Subscribe
Jules
13th November 2004
Old 13th November 2004
Gearslutz.com admin

I am tracking guitars two at a time

I have seen a post up here before about it,

But here is another one.

Yep, to keep that live feel we are tracking gtrs for an album MAINLY live, two at a time.

We are taking mic AND DI signals from both guitarists, the plan is to augment their sounds with re-amping to the studios Engle, Vetta, & combo amps at a later stage.

Its working really well so far..

We are getting a lot of 'live vibe' & rock passion.

I think we are sacrificing a LITTLE accuracy but the vibe makes up for that.

Also beneficial is that getting the basic sounds is easyier as we are getting the 'whole picture'.

It's fun to watch the performances as well..!

Viva la rock!

I will try to post some pictures

We are recording 6 channels in total per song

Marshall heads & 4 x 12's - Sm57 - Neve 1073 - Fatso - Cranesong Hedd converters

M149 ambient room mic's - (cardiod pointed at distant walls away from cabs) API - Prism converters

Evil Twin & Little Labs DI boxes to Prism converters.

13th November 2004
Old 13th November 2004
Lives for gear

So you've already got bass and drums and you're doing two guitar players as overdubs? That's a cool idea. I might do some acoustic guitar in the booth and electric in the live room tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration Jules.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
Jules
13th November 2004
Old 13th November 2004
Gearslutz.com admin

Yes that's it.

Capturing a dual musician / interaction vibe.

The drum tracks had live gtrs & bass, but needed a little 'tidy / edit work' - therfore the bass was re-done on a few tracks and we added guide vocals -

Now the guitarists have the best possible drums & bass to perform to..

If one makes a mistake the other is always patient about performing their part during the drop ins (punch ins US)

13th November 2004
Old 13th November 2004
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to beechstudio
Can you post an audio sample of work in progress Jules? That would be cool!

http://www.myspace.com/beechstudio
Jules
13th November 2004
Old 13th November 2004
Gearslutz.com admin

Probably not due mostly to time issues and the band and I would be a little shy to put a monitor mix out on the net...

Sorry.. see what I can do...

13th November 2004
Old 13th November 2004
Lives for gear

Are they sitting down in the control room playing to the monitors or standing in the tracking room playing to a cans/ amp bleed mix?
Sometimes I like the clarity of a guitar overdub when the pick-ups are removed from the amp's feedback path, sometimes you have to have the guitar resonationg in front of the cranked cabinet...
13th November 2004
Old 13th November 2004
Lives for gear

jules -

cool , thats what i do . for me if i must record a live drummer ( usually a nightmare ) and get it all edited into a great drum track , i just set up all the guys live in the control room - bass , 2 guitars and a keyboard. the sounds are so much easier to dial in because im hearing all of them together instead of the current way of one guy at a time which has actually taken away any remaining love i have for recording in the studio. if the lead singer is a good singer he or she can sing right in the control room too. at that point if the phones are loud and proud everyone wears phones , but usually not , as i find the mains at the threshohold of pain gets a more exciting overall performance. guitars are always split out with a virginess di signal being recorded as well to their own track for any changes in guitar or bass tone needed as the production comes together. its so much more fun to get the guys pumped up and really performing in the control room - and they love it themselves as well. it shaves weeks offf a production and saves money and hair loss. and being able to immediately just fix a track here and there and just plain punch in or slide something on the spot is too cool. also its great to hear them first play as a band and for me to make sure the tempo and arrangement is solid and right so i dont realize 1 week into it that it was not as strong as it coulda been. the live tracking vibe is also the perfect dog and pony show for the a&r guy to enjoy on their studio visits. rock on !!

s
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search