New Reply
Subscribe
soupking
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Our New & Improved Tape Calibration Pic

Hi GS,

This one is kind of hard to explain, but it's really cool and going to be a big help for us calibrating these machines in the sweaty dark.

If you don't have access to spare audio parts this might be kind of a stretch but, I thought I'd mention it anyway since calibrating tape machines aren't exactly the most enjoyable process.

My neighborhood tech made an awesome replacement for the generic calibration pic. Instead of fishing around for the coil groove, it just slides on like a glove.

He took a common mini green flathead screwdriver that you can buy at a radio parts store. He then took a standout nut used to brace pc boards and whacked the screwdriver into the nut. It was a kind of rounded-edged bronze colored standout nut, so the coil just slides right onto it. no B.S.

We're seriously stoked. Highly recommended rig for somebody pulling their hair out during cal in less that optimal conditions.

...I think that's how it goes.
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Huh? Care to post a picture? That would help explain things big time.

thanks,
Brad

Little Red Wagon Studios
How to integrate your analog tape deck with your DAW:
http://youtu.be/bswx5zrFRl0
http://youtu.be/W-II32AvVd8
soupking
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Huh? Care to post a picture? That would help explain things big time.

thanks,
Brad

Sure, in a bit. He's using it to cal our JH110 right now.
soupking
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

The stand-off fit around the shaft of the driver. And what's key is that the head of the driver is back inside at the collar of the stand-off so when turned around the coil falls right in.

I've tried it. It's crude but sheer bliss.
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Ever tried a tweaker tool?? Pretty much exactly what you've got there unless I'm missing something. About $.59 at Pacific Radio. thumbsup

They wear out fairly quickly but I'd buy them by the handful back in the day when I was forced to do the cruel and unusual punishment you're up for!! LOL

Have fun and start spinning!!!

bp

PS - the only problems is that after awhile (especially on MCI's) the 10 turn pots start to get a little tweaked and coming in straight on them (like your tool does) won't work anymore unless you re-solder the pot. man, the memories. I used to be able to do those cal's in my sleep. and as long as I could see the meter, I could do it in the dark too! thumbsupstikethumbsup
soupking
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Ever tried a tweaker tool?? Pretty much exactly what you've got there unless I'm missing something. About $.59 at Pacific Radio. thumbsup

They wear out fairly quickly but I'd buy them by the handful back in the day when I was forced to do the cruel and unusual punishment you're up for!! LOL

Have fun and start spinning!!!

bp

PS - the only problems is that after awhile (especially on MCI's) the 10 turn pots start to get a little tweaked and coming in straight on them (like your tool does) won't work anymore unless you re-solder the pot. man, the memories.
Hi DrBill,

I've gotten the beige double-ended, one innie, one outie, plastic pic tool if that's the one you speak of. It's really tricky to use if you have to hold in in one place and hit record/play at the same time. Sometimes we work on this stuff and we don't have people so the buddy system is often disengaged. That and it's dark and cramped in my studio, like working in a space shuttle with a half-assed AC unit.

The next thing we need is a 24-channel XLR-F to TT snake so we we don't have to run back and forth to the patchy to switch the tone/record channel input.

Heh, boy, what some people do for tape.

Quote:
I used to be able to do those cal's in my sleep. and as long as I could see the meter, I could do it in the dark too! thumbsupstikethumbsup
Good God man, that's why a bought a big-boy flashlight. That's crazy. I hope I never get that good.
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
That's crazy. I hope I never get that good.
If you have it for 10 years and have to do alignments and re-alignments to other tape formulations and levels daily - or sometimes multiple times a day.......you will.

PS- do NOT push hard on those 10 turn pots. Trust me on this. tutt
soupking
4th August 2008
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you have it for 10 years and have to do alignments and re-alignments to other tape formulations and levels daily - or sometimes multiple times a day.......you will.

PS- do NOT push hard on those 10 turn pots. Trust me on this. tutt

Nah, it's a personal studio. I'll probably only use one or two kinds of tape. The only thing that will change much is the tape speed when we finally get resources to get people together to record to 2".

Thanks for the FYI on the 10 turn pots. I try to be gentle as they're just held in by wires. I don't need more card hassles.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search