Le Studio Morin Heights?
New Reply
Subscribe
sphereman
25th February 2005
Old 25th February 2005
Gear nut

Le Studio Morin Heights?

Just wondering about this place. Is it still open? Its url address went to one of those domain server listing sites. No listings for it anywhere.
25th February 2005
Old 25th February 2005
Lives for gear

Hi,

It's been closed for some time already ( I wanted to record there last year ) . It's gonna be transformed in hotel I think .

Volodia
25th February 2005
Old 25th February 2005
Gear addict

Yeah, I remember the owner lookign for a buyer as long ago as 95'.

Cool history, cool location, the maintenience went to hell in the end IIRC. they were accepting crazy low bookings for the last few years though.

- Remoteness
sphereman
25th February 2005
Old 25th February 2005
Gear nut

I knew a few people that did a record there and really liked it. Sad to see it go. When did it close?
27th February 2005
Old 27th February 2005
Lives for gear

I believe the building and land is up for sale for about $1 million Canadian funds. There is an artificial lake in the back and the house that served for musicians burned down a few years ago (believe it or not after all the rowdy R&R bands that stayed there it was a Irish or Galic band that caused the fire!). The original owner had sold a long time ago to a TV production company that finally sold it to another production company. It was relatively inactive for quite a long time. But it was very cheap to track there.

A lot of history (Cat Steven, BeeGees etc) passed through.

I had a friend working there and visited a few times. The atmosphere there was that of a ghost town sadly. I have no idea where all the equipment went.

I've lost track of my friend since a while so that is all the info I have (and not 100% accurate I am sure).

Jim
27th February 2005
Old 27th February 2005
Gear maniac

I live in Montreal and can attest to the relative state of mortallity of that studio. A friend of mine tracked a TV soundtrack over there and could not believe that he was the only client they had during that time. That was in June 2001, so they have been in decline for a long time.

People who went there: The Rolling Stones, Sting, The Police and countless Canadian acts. The time of the "all included" residential studios where you could go record and have a vacation at the same time is over...

Vermeer
28th February 2005
Old 28th February 2005
Gear maniac

I grew up near there in Ste. Adele... was sad to see it went out........

"You will always be at the mercy of the idiots that surround you."
- Mixerman
28th February 2005
Old 28th February 2005
Lives for gear

Actually they had clients and could have had more but after André Perry sold it, that was it. The new owners didn't have his vision and it slid into obscurity.

Most musical projects were from the U.S. or Europe due to the low Canadian dollar (which has risen dramatically in the last year). The people working there seemed powerless to help.

Everytime I went there in the last few years there was a mood of gloom and isolation not really a place you want to create in.

Jim
28th February 2005
Old 28th February 2005
Lives for gear

Started hanging around Morin Heights in '76 when the only music was Rose's Cantina. I used to play at the Commons all the time in the early 80's. Some of the acts recording at Le Studio would stop by for drinks. Used to dig the vibe. It was cool being from MTL and having a world class studio up North.
Really miss the skiing and hanging in the Laurentians now that I live in Austin. And of course the smoke meat, Lafleur's hotdogs and orange juleps. Don't miss getting in a cold car in the middle of Feb though. Dig the music scene more in Texas but I do miss the women up there.
28th February 2005
Old 28th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyd
Started hanging around Morin Heights in '76 when the only music was Rose's Cantina. I used to play at the Commons all the time in the early 80's. Some of the acts recording at Le Studio would stop by for drinks. Used to dig the vibe. It was cool being from MTL and having a world class studio up North.
Really miss the skiing and hanging in the Laurentians now that I live in Austin. And of course the smoke meat, Lafleur's hotdogs and orange juleps. Don't miss getting in a cold car in the middle of Feb though. Dig the music scene more in Texas but I do miss the women up there.
Hey Kelly,

I was there around the same time! I played downstairs from the Commons once and Cat Stevens was in Le Studio. His band came down and jammed with us. (yes I tried to viisit but Cat was very private and didn't want to see anyone).

Lafleur's has not changed (except more modern and cleaner look). Schwartz smoke meat is till the best in North America as well as Montreal bagels!
The Orange Julep is still there also.

