Results on “your 3 favorite mic pres”
insomnio
Thread Starter
#1
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Results on “your 3 favorite mic pres”

Results on the “List your 3 favorite mic pres” thread posted by Agno:

Votes|Model

23 Neve 1073
21 API 512
13 Chandler TG2
12 API 312 (and its variations)
12 V76
12 Great River
8 John Hardy
7 Neve 1081
5 Helios
5 DW Fearn VT2
5 GT Vipre
5 Buzz MA 2.2
5 Millenia HV3
5 GML
5 Martech
4 Universal Audio 610 (and 6176)
4 V78
4 Wunder PEQ1
4 Focusrite ISA 428 (and 430)
4 Pendulum MDP1


As you can see, I didn’t post anything below 4.
When somebody posted a tie between two units I counted both.
If anyone posted more than three, I counted them too. Those aren’t many cases anyways.
In case of responses like “API” with no model specification I counted as 512.
I didn’t take in consideration the order in which everybody placed their choices because not everyone followed it.
There where more than 80 different models of pres in the poll.

I’ll keep the results a few days in case anyone wanted to know additional results.

Insomnio

Last edited by insomnio; 21st April 2005 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: format arranging
#2
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #2
Gear maniac
 

wow, great thing - thank you.

and

i need to buy 1073, i need to buy 1073, i need to buy 1073, i need to buy 1073, i need to buy 1073, i need to buy 1073, i need to buy 1073, i need to buy 1073, i need to buy 1073, you get the picture. i have the tg and some 512, but no 1073 that i own personally. damn.
actually the top three list looks like my personal preference list. strange somehowe, isn t it ?
#3
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
bassmac's Avatar
 

Great news!!! With my 6176, I’ll only sound like four other people.

Sorry for the 1073 owners... too many users - no originality. lol

insomnio
Thread Starter
#4
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
If you take in consideration that for most people API 512s and 312s are the same in terms of sound quality, then API beats Neve here.

In the other hand I didn't include results for other Neve units like 1064 (1 vote), 1084 (1 vote) and few 1073 clones like x73 and 473 (3 votes in both) and LTD1 (3 votes).
Of course 1064 and 1084 are not equals of 1073.

I
#5
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #5
one man, ONE mic pre
I personally think any API sounds like an API and any discrete Class A Neve sounds the same as well.

But I DO find myself wondering how many people who voted for 1073's actually have used them, instead of clones.
insomnio
Thread Starter
#6
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmac
Great news!!! With my 6176, I’ll only sound like four other people.

Sorry for the 1073 owners... too many users - no originality. lol

Not bad! Only 20 out of 80+ had more than 3 votes. Your 610 was one of them.

I
#7
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #7
Gear maniac
 
exfakto's Avatar
 

Im amazed at how low the Focusrite 428 did. I remember a while back when people were posting their studio pics, 95% of them had a 428 in their racks. They get dissed here all the time but then again, almost everybody has one.
#8
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #8
Gear nut
 
Micgiver's Avatar
 

API 512, Drawmer 1960, J.Hardy M1
insomnio
Thread Starter
#9
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
I personally think any API sounds like an API and any discrete Class A Neve sounds the same as well.

But I DO find myself wondering how many people who voted for 1073's actually have used them, instead of clones.
Good point.
But if they are clones, shouldn't then be counted as 1073? That's the intention on buying a clone. Right?
The poll was not so scientific anyways. We don't know how many really have those units.
Insomnio
insomnio
Thread Starter
#10
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micgiver
API 512, Drawmer 1960, J.Hardy M1
Isn't it over yet?
I see you liked it!!!
I
#11
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #11
Gear nut
 
Micgiver's Avatar
 

sorrty i thought i might squeez it in just because
Mac
#12
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
 

Quote:
But I DO find myself wondering how many people who voted for 1073's actually have used them, instead of clones.
I said exactly this same thing in the "3 favorite" thread and many people responded that they had the real deal???

Quote:
Hummmm I noticed a WHOLE bunch of people listing 1073's, 1081's etc. So are these really 1073 NEVE or clones???



Not that I have an issue with clones or anything but they really are not the real deal (no don't go their, I am not flaming). I am interested to see which "clone" wins on this thread and if people are listing Great Rivers for 1073 then that distorts things a bit don't ya think??

I guess my point it there must either be a bunch of people listing clones as 1073, 1081 or I am in the company of some rich people (anyone spare a dime... or $3500 so I can join the club??)..
#13
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #13
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
Of course 1064 and 1084 are not equals of 1073.

I
Of course they are! The 1084 and 1064 is almost exactly like a 1073 in everyway except that they have a few more frequencies to choose from. Many would say theyre better because of that......I would say the clones aren't equals, but other Neve 10XX class A modules certainly ARE equals.
#14
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #14
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Of course they are! The 1084 and 1064 is almost exactly like a 1073 in everyway except that they have a few more frequencies to choose from. Many would say theyre better because of that......I would say the clones aren't equals, but other Neve 10XX class A modules certainly ARE equals.
Actually many would say the Neve class A and class A/B modules are almost equals as well. At least the Neve A/B modules are closer to the "Neve" sound than some of the poor quality clones (not that all clones are poor quality but I hear some are.... you know what I am saying....).
#15
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #15
Moderator
 
toolskid's Avatar
 

horace peetershaum will be disappointed his units didnt get a mention
#16
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Marjan's Avatar
 

Thanks insomnio...!

Well done...!!
insomnio
Thread Starter
#17
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #17
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Of course they are! The 1084 and 1064 is almost exactly like a 1073 in everyway except that they have a few more frequencies to choose from. Many would say theyre better because of that......I would say the clones aren't equals, but other Neve 10XX class A modules certainly ARE equals.
That's what you say. I've read many purists aguing about that. If I said that the were the same, probably many would jump to say the contrary. That's why I provided myself an escape there.
For me...I don't care. Everybody loves Neve's 10xx, and everybody wants to sound like them. (Now jump on me because I said that too!!!)

I
insomnio
Thread Starter
#18
21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
  #18
Lives for gear
 
insomnio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Gonna work now, any questions for me about the results...give me a few hours.
Bye.

Insomnio
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Agno / So much gear, so little time!
173
James Lugo / High end
231
Journey Pope / High end
48
chessparov / So much gear, so little time!
6
out1ear / High end
36

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.