What headphones keep sound in?
New Reply
Subscribe
EMYHR
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Gear interested

What headphones keep sound in?

And by the question i mean i need some headphones i can blast and my mic doesnt pick up the escaping noise.
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Jai guru deva om

Extreme Isolation from Direct Sound...they are the greatest for this type of thing. I use them on drummers all the time to keep click tracks out of overheads, etc.

War

EMYHR
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Gear interested

i was looking at those just now but it seemed by the info provided that they block you from hearing outside noise, but i guess from your reply they also keep the sound in and from reaching my mic
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Lives for gear

I use custom moulded in-ears, but other than that, I've found the AKG 171s are really good for isolation and relatively inexpensive. Comfortable too.

I think they are 55 ohms.
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Gear interested

yeah akg is my brand too i have the c 3000 mic right now or b im not sure lol and thats the only mics ima ever buy very pleased with them. im just getting tired of having to turn my headphones down so i can get a straight vocal track
EMYHR
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Gear interested

i just need a def answer to my question before i buy either one of those headphones i need some headphones that i can blast and if ur standing next to me u cant hear a peep
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Gear maniac

Sounds like you just need a pair of closed back headphones. Sennheiser HD280 work fine as well as the extreme isolation, beyer dt770 there are lots of headphones out there, you just need to get to a store to listen to some.
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMYHR View Post
yeah akg is my brand too i have the c 3000 mic right now or b im not sure lol and thats the only mics ima ever buy very pleased with them. im just getting tired of having to turn my headphones down so i can get a straight vocal track
Most of the time there's nothing wrong with a little bleed in the vocal track. Once you bring the backing tracks up, it's not bleed anymore.
EMYHR
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Gear interested

yeah i know i never had a problem with it before i just feel it would be of better quality without no bleed
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Gear Head

Vic Firth drum iso headphones... $52.99 at Guitar Center... they rule... cheapest pair of headphones in the store, and IMO, the best value. Gotta make sure and get the ones that are actually headphones... They make ones that are just like earmuffs.

I own 3 pairs and you can use them with vocals, and get no bleed from the mix playing back into even the most sensitive condenser mics.... or with drummers and keep the blaring click track/mix out of the overheads... they're great.
20th September 2008
Old 20th September 2008
Lives for gear

I get good results with AKG 271s ... pretty good isolation, and little if any leakage at sane volume levels.

I have to also agree with travisbrown... a little headphone leakage is not gonna kill ya
21st September 2008
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Basically, any closed headphones keep sound in.

Ear-canal headphones will probably do this best, becaise as they are in the ear canal the level will be very low to give you a high sound level in the ear.

But I would not actually use them as you describe - personally I would use good normal closed headphones.

HOWEVER - doing what you describe is extremely dangerous and can permanently damage your hearing!

Do it at your peril!

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
21st September 2008
Old 21st September 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

senheizer Hd280 Pro's are good for that, and are pretty nice for a $100.
21st September 2008
Old 21st September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Extreme Isolation from Direct Sound...they are the greatest for this type of thing. I use them on drummers all the time to keep click tracks out of overheads, etc.

War
Yeah, I hear these are the best for what you are looking for. Do they have neodymium magnets? anyone know?
22nd September 2008
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post
Do they have neodymium magnets? anyone know?
There is nothing special about Neodymium magnets, other than they can have a larger magnetic field for the same size of magnet (or the same magnetic field in a smaller size).

The downside is that Neodymium is more brittle.

To be honest, it is not important at all whether the magnet is Neodymium or not - the manufacturer would have designed the headphones to perform at their best with the magnetic material used.

Neodymium is just marketing hype - it's a good magnetic material, yes, but it's not a magic product.

Most manufacturers don't even say if it's Neodymium or not as it's so unimportant. Though probably a large number of headphones use Neodymium just because you can make the headphones smaller and lighter for the same power.
22nd September 2008
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

I have found Beyer DT770m 's to be very good at keeping the sound inside the cans.

Check those things out, they're very useful in everyway

-Tomi
22nd September 2008
Old 22nd September 2008

No, companies will write it down on the box. My old pair of senheizer head phones did not have them (but they are old). When I got my 280 HD pros, The clarity and head room for the sound I was hearing was much more reliliant sounding, and I could hear subtle naunces that changed the way I even mixed. It may be because they are newer, but they also have a different magnet, and that is the key difference here.
22nd September 2008
Old 22nd September 2008
Jai guru deva om

I forgot to mention, More Me just started shipping some iso headphones with in ears at a very reasonable price. Harvey sent me a pair to try out, very effective and low cost.

War
22nd September 2008
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

I currently use Beyer 770's and they work really well, but I would think the airplane hanger thingys would work better. I've always wondered how well they sound in comparisom and if they are comfortale.
Cameron
22nd September 2008
Old 22nd September 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post
No, companies will write it down on the box. My old pair of senheizer head phones did not have them (but they are old). When I got my 280 HD pros, The clarity and head room for the sound I was hearing was much more reliliant sounding, and I could hear subtle naunces that changed the way I even mixed. It may be because they are newer, but they also have a different magnet, and that is the key difference here.
How can you possibly (actually I know how YOU can, but let's pretend for a moment you're not dylansmale) attribute the change in sound purely to a type of magnet?!

Honestly mate, you really say some dumb things sometimes.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search