The music scene here is very different from other places in North America due to the mix of cultures.

Oh yes...the women are still the most beautiful and sexy. This is my opinion but I haven't travelled as much as an Australian friend of mine that works all over the world and confirmed this fact.

I would love to visit Austin. I may have a chance to go to Atlanta this summer and I hear its got a gret music scene as well.

Just saw one of my favourite songwriters in Montreal last Friday. Jimmy Lafave based in Austin.

But.....we are supposed to get 25 inches of snow tomorrow! But if you are from Montreal that's not that bad! 8-)

Jim
28th February 2005
Old 28th February 2005
Lives for gear

Ah yes the bagels. Is the Old Bagel Factory still around? Outremount if I remember correctly. MTL food is unique to the rest of N. America. Hope the music scene has changed since I left. Things had chilled out by '83. Still miss The Moustache, The Maples (my 2nd home) and The Pretzel. Heard the Spectrum (old Club Montreal) is still around. Remember turfing off the stage one gig there. It was a long way down before you hit the floor. Used to love those old S4s they had for P.A. They really kicked.
BTW, think Jimmy Lafave still lives here. Know a couple of his old band.
28th February 2005
Old 28th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyd
Ah yes the bagels. Is the Old Bagel Factory still around? Outremount if I remember correctly. MTL food is unique to the rest of N. America. Hope the music scene has changed since I left. Things had chilled out by '83. Still miss The Moustache, The Maples (my 2nd home) and The Pretzel. Heard the Spectrum (old Club Montreal) is still around. Remember turfing off the stage one gig there. It was a long way down before you hit the floor. Used to love those old S4s they had for P.A. They really kicked.
BTW, think Jimmy Lafave still lives here. Know a couple of his old band.
I think the Bagel Factory may still be around. Its been a while for me since I have been down that way (Fairmont and St-Viateur or Duddy Kravitz territory).

The music scene is better than the 80's for sure (didn't music die in the 80's? It did for me). We have the Jazz festival and the live venues and clubs with live acts have been multiplying.

The Maples burned down in the 80's in case you didn't know. I live in the west island now and there are few places for live bands here. If you are looking to make living as a musician though forget it! Although living here is still cheaper than anywhere else in North America. Spectrum still there along with St-Denis theatre and the Metropolis as well as Club Soda. These venues are around the same size in capacity as the Spectrum. Many more than that as well. Also many small to medium size clubs that have live entertainment.

I really don't get into many local bands except a few Blues ones. Jimmy Lafave is an amazing songwriter with a melancholy voice that will make your lady friends cry (and I must admit having a tear or 2 sneek out of my eyes). If any of you have never heard of him you have to give this man a listen. He has a great style for Ballads.

Kelly, what instruments do you play and what style, I am curious.

Sorry to all for hijacking this thread but its fun to hear from Montrealers anywhere. Montrealers have a love hate relationship with this city and Iam always curious as to why some of us stay and some leave.

Jim
1st March 2005
Old 1st March 2005
Lives for gear

I moved to the states in '84. I was still there when The Maples burned down. I think Karston was selling it anyway. MTL never was able to sustain an intown scene for working musicians. I had to make my living on tour out of the city most of the time and out of the province for the most part. Ontario and the Maritimes. Nice to see that Club Soda is still around.
My main instrument is bass. I make my living as a producer and eng nowadays. When I turned 40 in 2000, I sort of retired form touring. Still do the occassional euro tour but it's easier and more profitable doing the studio thang here in Austin.
Sorry guys for hijacking the thread. I'm the one most responsible for getting it off track.
Jim, e:mail me and we can discuss MTL further if you wish. Haven't been back since '88. Best regards. Kelly.

kelly@studioplush.com
1st March 2005
Old 1st March 2005
Gear maniac

OK,

So in conclusion:

- Montreal used to have a vibrant scene. Now its disco and Bon Jovi.

- Montreal women are the best in the world. In some regions (Saguenay) there are still 3 women for each man. Pretty cool

- There are many women because many men, like Kelly left to get jobs and never returned.

- We make the best bagels and smoke meat. Yes, its a fact.

