Whats up with the RNP?
New Reply
Subscribe
tonejunkee
9th January 2003
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Head

Whats up with the RNP?

Just curious.....I currently have 2 joe meek MQ3s. Like the sound but only without compression.
9th January 2003
Old 9th January 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Jay Kahrs Send a message via Skype™ to Jay Kahrs
I haven't heard the RNP but I would assume it's quite a bit less colored then the Meek stuff.
mooseaudio.bandcamp.com
Quote:
All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...
9th January 2003
Old 9th January 2003
Gear maniac

I have VCQ1cs and I'll have an RNP on Friday. I'll try and give you a comparison if you like.

What's your application and mic ?
tonejunkee
9th January 2003
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Head

Well Im using a Studio Projects C3 mostly in Omni mode for vocals and acoustic guitar at the same time......all going into a audiophile 24/96, and a 500mhz Win98 PC with 512megs RAM

Acid Pro 3
Soundforge 6
9th January 2003
Old 9th January 2003
Gear interested

I don't know what the M3Q is, but I'm assuming it's sort of like the VC3Q? If so, the mic-amp section of the Meek favors really poorly against the RNP.

I'll come clean and say that while I like the RNP better than anything I've heard in anywhere near it's price range, I'm not doing summersalts and backflips over it.

That said, it does make pieces like the Meek stuff absolutely run screaming for cover for most applications.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyw
I don't know what the M3Q is, but I'm assuming it's sort of like the VC3Q? If so, the mic-amp section of the Meek favors really poorly against the RNP.

I'll come clean and say that while I like the RNP better than anything I've heard in anywhere near it's price range, I'm not doing summersalts and backflips over it.

That said, it does make pieces like the Meek stuff absolutely run screaming for cover for most applications.
Well like everything else, the opinions vary. The Meek is very useful for many users and is mainly a compressor and EQ box, but for many applications the Meek mic amp is wonderful. Yes, it could be better, and it will be soon enough after the new models come out.

It is very different from the RNP. The Meek is colored, and the RNP squeaky clean. I prefer the Meek on some applications, and I prefer the RNP on others. Its different strokes for different folks. Variety is best if you have the money...
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Gear maniac

And then there's the fact that you can't get jack when you try and resell your JOEMEEK because so many people are trying to unload them. Good motivation to find a use for one, limited as they are.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

I have a Meek VC6 and I like it a lot. It always gets used somewhere on something, usually quite a few times during the course of an album. The best uses I've found are guitar amps and room mics. It's also done pretty well on FOK and vocals. I did a project a few months ago where I set up an AT4047 and the Meek for scratch vocals and when it came time to do the real thing I couldn't find anything that sounded as good. Sometimes it's great for the bass DI but that can be hit or miss, usually if you want a midrangy kind of agressive thing it's perfect. The most recent use was as a mic pre for a 414 B/ULS on a floor tom. I can honestly say I wouldn't mind having another one around.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Gear maniac

Quote:
The most recent use was as a mic pre for a 414 B/ULS on a floor tom
Damn, I'm envious of anyone who has enough time in their sessions to select indivdual mic/pre combos for each tom.

You are right though, if there is a general decription for JOEMEEK gear, it's agressive middy tonal and limited.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Hah! You make it sound like I gave it a lot of thought. I really didn't. It was more like, "I know the 414 can be cool on floor tom and since the drummer's got the ride setup like this there ain't a hell of a lot I can fit in there". The mic pre was a wild guess and I was prepared to swap it for something else if it sounded really bad. It didn't so I moved onward. We did spend about a day getting sounds together but that was for everything with lots of goofing off. Put it this way, we spent more time selecting and tuning drums then I did on picking mics and pres.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by alanhyatt
Well like everything else, the opinions vary. The Meek is very useful for many users and is mainly a compressor and EQ box, but for many applications the Meek mic amp is wonderful. Yes, it could be better, and it will be soon enough after the new models come out.

