Login / Register

Anyone have r84, 77dx, 44bx audio clips?
New Reply
Subscribe
dingo
27th March 2005
Old 27th March 2005
Gear addict

Anyone have r84, 77dx, 44bx audio clips?

Before I go to the trouble of renting these mics, I was hoping someone might have (or might point me toward) some audio clips of the r84, 77dx and 44bx. Coutant.org has a clip or two of the RCA's, but they're really apple to pork chop. I was hoping for something a little closer to apples-oranges or apples-apples, but anything's useful. I'm basically just trying to get a handle on the differences in flavor between these mics.

Also, for those of you who have a 77dx and r84, would it be possible to get close to the sound of a 77dx with an r84 + tweaking? I'm assuming they sound different, but perhaps not so different?
28th March 2005
Old 28th March 2005
Jai guru deva om

The day we received AEA stock I ran home with one and threw it up on several sources. I have no comparitive clips and dont' claim these to be anything but clips made with an R84 on the quick!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...2079&alid=1018

Hope this helps.

War

28th March 2005
Old 28th March 2005
Lives for gear

Hey there.
We've had an R84 for about a year now. We just bought a second one last month.
Amazing on electric guitar amps. Very good on vocals and acoustic guitar. Great on drums.
Doesn't really shine in the "room" application, or for overheads, IMO, but I can't imagine not having it around.

Hope it helps,
Seamus
dingo
28th March 2005
Old 28th March 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
The day we received AEA stock I ran home with one and threw it up on several sources. I have no comparitive clips and dont' claim these to be anything but clips made with an R84 on the quick!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...2079&alid=1018

Hope this helps.

War
Thanks, War. Yeah, I remember listening through those clips when you first posted them.. or rather, pointed to them. Thanks for making them and thanks for leaving them up.
28th March 2005
Old 28th March 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblesound
Amazing on electric guitar amps. Very good on vocals and acoustic guitar. Great on drums.
Doesn't really shine in the "room" application, or for overheads, IMO, but I can't imagine not having it around.
That's exactly the order of usefulness I've found having one in my own studio as well. Its performance on guitar cabs alone make it more than worth the investment.

Just bring a pop filter.

War
dingo
28th March 2005
Old 28th March 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblesound
Hey there.
We've had an R84 for about a year now. We just bought a second one last month.

Hope it helps,
Seamus
Vocals are my primary interest. See, I have this fetish for "old" sounding vocals, spoken word and dialogue specifically. Films from the 30's through 50's, the sound of the actors' and actresses' voices have a very particular character, and that character seems to be something more than simply their talent. It's pervasive, it's always present and so rich. I can't seem to let it go. I want a similar sound to play with.

I started a thread a number of months ago on film sound from that era, and what I gathered from the great responses was that this particular sound was largely due to the ribbons of that time and optical recording. Well, I've determined that it would be difficult to get into optical recording, but ribbons would be a mostly painless way to get close to that sound, and close is good enough to me.

But would a up-to-spec ribbon from that era be necessary, or would a less expensive, modern ribbon be capable of getting close? Say, if I were to cut the highs and perhaps boost the mids on an r84, could I get close to a 77, given a complimentary pre? Or could something similar be done to get the flavor of a 44 out of the r84?
28th March 2005
Old 28th March 2005
Lives for gear

You should really look around for an RCA 44. I know AEA makes a new version of it, costs $$$ but sounds amazing (acording to a friend - sorry, not first hand knowledge). The 44 is the sound of the 30s and 40s.

Have it looked at by someone who knows their stuff.

You can also find a 77 for a few hundred more than an 84. Why not go for the original if that is the sound you are looking for.

"An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way." - C. Bukowski
dingo
29th March 2005
Old 29th March 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.
You should really look around for an RCA 44. I know AEA makes a new version of it, costs $$$ but sounds amazing (acording to a friend - sorry, not first hand knowledge). The 44 is the sound of the 30s and 40s.

Have it looked at by someone who knows their stuff.

You can also find a 77 for a few hundred more than an 84. Why not go for the original if that is the sound you are looking for.
44, RCA or AEA, is going to be too expensive unless I get lucky. 77 is definiately an option if I can't get there with an 84. I had thought the 84 may have been the best option, though, since it was supposedly designed as an updated? version of the 44 and is probably going to be less expensive than an up to spec 77. That's why I was hoping for some audio clips, to try to get a handle on which ballpark I'm in.

Last edited by dingo; 29th March 2005 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: r's and t's, damn it
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search