- Le Studio Morin Height was great, but it's not there anymore.

I'm I forgetting something here?

Vermeer
1st March 2005
Old 1st March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermeer
OK,

So in conclusion:

- Montreal used to have a vibrant scene. Now its disco and Bon Jovi.

- Montreal women are the best in the world. In some regions (Saguenay) there are still 3 women for each man. Pretty cool

- There are many women because many men, like Kelly left to get jobs and never returned.

- We make the best bagels and smoke meat. Yes, its a fact.

- Le Studio Morin Height was great, but it's not there anymore.

I'm I forgetting something here?

Vermeer
Well Montreal was THE scene in the 40's and 50's and some would add into the 60's. By that I mean it was a sort of crossroads for all the entertainers.

Like everyone Moontreal's music scene did decline in the 80's but it picked up in the 90's and there is a lot of music inthis city not just Disco or Bon Jovi. Like all "good" music today you have to search it out for yourself and make it a duty to spread the word when you hear soemthing that is unique and of high caliber.

The Folk Alliance put on an amazing roster of musicians last week here. Did you see any of them? It wasn't disco or Bon Jovi.

Artists like Jimmy Lafave who don't write songs to sing in shopping centres do exist but you have to do some digging.

Now if you are talking about our own musiicians well like I said earlier our mixed culture does not present a good atmosphere in order for some music to reach a critical mass. There I agree with you.

The 3 to 1 ratio in Saguenay (or anywhere else in Quebec) is a myth, I know 'cause I've been there and except for our own real rednecks (including easy rider gun rack in the back of the pickup...a long story) I found nothing unusual in the ratio. Of course maybe I just didn't get my share! 8-)

This thread is great! (if you are from Montreal...appologies to all others ).

Anyone else not from here but has visited? What do you think?

Jim
1st March 2005
Old 1st March 2005
Lives for gear

Sherbrooke used to kick ass for women. Used to love playing there. Old Quebec, esp Rue St. Jean was unbelievable in the early '80s. Sorry couldn't help meself. (Hopefully the last of my off topic contributions).
3rd March 2005
Old 3rd March 2005
Lives for gear

Nobody mentioned Rush. Permanent Waves and others were recorded there with Producer Terry Brown and engineer Paul Northfield.

Permanent Waves is a great sounding record. Limelight, Freewill. Rock on. Todd
Minneapolis
API Legacy +
http://www.winterlandstudios.com
4th March 2005
Old 4th March 2005
Gear maniac

I was born and raised in MTL but moved to LA quite a few years ago. Guys remember what street The Friers Pub is/was on? Played there about 25 years ago. It certainly is a very deverse town. Hey let's not forget Gino Vannelli. His vibe paved a lot of roads.

Back to the original post, had no idea Le Studio MH was shut down. What a shame. That place certainly had it going in the 70's 80's...
11th March 2005
Old 11th March 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzzi

This thread is great! (if you are from Montreal...appologies to all others ).

Anyone else not from here but has visited? What do you think?

Jim
Well, I'm not from Montreal, but I've got many friends from there and I've visited. There's no doubt about Montreal women. It's that Parisian influence, I think.

I agree about the 'love/hate' thing. Most people I know from MTL rave on endlessly (and sometimes annoyingly) about what a fantastic city it is. Oddly, they never seem to move back even after years of pining for their beloved island city. I've never figured out why that is.
JTR
11th March 2005
Old 11th March 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando
Well, I'm not from Montreal, but I've got many friends from there and I've visited. There's no doubt about Montreal women. It's that Parisian influence, I think.

I agree about the 'love/hate' thing. Most people I know from MTL rave on endlessly (and sometimes annoyingly) about what a fantastic city it is. Oddly, they never seem to move back even after years of pining for their beloved island city. I've never figured out why that is.
I'll tell you why

Montreal is the home base of Leonard Cohen, The McGarrigles and Rufus Wainright,
Le Cirque De Soleiil, Jesse Winchester, Robert Charlebois, Diane Dufresnse, Charles Biddle, Dido, Nelson Symonds, and lots more..

It is a fascinating combination of Europe (Paris), America(New York), & Canada(Quebec)...

