A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer
New Reply
Subscribe
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to beastmastering
console

i also think about buying this console, after all this thread convinced me that it is the best below 2000 if you need a multi purpose console. pres and converters are stunning, only the short fader ways warned me off a little bit but they seem to work very precisely. a meter bridge would also be nice.
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear maniac

Hey mike. Is there a way to make a meter bridge for the zed? Like an attachable one like the tascam or the toft. I know I would buy one

Joeymerichko.com
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear addict

Zed r16 as straight analog box

Hey..very interested in this unit right now but Im wondering if it is useful as the front end for an 8 track tape machine as well?

I know it's not set up this way but wondering if anyones getting joy by stumping the inserts as direct outs etc?

Other options that allow using eq, faders, sends etc with tape on the back end?

There has GOT to be a way to accomplish without setting my head on fire..no?
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Hey..very interested in this unit right now but Im wondering if it is useful as the front end for an 8 track tape machine as well?

I know it's not set up this way but wondering if anyones getting joy by stumping the inserts as direct outs etc?

I would like to know this as well!
I have a Tascam38 that I would like to hookup to the ZEDR16.
The Tascam has 16 unbalanced RCA jacks in/out.
I would like to record 8 channels into the Tascam38 and then print a 2 track mix to a Tascam32 (strictly analog).
Anybody have anything set up like that?
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can buy a standalone ADAT converter (like the highly rated Behringer one for cheap, or a Rosetta800 for more money) to have balanced outs to the tape machine and all the functionality of the desk.

No?
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear addict

I'd be using it as a traditional front end..recording live, direct to tape and then messing with it afterwards either in the analog or digi realms..
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomog View Post
Hey mike. Is there a way to make a meter bridge for the zed? Like an attachable one like the tascam or the toft. I know I would buy one

+1 i would for sure buy one as well it's the only thing the zed is missing in my opinion.

WWW.PURPLEMONKEYRECORDINGSTUDIO.COM
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Head

Send a message via ICQ to TromboneRocker76 Send a message via AIM to TromboneRocker76
issues

Hey all,

Just picked up my Zed-r16 today!! So excited!

However, I am not getting any playback from anything... my system sees the board, I can go through Mikes checklist of getting the Zed used as my audio device... but iTunes freezes and won't play.

Reaper also see's the device and all ins/outs, but won't playback.

Pro Tools 9 also see's the device and all ins/outs, but it too will stall when I hit the spacebar and then not play.

My system is an iMac w/ the i7 chip, 8gb ram, and running OSX 10.6.6

Any insight here? Sorry if this has been talked about before, I am trying to research old posts/threads.

Help greatly appreciated, i can't wait to get working with this new tool!

Cheers
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Head

Send a message via ICQ to TromboneRocker76 Send a message via AIM to TromboneRocker76
Nevermind... I just needed a bit of GS goodluck I guess... of course right after I post asking for help, I decide to try reinstalling the drivers, and now it works!

Yay!
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomog View Post
It would need new side trims, holes in metalwork for cables, internal wiring and an extra 1/4amp from the psu - I think a ZED-R16 mk2 or a GS-R16 might be a better idea....we could put longer faders on then too.

Cheers,
Mike.
+44 (0)1326 377097
w: www.allen-heath.com
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth

It would need new side trims, holes in metalwork for cables, internal wiring and an extra 1/4amp from the psu - I think a ZED-R16 mk2 or a GS-R16 might be a better idea....we could put longer faders on then too.

Cheers,
Mike.
Mike that would be awesome!!! I really want the 24! It's the screensaver on my iPhone lol! If there was a new r16 I would sell mine and get the meter bridge for sure. At least until I can afford the 24
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear interested

FAN or no-fan---is it quiet?

IN this SOS review of A&H Zed r16, they say:

"Turning on the ZED R16, it's immediately ready for use. The blue power LED and MIDI-section buttons light up, and an internal fan starts. Although this isn't completely silent, it's certainly quiet — about the same volume as my MacBook when idling."

Allen & Heath ZED R16

I want to buy one, but I've been hesitant because my new Mac Book Pro is still too loud for recording....I keep my mixer on all the time, I'd want it silent in the room.

Is it?

The rep says

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
Hi Antilog,

ARV is right in saying there is no fan inside - so it's definitely not noise from the fan!

Kind regards,
Mike.
So, is it dead quiet or what?
23rd February 2011
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post

Cheers,
Mike.
Mike, I reckon if you were to make a R16 mk2 or better still call it an GS-R16 and have a GS-R16M as well you would have a MONSTER HIT on your hands.

Keith.
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds

Mike, I reckon if you were to make a R16 mk2 or better still call it an GS-R16 and have a GS-R16M as well you would have a MONSTER HIT on your hands.

