Login / Register

Quick question - can you run other preamps through an the ISA428 ADC?
New Reply
Subscribe
talkshowman
14th September 2008
Old 14th September 2008
Gear maniac

Quick question - can you run other preamps through the ISA428 ADC?

Ahoy hoy, quick question for all ye knowing minds.

Is it possible to run other preamps through the ISA 428 digital card using the XLR through-puts (not sure if that's the term for it, but I mean channels 5-8 on the digital end of things) as opposed to using the line ins?

I have searched but can't find an answer to this. Reason I ask is, if you had the ISA 428 and say an API 1324, could you run the API through this ISA's converters? They're two packages I could imagine picking up over the next while and wanted to see if I could make this work.

Feel free to jump in and tell me that A) 'it won't work' B) 'it will work' or C) 'why would you want to go through such folly? You clearly have no idea what you're doing'

Thanks in advance

Last edited by talkshowman; 15th September 2008 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: title typo
14th September 2008
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Yes.

Steve
talkshowman
14th September 2008
Old 14th September 2008
Gear maniac

Much obliged for the reply Steve, good to know.
15th September 2008
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

You're welcome. That is what the additional 4 ADCs are for, although of course you can also use the line inputs and/or insert returns on the main preamp channels for this as well if you want. But with any coloration that would come with them... not really too much from my experience with the 428.

Just a tip, I have not verified this myself but Focusrite has been making a bit of a promotion over the advanced quality of the newer 828 ADC card, as compared to the older 428 card (either one will fit in the ISA 428 chassis). Also supposed to run much cooler, even without the heat sink that was needed on the old one. Just FYI in case you have not bought the card yet, might want to give the 828 card a shot.... I have been thinking about it myself.

Steve
talkshowman
15th September 2008
Old 15th September 2008
Gear maniac

Hmmm, that's quite good to know, thanks for the tip.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search