It is really F**N cold for about 1/5 the year

It isn't taken seriously as either a financial, political, or manufacturing center by the rest of Canada anymore...so it's not a mover & shaker on an international cultural level, the way other places are; It could be; it has alll the ingredients for it, but the criical mass isn't there...

Too bad;
in some ways, it's the most American of cities.

But in it's day, it kicked ass, swaggered, and charmed like no other North American city... It was, and is, the only Canadian city with sex appeal

If you are not from Montreal, then you don't understand that;

If you are from the rest of Canuckia, then you are dead below the waist anyway, and don't get any of this..,,

Long live Steamies...
11th March 2005
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

I am sure many cities have their charm. New York for instance, although I've only been there a few times, I loved it everytime!

Lets not make this a "Montreal is the ultimate city" thread! I was just shouting all those things 'cause you don't often hear about Montreal.

Rufus Wainright? You have to be kidding? Never liked his parents either! See, there is no accounting for taste.

Leonard Cohen.....an artist that actually won the best vocalist Juno (Canadian version of Grammy) and said at the mike while holding his award "only in Canada can I get a best vocalist award".

I think we Montrealers sort of miss the old days. But Montreal is very active on the artistic side. I think the fact that its very cheap to live here allows struggling artists to survive longer.

I think the day that Montreal started to allow strip joints with their moving light signs was the day it became more like other cities and lost much of its charm and individuality (not that I have anything against Strip bars, but they have the worst taste for signs!).

I am sure New Yorkers and other fascinating city folks love their cities as much as we love Montreal. Maybe there should be another thread called "What is great about your city". Cities are really people, and people are the most interesting thing on this planet (so far).

How Gearslutish of me eh? (eh is strictly a Canadian owned word and can only legally be used by a bonafide Canadian!)

Jim
11th March 2005
Old 11th March 2005
Gear maniac

I've got my priorities straight. I stay in Montreal because:

1) The music. It's so fragmented and spans across two languages, its great. From Mireille Mathieu and M to Daniel Belanger and Claude Dubois.

2) It's easy and relatively inexpensive to go to anywhere in the world from the Trudeau Airport. I would move if I was forced to stop at Pearson each time.

3) The women. All beautiful, *thin*, warm and friendly, yet fierce and independant (very low rate of marriage). Not bitchy and arrogant like the Europeans and not as focused on money as the Americans (don't flame me, you know it's true...). Yes, I've dated all over ;-) . The clostest to them in the world are Dutch women (really an exception in Europe).

4) The quality of living - The city is so innexpensive that when I was younger, I was able to work 1/3 of a year as software programmer to get enough to live on for an entire year. I would spend the remaining 2/3rd indulging in various aspects of the arts. This allowed me to get really good at what I do and probably contributed to my level of hapiness because there's nothing I didn't try.

5) Not for the food. I'm not into hot dogs, maple sirup, "chinese pate", smoked meat and "poutine", so I'm out of luck.

Ciao,

Vermeer
11th March 2005
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermeer
I've got my priorities straight. I stay in Montreal because:

1) The music. It's so fragmented and spans across two languages, its great. From Mireille Mathieu and M to Daniel Belanger and Claude Dubois.

2) It's easy and relatively inexpensive to go to anywhere in the world from the Trudeau Airport. I would move if I was forced to stop at Pearson each time.

3) The women. All beautiful, *thin*, warm and friendly, yet fierce and independant (very low rate of marriage). Not bitchy and arrogant like the Europeans and not as focused on money as the Americans (don't flame me, you know it's true...). Yes, I've dated all over ;-) . The clostest to them in the world are Dutch women (really an exception in Europe).

4) The quality of living - The city is so innexpensive that when I was younger, I was able to work 1/3 of a year as software programmer to get enough to live on for an entire year. I would spend the remaining 2/3rd indulging in various aspects of the arts. This allowed me to get really good at what I do and probably contributed to my level of hapiness because there's nothing I didn't try.

5) Not for the food. I'm not into hot dogs, maple sirup, "chinese pate", smoked meat and "poutine", so I'm out of luck.