Keith.
+1 on that!!!!!!!!
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehmie View Post
So, is it dead quiet or what?
There is no fan and it is dead quiet, no sound at all...none.
It sounds the same turned on or off.
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

How do you integrate hardware processors when mixing down through the Zed R16. Compressors, reverbs etc. How many ins/outs can it cater for?
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Gear addict

Zed16 users might be interested in this:

ZedR16/GSR24 Eq recall VST plug in:

Its an idea i had for a long time and i finally found someone on the Reaper forums who was able to write it for me. He´s now selling it for small bucks on his website:

Allen & Heath ZED R16/GSR24

More recall stuff is coming soon. The guy also considers requests

24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cares
Zed16 users might be interested in this:

ZedR16/GSR24 Eq recall VST plug in:

Its an idea i had for a long time and i finally found someone on the Reaper forums who was able to write it for me. He´s now selling it for small bucks on his website:

Allen & Heath ZED R16/GSR24

More recall stuff is coming soon. The guy also considers requests
Very cool!! Does this work for Mac and pt9?
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Head

I've posted this before, but is anyone using the ZED as an analog mixer? i.e. using the 2 track out to mix into another device? I dig the sound of the board, but when I try to mix OTB into my Masterlink, it sounds considerably lower and weaker. I've never had this problem when mixing via SPDIF or the unbalanced RCA inputs on the Masterlink. any thoughts?
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Gear maniac

How does this work? The zed doesnt send midi on eq faders, so basically you would have to set the eq settings in the box to mirror the desk manually, right?

/J
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkan View Post
How does this work? The zed doesnt send midi on eq faders, so basically you would have to set the eq settings in the box to mirror the desk manually, right?

/J
Yep. I always wanted to have a recall sheet ITB. You can insert the plug in the bus going to the mixer and match settings. Its not as precise as the SSL´s computer recall but it does the job nicely.

I also just got the recall plug for my RNLA.
This is just perfect for my situation.

At them moment its only available as Windows VST...

Oh, and it also should work in the VST to Rtas wrapper. I´m going to test it later...
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Head

Toft vs. Zed

Its perhaps an unfair advantage, but I was hoping to get some debate on the sound quality of the pre's. I have some nice (8 trident, 3 Tube Tech, 2 Avelon) external pre's, but don't want to lug them around (maybe).
looking at the 16 Toft. would feed Lynx Aurora 16 A/D. But there are a whole heck of a lot of features the Zed offers for mobile platform for a lot of the kiddy stuff I'm doing these days to make a buck. If you were going to take 16 recordable live channels, would you take the Zed R16 or a Toft and a boatload of outboard gear for generally pretty crappy pay? (does anybody really get paid what they are worth?) did I just answer my own question, and do you like Guiness?
27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cares View Post
Yep. I always wanted to have a recall sheet ITB. You can insert the plug in the bus going to the mixer and match settings. Its not as precise as the SSL´s computer recall but it does the job nicely.

I also just got the recall plug for my RNLA.
This is just perfect for my situation.

At them moment its only available as Windows VST...

Oh, and it also should work in the VST to Rtas wrapper. I´m going to test it later...
I sure wish there were an au version. I would buy it in a heart beat.
27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertedPhase View Post
Its perhaps an unfair advantage, but I was hoping to get some debate on the sound quality of the pre's. I have some nice (8 trident, 3 Tube Tech, 2 Avelon) external pre's, but don't want to lug them around (maybe).
looking at the 16 Toft. would feed Lynx Aurora 16 A/D. But there are a whole heck of a lot of features the Zed offers for mobile platform for a lot of the kiddy stuff I'm doing these days to make a buck. If you were going to take 16 recordable live channels, would you take the Zed R16 or a Toft and a boatload of outboard gear for generally pretty crappy pay? (does anybody really get paid what they are worth?) did I just answer my own question, and do you like Guiness?
Maybe a little apples and oranges....
For the price of the ZEDR16 and everything you get with it...I don't see how there is any comparison to the Toft16 it's like 4 times the price!
The ZEDR16 will do everything you would possibly need to setup and record pretty much anything you would want from "kiddy" stuff or a full band and you don't need a Lynx A/D or a boatload of outboard gear at all!!....why????
There is nothing needed but the board, some mics, some instruments, cables FW card and a computer with recording software....
Throw some powered speakers and stands in there and you have a PA rig along with a couple channels for stage monitors and Bob's your uncle!
Stuff it all in an anvil case and away you go!
You could use the saved $8000 from the delicate Toft, Lynx and preamps and use it to buy some lighting and pay for the rest of the stage gear and make some $$$.
27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Gear Head

a little push

thanks for reinforcing my thinking. I think I just needed that push over the top to get the wallet out for the Zed...
27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
thanks for reinforcing my thinking. I think I just needed that push over the top to get the wallet out for the Zed...
I wasn't sure why we were comparing a $2500 mixer/interface to like $10k of the other equipment you listed.....LOL
I think if you were building a small project recording studio then having the Toft, Lynx and all those extra preamps in a controlled environment not going anywhere...money to burn...etc etc sure OK....cool.
But it sounded like you were going out live and doing gig recordings, laptop, some mics etc etc? Which is something the ZED can do just as easily as being your recording studio desk. It can do it all and that makes it an attractive all in one solution.
And there's absolutely nothing bad or low quality with the ZED's preamp's, EQ, A/D/A conversion, monitor section or the MIDI control. It all works perfectly as advertised! And it's just a lot of fun to play with. Everything is at your fingertips with great feel and smooth control.
I think in that price range only the Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 or the Mackie Onyx 1640i might be comparable but I think you need to look at who's building and designing the mixer circuits, preamps and EQ and there is no doubt in my mind Allen & Heath know what there doing in that department!
I would also read the tail end of the A&H GSR-24 thread here (sorta the big brother of the R16) and find out what people think of that as well now that it's being delivered. I'm sure there will be good reviews...
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