It is very different from the RNP. The Meek is colored, and the RNP squeaky clean. I prefer the Meek on some applications, and I prefer the RNP on others. Its different strokes for different folks. Variety is best if you have the money...
Um, are you honestly trying to say that the mic amp on the lowest end Meek "channel in box" piece is comparable *quality-wise* to the RNP? Because it isn't.

It has a place in the world and I really do like it for certain things, but to suggest that they are "equal but different" is bollocks. In pretty much every category by which you can evaluate a device's quality--headroom, clarity, noise, distortion, etc.-- the mic amp section of the Meek falls short. Which doesn't mean it doesn't have utility, but means they have different design objectives and criteria by which they should be evaluated.

I've never heard any other Meek brand mic amp, so I can't comment, but the VC3Q is an effects box. And it is cool for what it is. (I even made a point to bring that box up in another thread.) But to say that the mic amp in the VC3Q is a serious mic amp is just silly.

I know you feel like you need to defend your product line, but I really wasn't actually attacking it. Poking a little. Well, I suppose "running screaming for cover" might seem a little harsh. How's this: if you're looking to reliably amplify microphone signals under a wide variety of circumstances, the lowest end Meek box is perhaps not your best choice, and the RNP will likely be a better one.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Gear maniac

Quote:
Put it this way, we spent more time selecting and tuning drums then I did on picking mics and pres.
Jay I'm with you there and I feel fortunate when a drummer sets up and starts tuning on his own, that's always a good sign. I'm fortunate to work with a couple of guys like that.

Quote:
...if you're looking to reliably amplify microphone signals under a wide variety of circumstances, the lowest end Meek box is perhaps not your best choice, and the RNP will likely be a better one.
Well said jonnyw.

My first RNP arrives today, I'll be checking out and try to give a JOEMEEK comparison. Now when my SLAM gets here next week I reserve the right to spend hours, if not days, exploring it's 'character.'
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Gear interested

Now the SLAM--that there's a real piece of engineering. Congrats!

Speaking of effects boxes... one thing the RNP is really cool at is overloading, like for fuzz bass or drum subs. I'd bet a really cool chain would be overloaded RNP into the SLAM on a drum sub. I'd try it, but don't happen to have a SLAM handy...
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Gear maniac

YUP, I went for it. Now I just have to prey for profitable sessions, or sell my car if that doesn't happen.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Um, are you honestly trying to say that the mic amp on the lowest end Meek "channel in box" piece is comparable *quality-wise* to the RNP? Because it isn't.
I am not defending the Meek, and I did not take your comments as attacking. The Meek is what it is...It is built well and has its own sound. The RNP actually puts out more noise than the Meek does. I am saying that I prefer the Meek for certian applications over the RNP, and Vise Versa, so does this mean it is a comparable box? I like the colored sound it gives for specific applications, but it is a different animal as it has compression and eq.

I did say the mic amp could be better, and it will get better as the re-designs are done, but the mic amp is quite good and does very well on many applications for many people.

Regarding another comment made by Tubelover, well what can I say. It seems you have formed your opinions. I am sure there are people who just dump gear to dump it, but that happens with many brands. If you get your monies worth out of a unit, then what does it matter what you get for it.

peace...:D
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Gear maniac

alanhyatt I was only referring to the litany of JOEMEEK gear seen on ebay, often like new and being sold for very cheap because there's a lot of it on the market.

I have a VC1Qcs and at times use it, it does have it's place, though limited.

I'd be interested to hear how others use their MEEK, maybe there are some things I should be using it for and haven't tried.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Gear interested

Listen, I'm really not picking a fight. But...

Of course you're defending the Meek box. As is your right. If we were all going to go online to agree with each other these forums would put everyone to sleep. So defend proudly!

Starting with noise specs. I dunno. I don't have published specs in front of me and am too lazy to fire them both up and check. So fine, I'll concede that. Perhaps it is a little quieter. That is, until you engage either the compressor. Which is the point of the box, isn't it?