Ciao,

Vermeer
I don't see an "anglo" musicians or artists on your list. That is because Montreal has pretty well stopped producing good english artists due to the culture drain. If you are into Americana, Blues or R&B (original R&B not the modern R&B) forget it. I can count on my hand the good musicians for those styles in this city. Don't get me wrong its not that there are no great musicians here its just there should be more!
Same with recording engineers and producers (flame me its OK). Lately I've been to the supposedly best studios here and teh sound, franckly "sucked". And I don't mean that compared to really amazing recordings. No, I mean compared to stuff I have heard people getting at home! I am just appaled at the lack of knowledge or imagination or sensitivety. Last one I was at they just put up a bunch of expensive Neumans on the drums and pressed record! (voice of the owner) "Oh yes, I have great mikes, I have Protools HD, I have all the trendy outboard gear."
Still the drums sounded like cardboard! This is from one of the up and coming places here! 3 days and $5,000.00 later my friends still had no workable tracks! They finally convinced themselves that going back to their little home studio would sound better. That is one of the sad things about this city.
When the standards are mediocrity than "lousy" becomes "Good".

I can't argue about the ladies (and I'm married).

Montreal has no good food besides hot dogs? C'mon! You have great French, Chineese, Italian, Thai, Cambodian etc. cuisine in this city! Beats out any other city this side of the globe except maybe New York.

Vermeer are you an engineer? A Producer? What do you think about the state of recording here?

Jim
11th March 2005
Old 11th March 2005
Gear maniac

Jim,

You are right: I mentionned artists from France and french Quebec but no english artist. We used to have Me Mom & Morgentaller (now disbanded), Slaves On Dope (Now in the States) and others but quite frankly there is more originality coming from the french side. For great imagination in english Canada I vote for BC and the maritimes.

I totally agree with you sound wise. We suck! I think this is due to the fact that most french-language songs are quickly mixed and mastered and still achieve great sales. Why change something that already works? The production value is comparable to Italian and latin music. Go to a latin music store and try to find something that sounds like Mutt Lange or Trevor Horns. This is not a put down: it is just the reality of producing (most) non-english music. Whenever I'm in Japan, I cannot believe the cheeze they have on the radio. Somebody please take the reverb away from them! We're not in the 80's anymore.

French pop music style of production is very different than english. French pop songs are usually mixed with the vocals wwwway up front and a very amateurish 60's wall of sound instrumentation track going on in the background. As a result, you can pretty much tell within 5 seconds of a song intro if it's going to be french or english. One notable exception was when The Rita Mistuko hired Tony Visconti (David Bowie, T-Rex) to produce their "No Comprendo" album. It rocked!

As for the food, I'm sorry, but I have travelled all around and see nothing special here.

I'm a 3D software engineer in Montreal. Music is just a very serious "hobby" I've been doing for 15 years. So, that makes me a part-time slutz ;-)

Regards,

Vermeer
JTR
12th March 2005
Old 12th March 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jim,

The production value is comparable to Italian and latin music. Go to a latin music store and try to find something that sounds like Mutt Lange or Trevor Horns. This is not a put down: it is just the reality of producing (most) non-english music. Whenever I'm in Japan, I cannot believe the cheeze they have on the radio. Somebody please take the reverb away from them! We're not in the 80's anymore.
Vermeer
Funny you should say that: I'm mixing a sophomore project for an Italian artist who came over here to track with R'nB players to get that pop-R'nB sound, with the big reverb'd up front Italian style singing:

The instructions were; think R Kelly, but with loud vocals...
14th March 2005
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

I grew up in Montreal, left for the US in '93.

At that time, we had just experienced the peak of the french-english brouha-ha and possible secession of Quebec, being one half-point away from a potentially pivotal referendum. I would go back about twice a year to visit my family and friends - as I still do today - and at that time, it looked like a depressed city, deflated, like someone had just gutted it, stripping it's personality away and leaving it out in the cold (NPI), looking like a "has been". Melancholic, nostalgic and sad, stores closing everywhere, companies moving to Ontario and the US, unemployment on the rise, etc...

Fast forward to more recent trips....

