Login / Register

A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer
New Reply
Subscribe
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Gear interested

I still see it for $1999 at Musicians Friend and several other places.

I am looking to buy one in the immediate future and I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anything changed about the specs or functionality of this board since it was released? In other words if I buy a used one, will I be getting the same board as a new one?

2) Is anyone here selling one? :D
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear nut

Sorry I am obviously behind teh curve, but what thunderbolt? What do you mean vintage firewire?

What have i missed ?
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Purveyors of quality sample based instruments
www.goldbaby.co.nz
Blog
Twitter

29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie View Post
Don't get me wrong... I like the the Zed16.

Studio gear occasionally breaks down. Even really well made stuff. So I'm not disappointed with A&H because of that.

What I am disappointed with is the cost of getting it repaired. If I had known the upkeep on this mixer would be so ridiculously expensive I would have thought twice about purchasing.

- Hugo
Hi Hugo,
We only want happy customers! Please let me know (PM is best) if you have problems with the repair.
BTW, what kind of issues were you having with connection? How old is the mixer?
Kind regards,
Mike.
+44 (0)1326 377097
w: www.allen-heath.com
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
Hi Hugo,
We only want happy customers! Please let me know (PM is best) if you have problems with the repair.
BTW, what kind of issues were you having with connection? How old is the mixer?
Kind regards,
Mike.
Hi Mike

Thanks for getting in touch. Will keep you updated about the progress of the repairs. Just waiting for more info from the repair guy...

- Hugo
30th March 2011
Old 30th March 2011
Gear nut

Thanks for helping me out, not being a Mac guy i was behind the curve on that one. Oh and Ps when you said the thunderbolt i thought you meant it in reference to the fact that the news was a 'thunderbolt' not that the product was called that.

So just when it looked like we might be getting a Universal standard for connection with USB3 Steve Jobs has to pull his shizzle again the joys.

Anyhoo wrong thread, however I think I will still be buying a new PC and the Zed 16, hopefully by the time i am ready to upgrade, all this twaddle will have sorted itself out. We will probably be on Lightingwave connections by then, powered by a combination of Steve Jobs ego, ground unicorn horn and bananas.

G
30th March 2011
Old 30th March 2011
Gear interested

fwiw, I've been using a PC, Win7 x64 and ZED-R16 for a good while now and its been rock solid. I even sold all my RME ADAT cards as they were not required for my setup.
I record my band across all 16 tracks concurrent into Cubase 5, have midi mapped for the ZED to control tape functions(start/stop/record/rewind) and everything just works and most important of all, all the time with.
31st March 2011
Old 31st March 2011
Gear interested

hello please

has any body ran the zed r 16 with apple and logic full studio 9 without any hassle, i'm having some troubles but I might just need some instruction on getting it all talking properly?
4th April 2011
Old 4th April 2011
Gear interested

im very intrigued by the zed, i wonder if mike alienheath knows how to avoid the missing resistors units, is it about the country where it was made or a specific serial number... im in italy and id like to buy one but i dont want to end up packing it for assistance after a few days. Let me know!
Thanks
4th April 2011
Old 4th April 2011
Gear interested

R16 iMac and PT 9

This may have been discussed but I'm looking at buying an iMac PT 9 and the R16. I'm curious what routing would look like. Is any additional hardware needed or can you use FireWire straight from the zed to the iMac? Are there additional options for routing for best results? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited by MikeyP; 4th April 2011 at 04:21 PM..
5th April 2011
Old 5th April 2011
Gear Head

I have a problem with my zed and channels 10, 12, 14 and 16. The A-D is fine, It does send a signal and record but its the D-A on these channels that's the problem. There is no play back at all. It's not a routing issue as these channels have identical settings to the working channels. I have also tried every different routing option I can think of, except for using ADAT routing as I dont use or have that equipment.

The company I got it from won't do anything as it only had a short warranty on It. It was a b-stock item, refurbished straight from Allen & heath.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong? I'm using it via firewire.

Thanks,

Mark.
5th April 2011
Old 5th April 2011
Gear interested

Zed R16 no midi output in Sonar

When setting up my midi devices in sonar, I can select the Zed r16 as a midi input, but the Zed r16 is not available as a midi output. How do I make it available? Thanks.

Sonar x1
6th April 2011
Old 6th April 2011
Gear nut

Mark

Check whether you have selected Stereo input by mistake in your DAW, ie if you had selected a stereo input of 9 and 10 on one track that might be locking up channel 10 even though you are only using channel 9 to record in Mono. The DAW thinks you are recording in Stereo, sorry if you have already checked this, but its the first thing that springs to mind.

Last poster, I don't think that the board has midi out. The midi is only for controlling you're DAW, and as there are no motorized faders or context senstive buttons I don't think it requires output from the DAW. If you are thinking that the board acts as a midi interface for connecting up a midi keyboard and/or a module then it simply does not. Midi is just being used here as machine language to allow the faders moves and start and stop buttons to control the daw.

