Login / Register

is uaudio precision limiter cleaner than L1?
New Reply
Subscribe
electric
22nd April 2005
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

is uaudio precision limiter cleaner than L1?

hi all,
got to quickly glue together a mastered vocal track w/mastered instrumental before i ship to record pressing. i had to put an L1 limiter on the master fader to tame about 1.0 db on the peaks. both tracks have already been mastered by a real mastering house and sound great. the L1 does not seem to be attenuating anything noticable as far as high/low end. however i am doing this remotely and do not have my studio references to listen on. i am doing this through sony mdr headphones and a yamaha stereo system.

is the precision limiter a little more transparent than the L1 even at very low limiting levels (1-1.5 db)? if it is i will quickly purchase and bounce to audio with the precision just for safety. my demo expired a while ago. i am not a mastering engr so i have always been fine w/ L1 but this is a special situation. (fixing a mix that had way to HOT vocals. i am regluing the instrumental w/ vocals for a more balanced mix) i dont want to pop for $200 unless its a good idea.

electric
22nd April 2005
Old 22nd April 2005
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Ummm...why are you adding L1 to a master? You said this was already mastered right?

To answer your question, yes it's more transparent. At 1 dB, the difference probably isn't real big though.
electric
22nd April 2005
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

when mixing acapella/instrumental to get same levels as main mix you peak a bit at time over 0. (probably due to fact that limiting in the mastering chaing was attenuating more with combination of the two) i still have most of the sonics of the chain. the L1 tames the momentary digital peaks. to be honest i cant tell the difference w/ the L1 and the original mix. however i am using very limited ref monitors.

i am just being anal. the song sounds great. probably wouldnt make a diff. (especially to anyone who is going to listen to the records). i go to the record pressing shop today. dropping our first single. wish me luck. thumbsup

electric
23rd April 2005
Old 23rd April 2005
Gear maniac

To me the PLim sounds far superior to the L1. However, the differences really start to become more apparent at +3dB of limiting or so. It becomes most obvious in the bass region. At only 1dB of limiting, the differences are probably negligable.
23rd April 2005
Old 23rd April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBrian
To me the PLim sounds far superior to the L1. However, the differences really start to become more apparent at +3dB of limiting or so. It becomes most obvious in the bass region. At only 1dB of limiting, the differences are probably negligable.
I agree. I think the UA Precision Limiter is hands down better than the software L2 and L1 I've used. THat said, I doubt I'd be able to hear a difference between them with only 1db of limiting. I've been comparing the results when SMASHING the audio.
23rd April 2005
Old 23rd April 2005
Gear addict

I have tried most of them ....... plim is good for softer things like ballads or acoustic material ...... but NOBODY is talking about Timeworks Mastering comp .... aka limiter ...... IMHO it is by far transparent clear and veeeeryyy punchy ..... which you can not say about plim ( about punch ) .

Am I the only one that can hear that ?

Max
23rd April 2005
Old 23rd April 2005
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max headroom
but NOBODY is talking about Timeworks Mastering comp .... aka limiter ...... IMHO it is by far transparent clear and veeeeryyy punchy ..... which you can not say about plim ( about punch ) .

Am I the only one that can hear that ?

Max

You're not the only one...it sounds far better than the L2 IMHO.
19th March 2014
Old 19th March 2014
Gear interested

A little bit better than the L2
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search