New Reply
Subscribe
Musicfuelzgood
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Musicfuelzgood
My name is mud...speaker question.

So recently I bought a Blue Sky system. I love mixing on these speakers(including the sub), but when i transfer my mixes over...I'm experiencing a boost in the lows. I transfered the bounced PT tracks over into Peak and cut some 100Hz out, which seemed to solve the problem, but I'd rather not have to do this all the time. Any tips on what I can do to have my mixes translate better? Especially from my monitor speakers!! I was expecting them to translate much better than this, esp. with the sub attached. All help is appreciated.

-b
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

Its most likely your room, not your speakers....That being said, you can try boosting your sub for a short term solution....
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

Another common idea is to import a two track of a similar genre that you are familiar with and know that it sounds good into your session. Or route it from your CD player through same D/As if you have the connectivity.

Compare and you´ll understand much better where the crux might be.

Usual range for boom sits around 200 to 400 Hz, mud roughly likes to live between 500 to 800 Hz I think.

Ruphus

Wolgang Burr, former office leader of the German Chancellor before committee of inquiry: "You would not believe what unusual happens daily."

"Patience, young Skywalker - let the object of your desires come to you." JTR

"All thinking men are atheists." Ernest Hemingway
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
Another common idea is to import a two track of a similar genre that you are familiar with and know that it sounds good into your session. Or route it from your CD player through same D/As if you have the connectivity.

Compare and you´ll understand much better where the crux might be.

Usual range for boom sits around 200 to 400 Hz, mud roughly likes to live between 500 to 800 Hz I think.

Ruphus
I'd say boom is lower...more like 80hz to 200 approx.
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

regardless of monitors and room problems, something that will probably help is always having a "boom box" hooked up to reference during a mix. Try to find one that really exagerates/hypes the bass and also listen to your favorite reference cds on it (so you don't mix bass shy either)....you will find the sources that need to be cleaned up or turned down.....
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H
I'd say boom is lower...more like 80hz to 200 approx.
I used to think so too.

Ever skinned it below 200 Hz, brought the mix to neighbours stereo and ... still have boom?

40 to 200 Hz certainly is an area to watch out for, but it isn´t that much what makes the typical boom mix as many think, I think. And that´s prolly why so many mixes stay booming, though everybody knows that the problem is supposed to sit below 200 Hz. Innit?

Ruphus
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

I think we each must be talking about a different kind of boom.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search