DIY SPDIF Cables?
New Reply
Subscribe
bradb
20th April 2005
Old 20th April 2005
Gear maniac

DIY SPDIF Cables?

I'm going to build a 75Ohm SPDIF cable to go from my Mytek AD to my 002 Rack... Any recomendations on lengths, brands or types of cables or RCA connectors?

thanks!
20th April 2005
Old 20th April 2005
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Don't use Hi Fi RCA connectors. Most are around 25 ohms impedance. Use Canare F-10's or Kimber RCA's for digital. Canare Spdif cable is OK, use Kimber AGSS for better results. Use SN62 2% silver solder.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
bradb
20th April 2005
Old 20th April 2005
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Don't use Hi Fi RCA connectors. Most are around 25 ohms impedance. Use Canare F-10's or Kimber RCA's for digital. Canare Spdif cable is OK, use Kimber AGSS for better results. Use SN62 2% silver solder.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response. It seems like the Canare F-10 isn't a 75 Ohm plug. Their RCA 75 Ohm plugs are all crimp type, which is nice, but the crimp tool is like $80... for two crimps, its not worth it.

Seems like all 75 Ohm RCA plugs out there are crimp type....

bb
20th April 2005
Old 20th April 2005
Gear addict

Never used Kimber, but Canare's been good to me. L-4CFB coax and RCAP-C4F connectors. The connectors are crimp, though. If you just need one cable assembly, you might try one of these supply houses that will put it together for you, so you don't have to buy the crimp and die. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather promote diy, but sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Markertek, IIRC, uses Canare cable and connectors for their "off the shelf" assemblies, though I imagine you could specify whatever you want. There are a lot of good supply houses out there, btw. Redco, Gepco, Hotwired.. there have been a few threads here on GS about custom cable assemblers and suppliers.
bradb
20th April 2005
Old 20th April 2005
Gear maniac

21st April 2005
Old 21st April 2005
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Electronic City in Burbank CA sells pre made 75 ohm cables. They use the Canare connectors with the 75 ohm video/spdif cable soldered with sn62 2% silver solder. They are marketed as SilverSonic cables. They are also available with 75 ohm BNC connectors as well. Cost is about $13 for a 6 footer.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search