best sounding 1073 plugin
Old 30th July 2008
Lives for gear

best sounding 1073 plugin

I can't belive I haven't found a thread about this. Done a few searches on here but found no actual comparison. Only a lot of talk about hardware clones.

So what do you guys think is the best sounding 1073EQ plugin out there.

First of all whats even out there? I know of:

UAD-1 1073
(I think the SE version should be discussed in this case as the full version is pretty unusable due to its high DSP demand and not all of us have 4 cards)

URS N Series

Waves Veq 3

Thats all I can think of right now.
Is the Sonalksis emulating the 1073 in one of it's modes?
Also I'm sure that the liquid channel runs a convolution version of this EQ or doesn't it.
Old 30th July 2008
Lives for gear

UAD 1073SE sounded as good as the Waves V series to me and beter than the URS one but that is not actually a 1073 anyway.The full UAD 1073 is leagues ahead of the others IMHO
Old 30th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
UAD 1073SE sounded as good as the Waves V series to me and beter than the URS one but that is not actually a 1073 anyway.The full UAD 1073 is leagues ahead of the others IMHO
thumbsupthumbsup
Old 30th July 2008
Lives for gear

What happened to the PSP Preqursor? Was flicking through an old Sound on Sound and saw an ad for it, but can't find much about it on the web.
Old 30th July 2008
Lives for gear

I only own the URS and Waves VEQ, but I'm really liking the waves. The URS seems to sound good in solo, but doesn't really work as well when things are in the mix. I'm not so sure the VEQ is trying to emulate the 1073 EQ that much, but it is probably my favorite software eq right now.

Neil
Old 30th July 2008
Lives for gear

UAD 1073SE...

not nearly as good as the UAD1073, especially with the one knob that really matters. The "sheen" knob!

I actually don't have much use for the rest of the 1073 EQ. Not my fav at all. I use the gain knob alot though, just as a standard gain when I don't want to use the Cubase channel fader... or instead of the make-up gain from a standard compressor.
Old 30th July 2008
Lives for gear

BEST SOUNDING BEST SOUNDING BEST SOUNDING.....
WHO KNOWS WHAT IS THE BEST FOR YOU....................

ONLY YOU!!!!!!!!

Check the Demos go to your retailer and check the UAD with a good headphone.
Old 30th July 2008
Lives for gear
Old 31st July 2008
Lives for gear

I've demoed the UAD 1073 myself a while ago and thought it was pretty amazing. Shame tho that it eats up most of my card.
Good to hear that Waves have done a decent job as well.
But if the 1073SE of the UAD measures up to the Waves then I think its still worth a purchase.
Old 31st July 2008
Lives for gear

I Use the VEQ and really like them. They however don't sound like a 1073/1084 to me. (I have a 1084) they have their own BOLD sound.
Old 31st July 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I Use the VEQ and really like them. They however don't sound like a 1073/1084 to me. (I have a 1084) they have their own BOLD sound.

The link I gave is a sampled 1073 (brent averill). I too don't think v-serie's eq sound like a 1073.

Nebula's api emulations are known to be better than waves api. I didn't try UAD but don't expect nebula to be any weak against it (and when considering the price+nebula being a native plug-in, it should probably be the winner here).

Also just for info, there's 1973 | Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound

its very cpu light though I'm not sure if you'll (jorg) like the sound.
Old 24th October 2010
Gear maniac

I still haven't found anything other then the VeQ that I liked on vocals. Everything I tried sounded just too clean for my liking. Any recommendations?
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

A 1073 Plugged into a wall socket?

Question: not to derail this thread BUT, A friend was telling me he had the UAD plugins and that they sounded like the real thing. So I asked him, "Have you heard any of your plugins in hardware action?" He said no. So the question IS...........I guess someone told you they sounded like the hardware.......GORDON GEKKO...the perception has become real!!!! Get the real thing, or leave em alone!!! Personally, I think the HYundai GEnesis is just like your Beema Produca, cause Hyundai and a co-worker/owner said so. But have you driven a Beema.........UHHHH No!!
Old 24th October 2010
Gear nut

For me, it's the FATE EQ for Nebula by Analog in the box... by a long shot

analoginthebox.com - Fate EQ

I have Stillwell & have used the Waves on a friend's computer many times.

To my ears, the top end starts getting harsh after a few db's on Stillwell & Waves compared to FATE EQ. I've never tried the UAD.

I know, its Nebula, resource hog, etc.
Old 1st November 2010
Gear maniac

The waves V series is awesome.

I haven't tried the others, but I am more and more pleased with the V series all the time. I'm really never dissatisfied with the results I get with it.
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear maniac

Best 1073 plugin?

Any EQ with the same curves and phase response as a 1073 or 1084, operating at 88.2khz or more, followed by URS Saturation set to british tranny.

I like the Nomad Factory NEQ1972 at 88.2khz, Vintage on....
Old 4th November 2010
Gear nut

It is hard to compete with Nebula's EQ
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

They haven't made a REAL CLONE of one people can agree sounds 100% legit...

Plug ins cant even come close... Not even a little... And yes, I have both here (actually all 3- clone, real and plug)

That said-

I used URS N all the time and like it ( but its not even close to a real one... )
Old 8th November 2010
Gear nut

I don't have the UAD but I have the other two and Waves blows URS out of the water. Don't know if it sounds exactly like a 1073 and don't really care. It sounds good.
Old 8th November 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
none of them sound anything like a the hardware , but v series is a decent plug-in, overpriced but decent
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

I run a BAE 1073mpf and I noticed a similar vibe whilst using Nebula . I haven't used any URS or Waves (1073) plug-ins but I bet they sound great too.
Old 17th February 2011
Gear interested

N-ten-at4

Hi Guys!

Any of you have tried the new CdSoundmaster N-Ten-AT4 ?
CDSoundMaster Software Online

Is it better than Waves and UAD's simulations of 1073?

It costs only $79. It's not expensive if compared to the others.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Downloads « Variety Of Sound

Bottom of the page the Legacy series.... the Nasty CS is well worth a download and it's totally free. 32 bit only though.
Old 17th February 2011
Stillwell 1973

Old 17th February 2011
Gear nut

Nebula shnebula...

Somehow a lot of people seem to be able to work with nebula, and are recommending it everywhere. I bought nebula and the most recommended plugs long time ago, but was never able to integrate it into a sensefull workflow, so i'm not using it even if its supposed to sound good...it's unstable like hell, at least on my custom build 32bit daw, is it only something for the 64bit guys with tons of ram?

That said, the UAD1073 finds a lot of use here.i never use the 1073se though.
like others stated the waves doesn't sound like a 1073 to me at all but sounds really good anyway. I prefer it with the analog button on, which seems to add noise and builds to a noisefloor if you use multiple instances, so you have to gainstage properly...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search