Mid to Up-tempo = ---bpm?
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Mid to Up-tempo = ---bpm?

What would y'all define as 'mid to up-tempo' (as a range) for a commercial pop/R&B song.

Example:

80 - 100 bpm+ ?

or

100 - 120 bpm + ?

Thanks.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Head

I'd say midtempo would be anywhere from 100-140 and uptempo would be around 160-180.

a lot of the indie rock stuff i do winds up at 172. It's a good number.
Old 5th September 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Yeah, even slow songs can be at 136, look at Portishead-The Rip. I've made a dance song at like 114. It really depends how you want to shape it with chords and layers and time.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post
Yeah, even slow songs can be at 136, look at Portishead-The Rip. I've made a dance song at like 114. It really depends how you want to shape it with chords and layers and time.
Good points.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear nut

make a map

Sometimes it's helpful to think of a few tunes who's tempos you know well from slow to fast and memorize their bpm's
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Guru

It's the numeric answer to everything.

Call me old-fashioned but, if I'm writing, I might start with a ballpark tempo but my ear will tell me quickly enough whether I'm on the mark, or not. (That said, I've been working with drum machines for almost 3 decades.) One thing to consider is that a given rhythm can be mapped in different ways across beats and bars... mind you, there's usually a way that makes the best sense... but it's proportional, how you count it out across the measures.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Anywhere within that realm (80-120)
120 is pop and als the tempo of a mother's heartbeat.
Hence very popular.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear addict

Too me it all depends. Many times a track at 140 moves as if it were at 70. Some tracks at 100 have a heavy energy due to packing 16th and 32nd notes with bass or heavy percussion. It could feel like 200.
BPMs are only a small part of a tracks energy.
Maybe not.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search