine/clinical and tend to get in the way unless exactly timed to the track.

Personally, I'm getting back to using a few dedicated pedals. Multi-effects and modelers are great on quantity but lacking in quality.

Tremolo-wise I really do recommend the Electro Harmonix Pulsar, incredible vibe and perfect for going beneath the beaten track. (Although it DOES work as a 'classic' Fender tremolo too)

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Lives for gear

peabody
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Gear Head

I will demo a the line 6 dl4. I don't liek the pod too much for live though prefer the real thing. I will try it though thanks. I wish I could find a space echo to demo. I used to have an original memeory man but where is it? Lol. I can't find it anymore.

I might use an AC30. My AC30 needs much work. I am nervous taking on the road. It 40 years old. I may try a reissue AC30.
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
What a good pedal board system for live playing, one that has a powersupply.
Some good effects I want to sound like the guy from interpol or radio head but pedals and not a pod or anything.

Gracias

Voodoo Labs for the pedal board,Fulltone for the effects,including the tape delay if that's what you want.
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Lives for gear

I like the Fulltone Supa-Trem for tremelo.
Lots of control.

Maxon for delays.

MXR for EQ. (Lots of others are good too).

Aphex Punch Factory (surprisingly good) and T-Rex for compression.
Carl Martin is also good.

I love this Jacques Chorus I picked up on a whim.
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikawkee
Here's a pic of my board:

http://www.edpettersen.com/edpettersen/Pedalboard.html

Works great, wired by Techstar.
Two different power supplies.

Nice work! One thing I always wonder when I see pedalboards like that is: how do you reach the ones that are the farthest away? I always have to have mine in single file. Must be a studio only job, huh? It's clean...nisssse!
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Nice work! One thing I always wonder when I see pedalboards like that is: how do you reach the ones that are the farthest away? I always have to have mine in single file. Must be a studio only job, huh? It's clean...nisssse!
Gracias! The pedals in the back are on small, raised platforms so they stick out just right to get to them. And yes, this baby stays in the studio. Never left. I run everything through it, especially re-amping.

Techstar did a great job. Expensive though!!!
21st May 2005
Old 21st May 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikawkee
I like the Fulltone Supa-Trem for tremelo.
Lots of control.

Maxon for delays.

MXR for EQ. (Lots of others are good too).

Aphex Punch Factory (surprisingly good) and T-Rex for compression.
Carl Martin is also good.

I love this Jacques Chorus I picked up on a whim.
I went to my local better than average music store to buy a Supra Trem and they werer out,they'd sold out their stock in about two weeks so I got a voodo labs tremolo.It's ok but I'm going to get the Fulltone eventualy,I use the 69 and 70 pedal for distorion,they are awesome.

Maxon Ad999 for delay, though Fuller now makes a tape delay (1000 dollars) .

I bought a Carl Martin Delayla and thought it sounded good but it broke down after two weeks,there are many many reports of the same thing so... dfegad on Carl Martin.
23rd May 2005
Old 23rd May 2005
Gear interested

I have personally used the Furman SPB-8 for many gigs and it works pretty darn good for being a all in one unit. The effects loop on it seems to be a bit noisy sometimes but the power supply is great and clean. It is a pretty big board big enough for me to hold about 8 pedals including a DL4 and a vox wah which are semi-big pedals. It obviosly won't hold as many pedals as a custom board that is a big as a sheet of plywood.

I am actually, however, trying to sell my pedalboard on ebay because I need something with a hard case which the Furman does not offer. So I have my sites aimed on the new SKB PS-45 which is just like the Furman (almost too much alike) except that it comes with a hard case. Both of those boards are very good and very well built, obviously they are not as sweet as some of the custom boards on the market but they are also not near as expensive so I highly recommend those two.

In my opinion, the best tremolo on the market is the Fulltone Supa Trem. If all you want is Radiohead sounds then you probably won't want it, but for everything else it is awesome. The one feature that sold me on it is the LED that flashes with the tempo of the tremolo even when it is in bypass. So you can be sitting back not playing, turn the big speed knob with your foot, and match it to the tempo of the song via the LED and therefore know what speed to expect when you engage it. Also, it has a hard/soft button to give you really strong tremolo for that "machine gun" tremolo or those soft tremolo's like some of those old school keyboards.

I hope that helps somebody when looking at pedalboards and/or tremolo pedals.
23rd May 2005
Old 23rd May 2005
Gear addict

Tremolo pedals are a problem. They're all different, and some of them really alter your tone and or level. I keep returning to the tremulator, but they're notoriously unreliable. Sometimes the dias tremodillo can be cool(a little more effected). Digital processors just do not sound good for guitar rigs. Especially "hifi" digital. I know lots of people use em, but they all just sound and feel empty to me. There are lots of decent sounding analog boxes out there. "All in one" units are evil. Vintage ac30s unfortunately do not tend to like being on the road.

chris rival
7th June 2005
Old 7th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper

http://www.edpettersen.com/edpettersen/Pedalboard.html

Hey, if anybody's seriously interested I might be putting this pedalboard up on E-bay soon. I've hardly used it, maybe three times, and it's never left the studio. I kinda' feel sad with it just laying around actually. I built wheels under the unit so it rolls flat (a beautiful thing) which makes it practical to haul. I paid $1200. US for the pedalboard wired (the board itself was $500. WHOLESALE) and I've figured the pedals in the board are worth over $850. on the used market. Techstar put two different power supplies in it to accomodate to Line 6. It is dead quiet and has two outputs, A&B. Anyway, the only pedal not included is the Maxon delay which I sold. I never thought I'd sell it but we have a deal in the house;if you don't use it in over a year, let it go.

I think a fair price is around $1400. for everything ($900. for the board and $500. for the pedals) plus $50. for shipping (it's heavy). If interested please send me an e-mail in the next week or so before it goes to auction:

edpettersen_at_srrecords_dot_com

Thanks a lot.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search