Ramsa WU-8101 and 8001 modules
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Ramsa WU-8101 and 8001 modules

Gentlemen,

I was wondering if anyone here knows what the main differences are between the WU-8001 and WU-8101 modules. Besides the EQ section that is - on the inside.

I'm trying to install some 8001s on the WR-8616 board and even though the power is idenical and the pinout looks similar I can't get any signal out of them. This is a drag without the schemo so I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share some knowledge.

Jim Williams maybe? I've extensively searched GS for info on this and he has said some things in the past that indicated he is quite knowledgeble on the whole older Ramsa subject.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Old 18th June 2008
Lives for gear

Hi
I think you emailed me and I started responding and then something needed my attn immediately and I never got back to you, sorry.

Give Vince at Audioproz.com a call. He loves the Ramsa boards and might be able to help you.

DP
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks man, I certainly will
Old 21st June 2008
Lives for gear

Recording with WR-8616

Hmmm.

I don't know what to think. I just got a very prompt response from this guy saying WR-8616 is an AV board 'not suited for recording studio use'...

I mean it's got post-fader direct outs and inserts on every channel, 'Studio' and 'Control Room' monitor control, it gives me a +4 on ballanced outputs, it's relatively low-noise and got tons of headroom... Not only have I seen those boards used in project studios I've worked at, it's also my understanding that some of the fellow slutz here use it for this particular purpose with a degree of success... What am I missing?

Come on Ramsa gurus I know yall out there please help me out...
Old 21st June 2008
Lives for gear

Recording with WR-8616

Hmmm.

I don't know what to think. I just got a very prompt response from this guy saying WR-8616 is an AV board 'not suited for recording studio use'...

I mean it's got post-fader direct outs and inserts on every channel, 'Studio' and 'Control Room' monitor control, it gives me a +4 on ballanced outputs, it's relatively low-noise and got tons of headroom... Not only have I seen those boards used in project studios I've worked at, it's also my understanding that some of the fellow slutz here use (or have used) it for this particular purpose with a degree of success... What am I missing?

Come on Ramsa gurus I know yall out there please help me out...
Old 22nd August 2010
Gear nut

The first page of the owners manual states that the board can be configured with different modules depending on if it's mainly going to be used for recording, post production or whatever else. The guy you talked to must not know much about this model.

It was sold as a "post production & recording console".
Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah I know. It's been a few years since I started this thread and the board's been wonderful throughout this time.

If anyone ever attempts using 8001 modules with this board though - make sure you have all schemo for both before you do it otherwise it's a pain in the ass. They do sound different than the stock 8101s with much more drastic and focused EQ (3 position switchable lo and hi freq as opposed to fully sweepable) but they also have a much more basic grounding design so they are noisier, line-ins are 'pseudo-balanced' (unbalanced ;-)) with pin 2 hot. Also no direct-out by default. My techs had to add a tiny PCB to every module with direct out routing copied from 8101. So it was a whole endeavor and not cheap at all.
Old 9th May 2014
If anyone has any working WU-8101 modules, I still need 5 more for my Ramsa WR-8616. PM me.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search