Best Way to Split Guitar Signal?
neve1073
8th February 2005
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

Best Way to Split Guitar Signal?

I need to find a box that effectively splits a guitar signal so I can send to two guitar amps, or to a guitar amp and to DI.

Any recommendations please.

Thanks
8th February 2005
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

pgk
8th February 2005
Old 8th February 2005
pgk
Gear nut

8th February 2005
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

I absolutely love the Little Labs STD for this... zero loss of tone!!!!!

Oh yeah, and it makes for a very nice line driver as well...

Little Labs STD
pgk
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
pgk
Gear nut

http://www.littlelabs.com/std.pdf

read the pdf carefully; the warning about killing the cable with a static discharge is very worrisome to me. does'nt matter what the reason is, they need find a way to fix that if possible. computer cards are one thing, but a cable?!?

that ain't a real world scenario by any stretch of the imagination.

umm, maybe i'm missing something here.....
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear

I'd go with the Little Labs PCP. Great, great unit. Has a DI included.
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Gear addict
Then there's the Alan Smart box.
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Gear nut

9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear

9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Gear addict

I have a little labs redeye which works for this and is great as a di/reamp box. For running out to 2 amps, tho, you really don't need anything fancier than just about any stompbox with stereo outs. I'll often use my moogerfooger phaser -- turned off -- for this purpose, cause it's an active bypass which helps with a longer signal run. Almost anything is fine -- any stereo delay, any of those little line6 pedals, whatever.
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear
If you're on a budget I'm quite pleased with my Groove Tubes DI. (Street price approx $39).
GPl
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
GPl
Lives for gear

Radial X-AMP will do the trick. I have one and works wonders for a number of applications.X-AMP
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Gear maniac

Gotta throw in a vote for the Littlelabs PCP Distro. I can't live without it!

Regards,

Billy Bush/garbage
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by pgk
read the pdf carefully; the warning about killing the cable with a static discharge is very worrisome to me....
Hmmm.. that wasn't in the earlier version STD pdf I d-loaded when I got mine. Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't had a problem... I wasn't even aware that the possibility of a problem existed. I'll be taking a bit more care though.
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Little Labs

Hey I just saw this thread and wanted to chime in about the STD. I have sold about 150 of them and have had about 5 that came back blown up. I am not sure what blew them up but the static issue was a theory that seemed plausible so I brought that up in the newer manual. I am paranoid so I will share any theory about the possibility of the thing blowing up with the world so people will be careful. All the blown cables were fixed free of charge and shipped free back as far as Australia. Plugging the cable into a speaker output will blow them up as well. Anyway if you buy one you are covered. I hate to see people not buy one because of the static issue which I very well could be wrong about.
all the best
Jonathan
neve1073
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear

The PCP looks pretty badass, but more than I need.

I really just want to be able to plug a gtr cord into a box that will send out, for instance, to my princeton and my magnatone without creating any noise or impedance issues.

I'd better give little labs a call tomorrow.

Thanks for all the responses.
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby yarrow
I have a little labs redeye which works for this and is great as a di/reamp box. For running out to 2 amps, tho, you really don't need anything fancier than just about any stompbox with stereo outs. I'll often use my moogerfooger phaser -- turned off -- for this purpose, cause it's an active bypass which helps with a longer signal run. Almost anything is fine -- any stereo delay, any of those little line6 pedals, whatever.
you should do an experiment to see how different your tone is going direct into an amp versus splitting out of a pedal. The difference can be pretty astounding, and will vary pedal to pedal! The Little Labs PCP is optimized for this very application so degredation of signal is almost zero. Plus it has the ground lift and polarity switches to help with those nasty issues that always come up.

Cheers,
John
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by littlelabs
Hey I just saw this thread and wanted to chime in about the STD. I have sold about 150 of them and have had about 5 that came back blown up. I am not sure what blew them up but the static issue was a theory that seemed plausible so I brought that up in the newer manual. I am paranoid so I will share any theory about the possibility of the thing blowing up with the world so people will be careful. All the blown cables were fixed free of charge and shipped free back as far as Australia. Plugging the cable into a speaker output will blow them up as well. Anyway if you buy one you are covered. I hate to see people not buy one because of the static issue which I very well could be wrong about.
all the best
Jonathan
Thanks for stoppin' in on this one. thumbsup
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Gear addict

not sure if i would want an STD. and pay for it?
sounds like an embarrasing doctor visit.

i bought the radial jd-7 recently and love it. great company!
stay away from something like the morley A/B box. (what i used to use)
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear

I just had a sniff around the Jensen transformers site to see if they had a unit for the job, but couldn't find any splitters for high-impedance signals, only mic-type impedance. I wonder if an email to Jensen could be worth a go if you fancy a passive solution?

Justin
JB3
9th February 2005
Old 9th February 2005
JB3
Gear addict

Maybe I'm the only one here who's noticed, but...

Sometimes one of the most important effects on the overall sound coming out of the system is the 'loading' effect of the pickup interacting directly with the amp.

(Try plugging in a PBass direct to the 'inst' in on your pre, get your sound, then break that line with a splitter, an iso box or even the STD...see if you notice a difference...)

...J
10th February 2005
Old 10th February 2005
Lives for gear

I've tried everything (I'm a guitar player)
and ended up with a flexible, multitasking setup that allows me to record from my control room into at least 3 amps (I'm a bit piggy).
My solution was 2 Little Lab PCP's connected via rear panel. It's an amazing creative tool and i can still use the 2nd one in mixdown.
Buy something that's great at more than 1 thing.
With the PCP, you can record up to 3 amps AND at mixdown, use it to run a track through some stompboxes. Jonathan couldn't be more helpful if he moved in. I'm thinking about it.
chap
10th February 2005
Old 10th February 2005
Gear maniac

11th February 2005
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

Don't forget about the Axess Electronics BS-2:

http://www.axess-electronics.com/

Always gets rave reviews on the guitar-slut boards. BTW, I'm selling my Radial JD-7 which is also perfect for the task if anyone is interested.
5th October 2013
Old 5th October 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
you should do an experiment to see how different your tone is going direct into an amp versus splitting out of a pedal. The difference can be pretty astounding, and will vary pedal to pedal! The Little Labs PCP is optimized for this very application so degredation of signal is almost zero. Plus it has the ground lift and polarity switches to help with those nasty issues that always come up.

Cheers,
John
Recently, I've been splitting out of an bypassed El Capistan into a Vibrochamp and a Princeton and am having some inspiring results. And as far as I can tell, the only loss is volume. And the sound is so dramatically different vs. One amp that whatever is being lost is re"gain"ed. That being said, I would be more than happy to a/b with one of those seemingly overpriced and possibly unnecessary splitter boxes
7th October 2013
Old 7th October 2013
Gear nut

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search