Hope that helps.
7th April 2011
Old 7th April 2011
Gear interested

How do I hook up an external compressor to the zed r16? Do I use a y-cable into the 1/4" insert jack on the channel?
7th April 2011
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

exactly.
8th April 2011
Old 8th April 2011
Gear interested

So if I want to use a hardware compressor on say 10 tracks, does that mean I need 10 different compressors and 10 y-cables going into their own inserts?
8th April 2011
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Yup
8th April 2011
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

ummm...

yes.
consider plug ins maybe? especially for play back (do you need compression on your recording/input?)
Keep in mind that doing anything to the input source (ie EQ or comping/gating) is permanent and may make you unhappy down the mixing road. the less the better.
8th April 2011
Old 8th April 2011
Gear interested

Yeah I do use plugins, but wanted to incorporate hardware compressors for the tone.
8th April 2011
Old 8th April 2011
Gear interested

That is hardware compression during tracking as opposed to during mixing
8th April 2011
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
I'm sure you'll like hw compression during tracking as well

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
10th April 2011
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Head

Send a message via ICQ to dallasdon
New Zed R16-Pan pots cut out/noisy

Anyone else have this problem? Brand new A&H Zed R16. First mix with it, and I notice several of the pan pots are noisy and/or cutting out, especially when I have the knob turned full left or full right. Jiggling the knob makes it come in and out, and with some of the knobs, holding it down "just so" makes it work.

It seems to be only the pan pots. I'm going to try compressed air to see if that helps, but I'm not too keen on opening up a brand new mixer for cleaning - I assume that would void the warranty. I'm also not to keen on sending it back to Sweetwater for repair/replacement but if that's my best option then I guess I'll have to.

I haven't gotten to using the digital I/O at all, using it only analog at present.
10th April 2011
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Head

Comps ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzeppelin View Post
That is hardware compression during tracking as opposed to during mixing
I use hardware compression when recording for control purposes more than for effect purposes and by this i mean stopping clipping and for certain things adding a little tone coloration. my background had been more Live oriented than studio, and i was often quick to jump on some compressors and gates when recording, only to find later on i wanted to kick myself for over-doing it (especially gates.) A little bit of comping can definitely help, but it is one of those things you should probably experiment with to find some happy ground. everyone has an opinion on this, i am sure. And of course it goes without saying the hardware piece you are choosing makes a tremendous difference in the outcome too. A lot of tracks of mechanically bad compression aint gonna help anything.
11th April 2011
Old 11th April 2011
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to SonicLegacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Anyone else have this problem? Brand new A&H Zed R16. First mix with it, and I notice several of the pan pots are noisy and/or cutting out, especially when I have the knob turned full left or full right. Jiggling the knob makes it come in and out, and with some of the knobs, holding it down "just so" makes it work.

It seems to be only the pan pots. I'm going to try compressed air to see if that helps, but I'm not too keen on opening up a brand new mixer for cleaning - I assume that would void the warranty. I'm also not to keen on sending it back to Sweetwater for repair/replacement but if that's my best option then I guess I'll have to.

I haven't gotten to using the digital I/O at all, using it only analog at present.
yup. had this problem with one of my pan knobs as well.
11th April 2011
Old 11th April 2011
Gear interested

Hi

Posted a few weeks ago about the range of products available to analog 8 track mixing desks.

Got a few responses, thnx to those who responded.

Someone suggested a Toft 8 track Audio device that looked devine, but way above my budget.

Tonight I ordered a zed 16 r audio device to work with my MacPro.

I hope I get a good one and you don't see me here on this forum complaining of malfunctions, wiring defects etc.

Cheers to A&H, plze supply me with a good one

Michael / offshoresa65s
11th April 2011
Old 11th April 2011
Gear nut

Pulled the trigger on the R16 last week should be arriving later this afternoon, very excited to get my hands on it.

Hardware compression does make a lot of sense to me, I have currrently been using a Octepre for tracking and its very handy on kick and snare to prevent clipping etc, I tend to only set it to 2 or 3 just as a safety net, but its useful.

I could still use OCtepre but then I would be having another Preamp in the chain, which seems a bit pointless given part of hte reason i went with the R16 is becuase the Preamps are supposed to be so nice.

So having looked around, when i next have some cash i might look at getting the Presonus ACP88 that would give you 8 compressors in you're inserts, with the added advantage that they have gates so you could use them in a hardware mix as well.

Just a thought.
11th April 2011
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Head

Send a message via ICQ to dallasdon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLegacy View Post
yup. had this problem with one of my pan knobs as well.
So how did you solve the problem, if I may ask? On my board it's almost all of the pan pots...
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to SonicLegacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
So how did you solve the problem, if I may ask? On my board it's almost all of the pan pots...
Still not resolved. Haven't had time to take it in for repairs. But spoke to
Justin Shoub (US Distributor for Allen & Heath), and they are ready when I am.

Justin Shoub
AMERICAN MUSIC & SOUND
Product Support
Pro Audio
Allen and Heath, Wharfedale, Turbosound, beyerdynamic
www.americanmusicandsound.com justin.shoub@americanmusicandsound.com
(800) 994-4984 x2489

MacBookPro QuadCore i7 (16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 725GB HD)| 27'' Thunderbolt Display | A&H ZED R-16 | MOTU Ultralite | Dynaudio BM5A | Event TR5 | Rokit KRK 10S| Motif 6 | Maschine | AT-4050 | Lexicon MX200 | DIY Acoustic Panels

Last edited by SonicLegacy; 12th April 2011 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: typo
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
Gear Head

Owners Manual and Resources

The owners manual is kind of lacking in depth. just saying ...
I think we need a Zed Tips And Tricks forum or something.
Like the 2 -> 1 button ... why?
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertedPhase View Post
The owners manual is kind of lacking in depth. just saying ...
I think we need a Zed Tips And Tricks forum or something.
Like the 2 -> 1 button ... why?

I feel the manual is more than adequate. I don't think it's A&H's job to teach you why you may want to dupe from one 2 track machine to another, but merely to tell you that it's technically possible.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search