To make it fair, put an RNC in the insert of the RNP with an equivalent compression setting as the Meek... which do you think will be quieter?

You prefer the Meek for certain apps over the RNP. Such as what?

The things I would prefer the Meek for would be stuff like room mics or the like, or maybe certain backup vocals--something where I wouldn't want a lot of presence. The thing about the VC3 is that it is kind of dark and a little veiled sounding. Which I guess is part of its character, but I sort of hope the higher end units which have beefier power supplies and so on are a little more open sounding.

Of course, in almost all cases I prefer my MP2-NV to either, so there you go...

To make it more of an apples to apples comparison, in what instances would you prefer the VC3q to any other Meek mic amp or channel box, such as the VC6 or VC1? I think you would get less of an argument if you weren't talking about a box which is aimed squarely at the low end of the home market. (Especially from me, since I have never heard those higher end boxes...)

Again, I'm not picking a fight. I like a lot of Joe Meek products: I will take this opportunity to give it up for the original SC2, for instance. That box is the balls.

But I honestly think that to suggest that the VC3 will be as universally useful as the RNP is just not right.
10th January 2003
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:

But I honestly think that to suggest that the VC3 will be as universally useful as the RNP is just not right.
I don't think you are picking a fight. For country and rock guitars, I will take the Meek anyday, as well as acoustic instruments. For blues singers and other power vocals, the Meek again is my choice. Ok, to be fair I use the higher end Meeks, however, there are over 30,000 + lower cost 1/2 rack Meeks out there, so it is very useful to a lot of people...
12th January 2003
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
I'd be interested to hear how others use their MEEK, maybe there are some things I should be using it for and haven't tried.
I have a VC3 and a C2 Stereo Compressor.

I have a limited selection of preamps at the moment (VC3, Peavey VMP-2, TC Electronic Gold Channel and 02R on-boards), but the VC3 was noticebly hotter and better sounding than all the other pres I have on a Beyer M260DX ribbon mic I picked up. Mids were more present and overall sound was fuller and smoother.

I've also preferred the VC3 as a D.I. for my 65 Jazz Bass, though other basses have sounded better through the VMP.

The C2 is cemented into place as the drum buss effect comp. PHATNESS, though I'm itching to try Fletcher's Avalon VT-747 drum buss idea (posted on ProSoundWeb).
12th January 2003
Old 12th January 2003
Gear maniac

Thanks for the info Screws.

Interesting that the MEEK would sound good with the ribbon which is already sort of rolled off on the high-end by nature of it's smoothness. I can see where the Beyer would benefit from the mid empasis and have more character.

I've just had my RNP since Friday and I'm ready to order a couple more. It's pretty hard to beat in my opinion.

The noise is absolutely not an issue, if FMR didn't mention it reviewers would have pointed it out if they measured the thing, but in real use it's not significant.

There is definetly an extended high-end. I guess some might call it a boost, but it seems more like there is just more detail there.
13th January 2003
Old 13th January 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally posted by Screws
the VC3 was noticebly hotter and better sounding than all the other pres I have on a Beyer M260DX ribbon mic I picked up. Mids were more present and overall sound was fuller and smoother.
I've noticed that the pairing of my M260DX and Meek is usually pretty good on electric guitars and on room mics.
14th January 2003
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I've noticed that the pairing of my M260DX and Meek is usually pretty good on electric guitars and on room mics.
This tends to be the case with ribbons Jay as the Meek loves low impedance mics. Most ribbons drive 50 Ohms and the Meek is very comfortable there, where many other mic amps look for 200 Ohms.

End result is usually a pretty good combo between the Meek and ribbons.
tonejunkee
15th January 2003
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Head

thanks slutz, I've decided to stick with the meek........I've also decided to stop buying new gear (except for the red eye thing, wich I will win) I'm done pretending that I'm an engineer, or that I will be one some day....I'm getting back to the music
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search