RNC with Cranesong Spider
blake1
9th December 2004
Old 9th December 2004
Gear Head

RNC with Cranesong Spider

I want to know the best way to use the RNC with the Cranesong Spider.

I use the insert (tip=output) on the Spider to monitor through a mackie board for the musicians.

I would like to use the compressor on Vox (balanced mic cable).

Would I get a 1/4" male adaptor for the xlr cable and just plug into the rnc input ?

...and then out-put 1/4" out of the RNC to the Spider?

Or, is there another way around this? I really need to monitor through the mackie, since we record live.

I could use the low latency mode in my Digi 001, but i like to put verb on the vox.
blake1
10th December 2004
Old 10th December 2004
Gear Head

You are probably asking - why is he using a RNC on such a nice mixer?

Well, the Spider has really good limiting capabilities, but I play and record at the same time and sometimes I can't make it to the fader before the vox get too hot. I just need a little compression to save a take.
10th December 2004
Old 10th December 2004
Gear interested

Quote:
You are probably asking - why is he using a RNC on such a nice mixer?

Well, the Spider has really good limiting capabilities, but I play and record at the same time and sometimes I can't make it to the fader before the vox get too hot. I just need a little compression to save a take.
Don't track so hot, you don't need to if you're recording to PT. There's nothing wrong with using the RNC with the spider to get good sounds, regardless of the price of the two boxes.
10th December 2004
Old 10th December 2004
Gear addict

Umm... there's 3 things which make a cracking vocal as far as dynamic control IMHO, in order of preference..

amazing mic technique from the performer (when it happens - its a beautiful thing..but in't as common as you'd like..)
riding the fader (yep, be all over that fader on the way in... )
..and compressing the vocal where required, and you will more often that not use some later anyway to tighten things up, even if you are recording conservatively..

so sure, watch your levels but I guess since you're self recording and aren't going to be riding a fader, a little compression ain't gona hurt, and fullish usage of your bit resolution isn't a bad thing either
chikkenguy
10th December 2004
Old 10th December 2004
chikkenguy

you dont really need to be getting your levels hot enough that theyre clipping(assuming youre at 24 bits). many of the things i record end up needing 5- 10 db of gain just to get my final peak limiter working. that still leaves me with something like a 115db (howmany dbs at 24 bits?) digital noise floor. what is the combined noise floor of your rooms, mics, and pres? probably much higher than the digital noise floor.

at 24 bits you can leave that kind of headroom with out having to limit anything. there is really no reason to worry about getting a good s/n ratio in this situation.

to be using only 16 of your 24 bits when recording, you would have to be recording at about -35db fs.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search