The place looks like it's booming right now. Mind you, I'm not there year-round so my perception may be slighly skewed. The Vieux-Port is happening, bike paths, roller-blades, etc. Ste-Catherine Street is finally getting it's shit together, particularly in the Atwater and Guy areas. The Plateau Mont-Royal is bubbling with life (albeit expensive by Montreal rent standards - though coming from NY, I see it as quite affordable - go figure), and the women, 'nuff said, they don't get any hotter than that, be it summertime with a flower dress on or in a February blizzard with a parka. The radiant smile, the baguette and the cafe-au-lait while listening to Piaf in a St-Denis street cafe will just get ya.

As for music and 'the scene', and whether or not they have "it", nothing could be more subjective.

I grew up in a house with french being the first language, European culture was seeping into my consciousness daily, hearing Aznavour, Brel, Dalida, Ferrat, Brassens, and all those cats on the radio and my dad's record player, there is certainly a mainstay of older 50-70's European pop which makes it's way as an influence to newer generations of french bands and artists (it got to me too, somehow, and I do instrumental stuf...).

That said, I would agree that most recordings of modern day French pop, from Quebec or France, is just god awful (ie: Mylene Farmer, like her, but not the sound of her records). It does sometime seems like they're a bit behind, for lack of a better term, just kinda basic and tonallly bland. Either that, or it's way glossy and overdone. Weird...

I'm an 80's child, though at that time, I was clearly aware of the April Wine, the Beau Dommage, the Leonard Cohen, Diane Dufresne, Offenbach and Robert Charlebois (great ****ing beer he makes now) which came before the new wave hit. I think Montreal had some great acts in the early 80's, which often went unappreciated elsewhere, such as Men Without Hats, The Box, Rational Youth, Handful of Snowdrops (from Quebec City), etc. Sure, it was new-wave, it was pop, but while Duran Duran were starting to pop up in my cereal, it was nice to have some good local talent as well...

I was gone for most of the 90's but from what I gather, an important indie scene was starting to percolate, especially on the french side, like Jean LeLoup, GoVanGogh, Les Co-locs, etc. Nowadays, Montreal is on everyone's lips when discussing the advent of great new rock/indie bands, like Les George Leningrad, Arcade Fire, among others. Stylistically, it may not be for everyone, bu there is definitely a big music scene on the rise, one which was actually featured in the New York Times a few weeks ago. There is also MUTEK, a rather excellent electronic music festival which takes place yearly. Some great labels are also setting up satellite offices in Montreal, such as Ninja Tunes, etc...

In my 12th year in the US, after living in Denver, LA, and now NY, I can honestly say that my next move will be taking me full-circle, back to Montreal. It has shed some ugly skin, and seemingly become the effervescent city it once was (would have love to experience Montreal in the 50-60's).

Food? Schwartz on Ste-Cat's is the best smoked meat, if that's your thing.
Lafleur - there's usually an ambulance parked in the driveway, go figure (save time by not having to call after your second poutine!)
Spectrum - still there, nothing changed.
Foufounes Electriques - shit, played there in '87, looked totally different last time I went, big patio, and most shockingly, quite clean! Cool vibe there as always...
The old Forum - that's the nostalgic kicker for me. A cinema and some shops, restaurants, etc. Such a historical place turned shopping mall, oh well...life goes on.
14th March 2005
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to PlugHead Send a message via Skype™ to PlugHead
FWIW,

I lived in Montreal to finish my undergrad (B.Mus. @ McGill) in the late 80's, and I would've loved to stay on, but sadly, there was no work in the post-Mulroney years: couldn't even get a job pushing a broom for minimum wage, let alone gig for money. I admit, the cost of living was the lowest of any city in this country, but without work, it's meaningless...

