New Reply
Subscribe
LarryClutch
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Gear Head

Guitar Amp For Country Music?

Hi,

I'm looking for some information on what amp/amps is a fairly common choice for modern country tones. From the tele tone, to more driving almost rockish tones, plus clean sounds. It doesn't necessarily have to be one amp, just what seems to be common/de-facto for these duties.

Any info, or links would be very much appreciated.

15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Gear nut

15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
member no 666

I've recorded everything from a Magnatone to a Fender Deluxe Reverb to a Marshall Plexi doing country... we have a small groove tubes combo amp with one changable tube [I forget what the damn thing is called] and a THD "UniValve" head that does the same "changeable tube" thing [but sounds different and we can use different speaker cabinets].

The tone still only comes from the players hands... the rest is just gravy.

Best of luck.

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Lives for gear

Contemporary "country" can be anything...Brent Mason, for example, has a triple rack system than has (last I saw, it changes a lot) a Budda, silverface Twin, and Peavey classic 50 head...also has (had) an Egnator power amp and a buttload of effects...but IIRC he stated most of his work is through a Deluxe Reverb.

Lots of other guys have used Twins, old Bassman heads, Peavey Bandits or Special 130s, Magnatone, etc...Still others use Dr Z, AC30s, or other class A designs...A MusicMan SixtyFive Reverb head through a pair of openback Weber Californias or D120s gets the lions share of work here...

And a lot of great sounds have been tracked just running direct with a Boogie Studio preamp or similar...

And FWIW: I think a Dynacomp, Boss CS2/3, or an Armstrong Orange Squeezer is essential.

Good Sound Starts With Good Gear - Great Sound Starts With Great Players
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Gear maniac

Anyone thinkin' bout a POD?

I do a lot of recording of country music and I use the old POD 2.0 and love the tones that come from it. I run it through a pair of Telefunken line amps to warm it just a tad. I use the Boogie Dual Rectifier setting for destorted, and for clean I use the 59 Bassman head with a 2x12 line 6 cab. Hope that helps.

Kirk
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
The tone still only comes from the players hands... the rest is just gravy.
Absolutely true, as far as gravy is concerned, I totally dig my new AnalogMan BiComprossor, best compressor pedal ever (actually it's 2 comps in one, Ross/Dynacomp and Orange Squeezer clones), period!
GREAT for that clean Tele thing, also works great for electric 12-string.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Lives for gear

+1 on the bi-comp.....if only my country chops were as good as the pedal!......personally, I didn't get the GT solo at all....

fave amps for country......there's so many really....almost anything that's really good and wasn't designed for all out metal

I got a great sound with the aforementioned bi-comp, an Effector 13 No-Fi into a Fuchs ODS on clean

....must practice more!!!

Andy
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Motown legend

A Deluxe Reverb is both the most common and the one few can beat.
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Lives for gear

Deluxe Reverb or Tweed Deluxe (for instance a Victoria remake jobbie). The Tweed will give you a little bit more rock if you need it, the Deluxe Reverb will give you a bit more surf if you need it, but they'll both do the 'middle ground' really well. Add to that a compressor (Carl Martin or Dynacomp will do nicely) and you're good to go.

But what Flecther said is spot on. The first Steve Morse band has a couple of GREAT sounding solos by Albert Lee (on the track General Lee). That was recorded straight to disk and nobody cares...
TYY
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
TYY
Gear addict

For more "traditional" tele tones (don rich, roy nichols, even brent mason for a modern twist)- it's tough to beat a deluxe reverb or twin. JBLs for extra spank.

For more "modern" (i.e. most of the current nashville product) an el84 amp like a matchless will give the grind.
15th December 2004
Old 15th December 2004
Gear addict

Another vote for the deluxe with a swamp ash tele.
16th December 2004
Old 16th December 2004
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to beechstudio
Yep..........deluxe with a tele mostly. However, I did a CD with LONESTAR in 98'. We used a Marshall plexi for the Fat distorted tones along with a Dr Z. Clean tones were a fender concert head and a Tonemaster. Great sounds!

http://www.myspace.com/beechstudio
16th December 2004
Old 16th December 2004
Gear nut

Single coils into any clean amp, definitely compressed on the way in. Got Killer results with a Champ 12, Bandmaster reverb, Strats, Teles. The crunchy stuff, the marshalls, with the same guitars, stil compress on the way in, maybe a Tubescreamer. I wish I liked country, the sounds come so naturally to me. Poop.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search