Tracking vocals with my Demeter VTMP-2b
New Reply
Subscribe
insomnio
22nd October 2008
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Tracking vocals with my Demeter VTMP-2b

I have a Demeter VTMP-2b, which is my main piano (nothing comes close to it in piano), over heads and fret-less pre. I bough nice RCA tubes for it. I wanted very warm sounding tubes to fill that gap in my studio. That's what I got. Now it's creamy, fat and dark (hmmm, like a chocolate shake). But now it is relegated to the "exceptions corner". I'll love to use it in vocals, but is so dark right now that I can't find any use for it in that task.

Does anybody know nice tubes for this unit that could make it suitable for vocals?
22nd October 2008
Old 22nd October 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

I had that exact pre. I used NOS Mullard CV series or NOS telefunken tubes. Just enough clarity while smooth. Not dark. RCAS should be fine for the 12bh7s, however. What mic are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
I have a Demeter VTMP-2b, which is my main piano (nothing comes close to it in piano), over heads and fret-less pre. I bough nice RCA tubes for it. I wanted very warm sounding tubes to fill that gap in my studio. That's what I got. Now it's creamy, fat and dark (hmmm, like a chocolate shake). But now it is relegated to the "exceptions corner". I'll love to use it in vocals, but is so dark right now that I can't find any use for it in that task.

Does anybody know nice tubes for this unit that could make it suitable for vocals?
insomnio
23rd October 2008
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I had that exact pre. I used NOS Mullard CV series or NOS telefunken tubes. Just enough clarity while smooth. Not dark. RCAS should be fine for the 12bh7s, however. What mic are you using?
I tried a Pearlman TM1 and a C414. The thing is that I work mainly rock and pop. I always end up using my APIs or the UA 2108.

I guess it would be nice for jazz or a smooth ballad...
insomnio
23rd October 2008
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Hey AB, what did you pay for those you mentioned?
AB3
25th October 2008
Old 25th October 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

That really tests my memory. I bought CV4004 tubes from Sandphoto on ebay at one point in time. A real good tube seller. I notice they do not have them on ebay now. I would not buy from just anyone on ebay, but Sandyphoto has always come through for me. They do have these and claim they are great:

2 MATCHED 12AX7 ECC83 TUBES-BEST I'VE HEARD-NO KIDDING! - eBay Vacuum Tubes, Tubes, Vintage Electronics, Electronics. (end time 30-Oct-08 23:11:54 AEDST)

Smooth plate telefunken 12ax7s work great in that unit. (I got some locally for about $25 each, but expect to pay at least $50 each now.) I might have a couple I am not using.

I think I might also have the Mullard 12AT7 that would be great. You should be fine with RCA 12BH7s.

Send me a private message and we will talk. It is a great preamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Hey AB, what did you pay for those you mentioned?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search