Old 5th October 2008
Gear addict

1176 vs 6176

Always wanted a 1176, but wouldnt mind a 610 to go with it.
However, the 1176 standalone is more expensive and takes up as much space as the 6176 so I find it hard to believe they are the same. Anyone tried both? How to these two versions of the 1176 compare?

Thanks
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

I have worked with both at a friends studio.
I just can say they are different but I do not know which revision my friend of his vintage 1176 owns.

I just can tell you my feeling both are great tools very usable and you can not go worng with one of them.

For the money I always would prefer the 6176 in this you have great mic pre and a great compressor....I do not care if they are the same I care if I can shape sound with the tools.... and you can also with the 6176
Old 15th October 2008
Gear addict

Thanks mate. Greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old 15th October 2008
Gear addict

I have heard both the 6176 and a silverface 1176 side by side. IMO the 6176 sounded spongey/farty at extreme levels of reduction. The 610 preamp really doesn't do it for me either.

I would just take the real thing any day.

cheers
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear
can anyone share settings for using a 1176LN for vocal chain? I know there are no magic settings, but just curious about general settings for attack, release, ratio, etc. This is my current setup:

Brauner Phantom mic -> Pacifica pre -> 1176LN -> Rosetta
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssprod19 View Post
can anyone share settings for using a 1176LN for vocal chain? I know there are no magic settings, but just curious about general settings for attack, release, ratio, etc. This is my current setup:

Go without compression or only soft and do it in the mixdown.
You wrote it there is no magic setting and every voice needs different settings or no compression....
This is the job of an engineer....to know the toll well and to work with it.

At the 1176 hope you know it Treshold is set with the input knob.
Read the manual!!!!!

It takes a few days to understand the 1176.
Work with it and it will show you its magic!!!
Old 16th October 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:

I would not suggest going over the 4:1 ratio for sure, attack and release will vary by singer and context.

The "AE" version has the 2:1 ratio which would be a bit safer for vocal compression in many ways. It also has the slow / 10ms attack setting which can work very well on voice, as well as a seemingly smoother release characteristic.

War
Old 16th October 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I have heard both the 6176 and a silverface 1176 side by side. IMO the 6176 sounded spongey/farty at extreme levels of reduction. The 610 preamp really doesn't do it for me either.

I would just take the real thing any day.

cheers
I agree here. I have a 6176 and like using it as an in-line comp for tracking, but when trying to pipe out a mono drum mix for extreme "all buttons in" smashability, it does really weird "spongey/farty" things like 1979 mentioned.

...I actually end up using that free BF 1176 plugin for these things instead of an actual hardware unit. Sad.
Old 16th October 2008
Gear interested

I love my 1176. It has a wonderful elasticity and use it a lot. I've hear the 6176 is a different animal altogether. Haven't used it myself. There's a reason why the 1176s are respected ... they sound great. Get the separate unit. Oh ... I have a 610 also and works well in conjunction. I prefer a clean pre however.
Old 16th October 2008
Gear addict

Quote:

There's some good info here:

1176 settings question...
Old 17th October 2008
Gear maniac

6176 is for thawing the digital source and 1176LN is for the rock star . I can't explain more simple .

I needed 6176 for my reaktor vsti and it's great . Reaktor is my guitar .

Alternative Nation
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search