Why is my Sm7b quieter then my sm57?
gamrecords
26th January 2005
Old 26th January 2005
Gear nut

Why is my Sm7b quieter then my sm57?

Is this normal or do I have a faulty SM7? I'm running the SM7 and the 57 thru the same pre amp, using the same mic cable, and the SM7 needs a lot more gain to get to the same level.

Just got my first sm7 on ebay and not sure if this is normal.
gamrecords
26th January 2005
Old 26th January 2005
Gear nut

I guess I found the answer right here,
thanks,

michael

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ê
The SM7 (SM7A, SM7B) is a dynamic microphone. A typical dynamic mic has a lower output level than a typical condenser mic. For example, the dynamic SM7 has an output level that is 22 dB (!) less than the condenser KSM27.

When selecting a mic preamp to use with the SM7 for voice-over work, make certain the preamp has a minimum 60 dB of gain. Here's why:

a) With an acoustic input of 84dBSPL (typical speech level at 3 inches), the output level of the SM7 is -69dBV.

b) The mic preamp must increase the mic signal level up to about 0dBV (line level).

c) -69dBV of mic signal, increased by +60dB of preamp gain, equals an output level of -9 dBV. Not quite to the 0 dBV level, but close enough to work with most line level inputs.

Many modern mic preamps assume the mic is a condenser mic with a "hot" output level. Therefore, it is common to find mic preamps or mic mixers with gains of 40 to 50 dB. This is not enough gain to bring the SM7 signal up to line level.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
26th January 2005
Old 26th January 2005
Lives for gear

I'll need someone else to back me up on this, but I think the SM7B has a higher output than the SM7 to make it compatible with a wider range of pre-amps. Are you certain yours is an SM7B and not an original SM7 or SM7A as I sometimes see them referred to?

-Synth80s
26th January 2005
Old 26th January 2005
Lives for gear

26th January 2005
Old 26th January 2005
Lives for gear

Is there any sonic differences between the original SM7 and the SM7 B......I am going to pick one up soon and dont know wether to but an older model or newer.

Thanks
Ron Florentine
Soundswest studio
26th January 2005
Old 26th January 2005
Gear nut

I have both and cannot hear a difference at all.
Theres nothing wrong with your SM7, they are very quiet, but sound great.
26th January 2005
Old 26th January 2005
Lives for gear

I've had several outside engineers in my studio pull our SM7 out of the closet and think it's broken when they apply the same gain as they would to an SM57. Maybe the fact that the mic is larger than a 57 suggests to the uninitiated user that it will sound bigger than a smaller mic! But I rarely hear from these people during the session - it's always afterwards, so they miss out on the experience of learning what a new mic might do for their work.
26th January 2005
Old 26th January 2005
Lives for gear

My SM7 (I´m not sure what model it is) is the mic with the lowest output on my locker, and also one of the best sounding mic for snare, distorted guitars and some vocals!
27th January 2005
Old 27th January 2005
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Same capule as 57, different transformer. Probably traded output for more bandwidth and less distortion.
27th January 2005
Old 27th January 2005
Gear interested

I had the same experience. I thought there must be something wrong with mine cause it had less output than a 57. But I guess that's just how it is. sometimes I turn the gain on my 1073 all the way up to get a nice preamp saturation on a voc track. if I do this with any other mic it sounds like a BigMuff....
27th January 2005
Old 27th January 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
My SM7 (I´m not sure what model it is) is the mic with the lowest output on my locker, and also one of the best sounding mic for snare, distorted guitars and some vocals!
snare baby, snare!
27th January 2005
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

I just looked and my SM7 is the original version... sounds good to me!!!!
28th January 2005
Old 28th January 2005
Gear nut

Could it be possible that the perceived lower output of the SM7 might be the result of the capsule actually being a good three inches from the end of the internal metal screen?

Any source on an SM57 is going to be considerably closer to the capsule than on an SM7.

Just a thought...

Peace,
sdw
28th January 2005
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jbuntz
Same capule as 57, different transformer. Probably traded output for more bandwidth and less distortion.
hmm if that's the case where's the mods? anyone? I'd be willing to turn one my 57's into an sm7
28th February 2010
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Head

The SM7B has the same capsule as the SM7. Basically the differences are that the SM7B has an improved hum bucking coil, an improved suspension yoke mounting and it comes with an additional foam wind sock.

The SM7 capsule is different from the SM57 capsule. They are not the same. And the SM7 does not have a transformer whereas the SM57 does. The capsule output is presented directly to the XLR connector on the SM7.

The SM7 is one of the deafest microphones around. You'd be looking at ribbon mics to find something lower in output. A preamp with lots of gain and a low noise floor is a must.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search