OK so I just finished setting up my friend's ZEDR16 with his Cubase Studio 4. The last thing I did was the MIDI fader's and MMC transport control between the ZEDR16 and Cubase...which didn't work!
I can go into the transport control dialog box and check the activate box for the controls but it doesn't stay set!
The MIDI control faders all work fine but the transport controls using MMC does not. It won't stay set in the Cubase transport control dialog box.
In the manual it says (Cubase only).
So I'm concluding his version is keeping the ZEDR16 from working!
Anyone else run into this quirk?
Does this really mean Cubase Studio 4 version doesn't permit setting up MMC transport control functionality and if that is true why would a feature like that be disabled in a second tier version??? WTF?!
Only the MMC control protocol is disabled not the CC MIDIl!!
I don't see how that can be such an important feature to only be allowed in the full version, but maybe there's a reason. Seems pretty weird.

Maybe someone knows a workaround...or I missed something...I don't know. My friend was a little miffed and confused as was I.
It was a disappointing quirk after everything else worked flawlessly and he was loving it! When I got the fader's running he was speechless and then bam!...I could not for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't take the transport control settings....just didn't make any sense....typical upgrade issues I guess when you buy lower tier software versions!....but very frustrating and a bit annoying!
I recommended he upgrade his Studio 4 to Cubase 6 full version for $199 but man it's a hard sell just to get that feature to work....even though I know he would love using C6?
I've always personally bought full versions of software in order to avoid this sort of thing and my ZEDR16/C6 setup works perfect and is absolutely fantastic....but I would sure like to help him make the best decision here....he loves everything else about the ZED and wouldn't you know it the last feature to get up and running after such earlier success today was this!
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
OK so I just finished setting up my friend's ZEDR16 with his Cubase Studio 4. The last thing I did was the MIDI fader's and MMC transport control between the ZEDR16 and Cubase...which didn't work!
I can go into the transport control dialog box and check the activate box for the controls but it doesn't stay set!
The MIDI control faders all work fine but the transport controls using MMC does not. It won't stay set in the Cubase transport control dialog box.
In the manual it says (Cubase only).
So I'm concluding his version is keeping the ZEDR16 from working!
Anyone else run into this quirk?
Does this really mean Cubase Studio 4 version doesn't permit setting up MMC transport control functionality and if that is true why would a feature like that be disabled in a second tier version??? WTF?!
Only the MMC control protocol is disabled not the CC MIDIl!!
I don't see how that can be such an important feature to only be allowed in the full version, but maybe there's a reason. Seems pretty weird.

Maybe someone knows a workaround...or I missed something...I don't know. My friend was a little miffed and confused as was I.
It was a disappointing quirk after everything else worked flawlessly and he was loving it! When I got the fader's running he was speechless and then bam!...I could not for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't take the transport control settings....just didn't make any sense....typical upgrade issues I guess when you buy lower tier software versions!....but very frustrating and a bit annoying!
I recommended he upgrade his Studio 4 to Cubase 6 full version for $199 but man it's a hard sell just to get that feature to work....even though I know he would love using C6?
I've always personally bought full versions of software in order to avoid this sort of thing and my ZEDR16/C6 setup works perfect and is absolutely fantastic....but I would sure like to help him make the best decision here....he loves everything else about the ZED and wouldn't you know it the last feature to get up and running after such earlier success today was this!
This is worth a shot,my zed's default midi "ch16" settings dropped out once after i updated a driver,your friend's could have been shipped that way..
I had the same prob. faders,yes/transport,no.

Hold down play and power up the board.
Then hold down 1,3,5,7 and push play again while holding those down.
Then release the play,then the 1,3,5,7 buttons and restart the board.
Its on the last page of the manual.That brought mine back.

P.s. before i upgraded nuendo, i had the transport functions operating using the generic remote function.
I was using the 3 arrow buttons and the plus button for play/stop/rec/rew.
If all else fails,he could always do that,i could tell you how to set that up.
Hopefully the reset will work.
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
Gear Head

A&h gsr-24

Thanks again. Yes, i have been reading on it, but seeing very little follow up, other than that it looks cool as heck, 2 valve channels meter bridge.

Anybody know if there are production/distribution issues? Anybody other than the guy on YouTube get one? If ya got one are you selling your Zed R16?
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks again. Yes, i have been reading on it, but seeing very little follow up, other than that it looks cool as heck, 2 valve channels meter bridge.

Anybody know if there are production/distribution issues? Anybody other than the guy on YouTube get one? If ya got one are you selling your Zed R16?
I am not getting a gs24 cause the r16 is a good fit for me but i do have a zed R-16 for sale,Its a second one that i aquired and its brand new unused.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search