Which mic do you prefer?
Old 28th September 2008
Gear maniac

Which mic do you prefer?

Slutz,

from these scratch takes, which mic do you prefer?

Both were recorded simultaneously, no eq, same pre, same compression settings used for both. No differences besides the mic.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 03 Track 03.mp3 (1.04 MB, 49 views)
File Type: mp3 04 Track 04.mp3 (1.00 MB, 63 views)
Old 28th September 2008
Gear maniac

AAC, putting mp3's up for the iTunes impaired. =P

-Freq
Old 28th September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm not saying this to be captain obvious or to be rude, but I think the more important question is "what do YOU think about those mics?"

Since the song is pretty stripped down at this point, and I can't tell what's up ahead, I really couldn't comment either way. They both sound like nice mics.

What do you think?
Old 28th September 2008
Gear maniac

I'm undecided, which is why I posted.

The shoddy, pitch all over the place scratch takes don't exactly help. But I need to make a decision on what mic stays up on his voice before I get any farther down getting him to actually perform a decent take.

I guess both sound like shit at this point?

One has more air, the other more body.

One sounds more natural, but less expressive, the other sounds hyped, but more exciting perhaps. I'm wondering if the mic on track 04 will be to hissy on some systems.

It also seems to take EQ less easy, then again I might not need any.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? I know what I think, I posted to figure out what other people are hearing...

-Freq
Old 28th September 2008
Lives for gear

I like track 4... seems a little brighter and able to cut through better during the busier sections. A tad on the borderline for being a bit sibilant though (nothing some light de-essing couldn't fix).

Track 3 seems darker, and less detailed. Tends to get buried in the fuller sections.

IMHO... and to my ears anyhow
Old 29th September 2008
JMc
Gear addict

Their sound difference is negligible. The second sample sounded a bit more sibilant, maybe. That was about it.
Old 29th September 2008
Gear maniac

interesting...

I hear a huge difference between the two.

-Freq
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

I can see your dilemma. Track 3 has a bit more character, more atmosphere/room. Track 4 sounds safer to me and perhaps would be easier to add other instruments to and mix, but would then sound more like everything else out there. Depends a bit on how much other stuff needs adding, if not too much I'd probably consider 3.
Though being Libran, I'd probably try to use a bit of both.
Old 29th September 2008
Gear maniac

It blows me away when people can't hear the obvious differences. I agree that 03 has more character, and more ambience, but I don't like it...it emphasizes the more guttural and nasal aspects of your voice (that's not a judgment of your voice, it's a judgment of what the mic is doing for it). It's a touch too wooly and fuzzy...tube mic? 04 is "tamer" but it sits better in the mix, and has more of a sheeny dreamy sound that suits the song.

There's another thing: everyone talks about matching mics to voice...how about matching mics to the song???
Old 29th September 2008
Gear maniac

no offense taken, not my voice...

In fact 03 is a transformer-less FET mic, while 04 is a tube mic.

-Freq
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

I personally liked 03 better if it were used just like that. 04 may be better suited for a busier song. I don't know anything though.
Old 29th September 2008
Gear maniac

Im wondering if the answer is that neither are working.

Again its hard to tell, because by these takes, you'd think the guy could barely even sing. His delivery was all wrong, singing way too loud, so his pitch drifts, and there is no intimacy at all...

Beyond that though, 03 sounds fuller and more natural, and I think some of the wooley lows would go away with a bit of low end cut.

I agree that 04 fits better in the mix as of now, but I wonder if the sibilance will be a problem later. Also, you really can't touch it with EQ, or it just falls apart. I do like the extra air though.

Very hard decision. One thing you cant hear because of the buttloads of compression, is that 04 seems to respond to volume changes alot easier, and is more expressive, while 03 sounds more even and natural, but less emotive.

decisions decisions decisions...

-Freq
Old 29th September 2008
Gear maniac

Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

You also can ask which car do you prefer Porsche or Mercedes or just Volkswagen???
Its up to your taste not to ours!!!
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

4 is better. Less nasally, needs a little de-essing around 8-10K, but other than that is ok. The pitch is a little bit tough to get by though. No matter what it won't sit in a mix that far off pitch, but I'm pretty sure 4 is the winner. Either mic would work though. What mics are they??? PM me if you don't want to post it.

Neil
Old 30th September 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks for the responses.

Mics are UMT70s and AK47.

-Freq
Old 30th September 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
You also can ask which car do you prefer Porsche or Mercedes or just Volkswagen???
Its up to your taste not to ours!!!
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement...

Any driver worth their salt would prefer a porsche, over just about any mercedes, and definitely over any VW.

A good german like your self should know this...

=)

-Freq
Old 10th October 2008
Gear maniac

I prefer track 4 in your song,it's more upfront and smooth high end.it's should be ak47.
track 3 got more warm tone in mid,it needs eq to stay in the mix.
it's very subjective that you don't like the high in track 4 or intend to have the more vintage tone in track 3.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search