I was just back for the first time in 15 years last May: the city definitely looks different - cleaner, and a bit quieter, but was really nice to be back. I visited all the old haunts (Foufounes, Shwartz's, etc) and a few new ones. I don't know about you Vermeer, but on Prince Arthur St. (sp?) was some of the best cuisine in the city - all sorts of ethnic eats, and the most reasonable prices in Canada (back in the day, it used to be $3.25 for every meal on the strip - that way they avoided charging tax on dinners...) - if there's anything I miss in my current town is the lack of good eats, and there are plenty in Montreal

A nice walk down memory lane for me - of all the city's in this country, I have to say montreal is the top of the heap, with halifax second, and Vancouver 3rd, if you can stand the rain...

regards - and sorry to continue to hijack the thread!

http://www.plugheadproductions.com
14th March 2005
Old 14th March 2005
Gear maniac

Krou,

Wise of you to move back to Montreal. Yeah, I lived on St-Marc, near St-Catherinne in 1990-1992 and the whole stretch between the old Forum and McGill was like right off a Tarantino movie: shady people, dirty streets, peep show parlors, etc.. For the last 5 years, I've lived in the Plateau district, near St-Denis and it rocks. The city is definitly on a roll these days, as it is the case everytime there is no seperation referendum (sigh...)

As for Foufounes, I know that they did close at one point and reoppened. The old management was having a terrible time with the police, who did not appreciate the kids who where hanging around there. For non-Montrealers, the Montreal police are a totally out-of-control PD and have had an history of shooting people for no reason - specially blacks and punk kids.

PlugHead, about the job situation. It is well-known that the powers that be made it practically impossible for an unilingual english-speaking person to make a decent living in Quebec, specially in the arts. I'm still angry when I think that Albert Nerenberg had to leave for Toronto to get his films made. We will never know what we lost.

Good luck to all. We will always remain Montrealers inside.

Vermeer
14th March 2005
Old 14th March 2005
Gear addict

Montreal

I lived there from 67-70 - near the old Montreal Forum on Greene Ave. New York was a relatively short and very pleasant drive from there. Went to Woodstock. Saw Janis Joplin (amazing!) at the old Montreal Forum as well as the Doors, for whom the opening act was "Les Quebequois" who entered on the backs of Harley motorcycles accompanied by actors dressed as French troops marching down the centre aisle. Bubblegum grade "revolutionary" "music". Scary! 80% of the audience was probably high on psychedelics and getting more and more anxious for Jim Morrison who was still not on stage yet after 45 min of warm up/intro by his band. He finally appeared and grabbed the mic stand and screamed "Babe" (the first utterence in "When The Music's Over") and thrust the stand away from him and started staggering backwards, getting more and more off-balance until he finally fell heavily against the wall of speakers surrounding the rear of the band (no exotic PAs then). They nearly fell, but didn't. He stood up and finished the rest of the show perfectly, although the guitarist snuck the melody accompanying the lyrics "all the lonely people"into one of his (very extended) solos.
I really loved Montreal and my plan when I left for Victoria, my hometown, was to return to the Laurentians and have Mtl close by but not to live there. I lived close to downtown and the air was very bad a lot of the time. I'm still in Victoria and plan to stay! I do location recording of the acoustic kind and travel a little to obscure places, like Ukraine and Armenia recording orchestras.
14th March 2005
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the last 5 years, I've lived in the Plateau district, near St-Denis and it rocks.
My last 2 years there, I was livng on St-Denis @ Ontario Street. The brownstone building that houses the "Mmmuffin" shop, my apt was right above it. The windows literally wrapped around both streets, we'd often sit at the corner window and just drink and watch people, it was better than tv!

As for moving back, I'm waiting to get more consistent freelance work here in NY beforehand. I do music for tv ads, worked at a music house for about 2 years and now freelancing. It's not easy and I don't want to go up there and feel like I'm starting over, so to speak, already aware that the jobs pay much less (so does the cost of life, I suppose). That said, I haven't really investigated the possibilities of that market up there (ad agencies, which music houses are hot, is is as saturated as it is here, there may be 1 or 2 to cover it all, etc..). I'll look into it on my next trip over the summer.

What really hit me last time I went up, is the realization that buying property up there can actually happen! Again, I'm looking at it from a NYC perspective. No more down payment is required, and a stunning loft which would set you back about $500k-$1M in NY would be about $300K up there, in a great are at that. Even renting is still seemingly affordable compared to what I'm used to now...Something to consider for sure.

I also apologize for hijacking this thread but it's really nice to hear from other Montrealers, whether still living there or not.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search