Login / Register

Buying a Mac Pro...Which One Should I get?
New Reply
Subscribe
youngmain
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Buying a Mac Pro...Which One Should I get?

I run Pro Tools Le 7.4 with the Music Production ToolKit so I have 48 tracks available. I also have Sonnox plugs, Waves Gold, Waves SSL, WAves API, And Wave V-series plugs. I will also by one or two more plugs in the future but Im highly satisfied as of now.

Question: Is a MAc Pro, 8 core 2.8ghz 4gb ram, powerful enough Or should I move to a 3.2 ghz processor with 4gb of ram?

I usually put 2-4 plugs on each track but also set up busses to handle some processing.
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Drum9uy
the 8-core 2.8 is equipped to handle your needs, and at the price difference, the 3.2's aren't worth the marginal gain.
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

A 2.66 ghz 8 Core Mac Pro with 4gigs of RAM is sufficient. My rig is nearly identical to yours. I did bump up to 6gigs (self installed, third party RAM) though. 48 tracks with processing just starts to show up on this system. Not even a hick-up as long as you run the latest OSX and PT 7.4.2

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new purchase.
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

We live in a world where a $400 Windows laptop will do a fine job of running the types of projects you are talking about. A $3500 desktop of any sort should do a remarkable job.
youngmain
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Guys. You think it would be possible to run these types of plugs on a Mac Book Pro dual 2.6 with 4gb of ram? You know, to be portable...
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous View Post
We live in a world where a $400 Windows laptop will do a fine job of running the types of projects you are talking about.
Then what about using an i-Mac like this one? www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iMac20-24/

I'm computer shopping, too. I would dearly love for someone to explain to me which Mac computer I need.

At minimal expense, which Mac (be it Mac Pro, i-Mac, or laptop) will comfortably support something like Pro Tools LE or Logic, and a reasonable amount of plugs? And what sort of I/O device do I need to buy for audio and MIDI?
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

I just bought a macpro 8 core 2.8 machine and i'm runinng lots of vi's in multiple sequences with nay a hiccup.I pulled up my performance window to see how it was handlng 25-30 tracks with the plugs and hardly using 20% of the computers power.Its great to not have that be a consideration anymore.I got mine with two internal 500 mb drives and saved more money monitor wise going with a hp2408 24" monitor and saved 500 bucs mates!

Dan P
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmain View Post
I run Pro Tools Le 7.4 with the Music Production ToolKit so I have 48 tracks available. I also have Sonnox plugs, Waves Gold, Waves SSL, WAves API, And Wave V-series plugs. I will also by one or two more plugs in the future but Im highly satisfied as of now.

Question: Is a MAc Pro, 8 core 2.8ghz 4gb ram, powerful enough Or should I move to a 3.2 ghz processor with 4gb of ram?

I usually put 2-4 plugs on each track but also set up busses to handle some processing.
Buy the best computer you can afford, it will last longer and be more valuble in the future. That said, I'm on a 4 core 2.66 with 2 gigs ram and I have no problems running massive amounts of plugs and instruments. : )
tsd
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
tsd
Gear maniac

I just bought the entry level Mac Pro ( 2x 4core 2.8) with normal ram

I can get all 48 tracks of the toolkit, with 5 URS channelstrip pros per track running at 256 buffer at 24bit, 48K

so thats 240 compressors and eqs.

it will do the job, save the grand!!!
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
A 2.66 ghz 8 Core Mac Pro with 4gigs of RAM is sufficient. My rig is nearly identical to yours. I did bump up to 6gigs (self installed, third party RAM) though. 48 tracks with processing just starts to show up on this system. Not even a hick-up as long as you run the latest OSX and PT 7.4.2

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new purchase.
Ditto.
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Gear nut

single quad

what about the single quad? how does that compare to getting an 8 core??

Matt

Rada Studios
http://www.radastudios.com.au
*Polishing Turds Since 2004*
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem5 View Post
what about the single quad? how does that compare to getting an 8 core??

Matt
Personal decision, but most agree it's not worth the $ you save, plus you can't add it later.

My advice: spend the extra money and be set for several years to come.
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear nut

my line of thinking exactly

Matt
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nukmusic Send a message via Yahoo to nukmusic
anyone able to record/mix using the 64 buffer setting?
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear addict

Another 2.8 dual quad here, 2GB RAM. Highly recommended, haven't even stressed it at all so far, aside from plans to get more RAM eventually.

Just make sure not to buy any additional RAM or internal hard drives through Apple, because they absolutely rape you with markup. Both are super easy to install.
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nukmusic Send a message via Yahoo to nukmusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by popvulture View Post
. . . .
Just make sure not to buy any additional RAM or internal hard drives through Apple, because they absolutely rape you with markup. Both are super easy to install.
this seems true will most computer companies. Once you get you unit, just open it up to find out what brand/model you have installed. Then buy it online. You usually save a good bit of money.

Docta'J aka Big NUK
Practice Makes Progress
www.twitter.com/nukmusic
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeper View Post
Then what about using an i-Mac like this one? Apple iMac 20"/2.4GHz | Sweetwater.com

I'm computer shopping, too. I would dearly love for someone to explain to me which Mac computer I need.

At minimal expense, which Mac (be it Mac Pro, i-Mac, or laptop) will comfortably support something like Pro Tools LE or Logic, and a reasonable amount of plugs? And what sort of I/O device do I need to buy for audio and MIDI?
Well, I can only tell you what I use. I have 2 year old Toshiba with a 1.83 ghz Core Duo with 2 gb of RAM. I use a MOTU 828mkII with a Digimax FS, and misc external drives (I've run a ton of tracks off the internal, but I don't like to because of the heat issue). I am able to record 18 tracks at 24/48 with no problem. I am able to run 75 or so with a tons of SSL channels and more other plugs than I can keep track of at 10ms or so. I have been doing this for 2 years and lately I have been recording some friends rehearsals for 2 or so hours and still no issues. This is with an untweaked XP Home install and some processes I don't need running (anti-virus, media server). We live in a great time for computers and I suspect it is going to get even better.
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
anyone able to record/mix using the 64 buffer setting?
I can on my Phenom box. That thing is crazy.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search