Login / Register

A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer
New Reply
Subscribe
3rd February 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Head

yeehaw

.. got my ZED back today. Boy i missed her.
3rd February 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk! View Post
I don't own a Zed R16 yet, I'm torn between buying an R16 or getting a Steinberg MR816 x.

I run my apogee duet in the setup I mentioned above and it works fine for recording 2 channels, I'm not sure how it would cope for 16 channels at once though!

I really like the idea of the R16 but I wish it had direct outs for each channel and another thing that concerns me is there seems to be lots of people having trouble using firewire 800 to 400 cables direct from macbook pro to the Zed - I don't want to have to run it chained off an external HD as I'd rather connect my HD via eSATA and run 1 cable from the macbook pro to the Zed.
Use the inserts...
4th February 2010
Old 4th February 2010
Gear interested

I'm now a happy camper. Thanks to great support and service from Allen Heath's US distributor, American Music and Sound, I have a functioning ZED R16. Thank you Justin!

I'm very happy with the sound quality of the recordings I've made so far. It's a step up from using the inserts (as direct outs) from my Yamaha analog mixer to my Echo AudioFire 12s. The pres are better and there is less equipment/cabling in the signal path.

I've been struggling a bit trying to map all the midi keys in Sonar 8.5. I just can't find a way to get the shift key to shift the button banks. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtama View Post
I'm really trying to like the ZED R16, but I'm going on my third one in two weeks. The first one I received had a number of issues, bent fader on channel 1, clicks and pops when pressing the PFL buttons and it would not connect to my PC at all even though the serial number was not in the range of the units with the grounding problem. The box I received it in looked like it had been around the world 10 times.

So, I send that one back and got the replacement about a week later. I un-box it, set it up and presto everything is working fine. I record a few tracks. Try playing the tracks back and some of the other ZED features, no problems. So I think I'm all set. I completely tear apart my studio and setup the ZED as my centerpiece. I plug everything in, turn it back on and, WHAT #$%^&*??? It will not connect to my computer. I tried every trick I know, different cables, FW ports, reload the driver, reboot, you name it. It will NOT connect. My main PC is Windows 7 64 bit. So, I load the drivers on my XP 32 bit system and try it there. No luck it will not connect. So, I call Allen & Heath support. Turns out my ZED had the grounding problem, but the distributor claims they fixed it before shipping it. I guess they didn't do a very good job.

So now this one is going back and they claim they will send me one that is factory fresh without the grounding problem and they will test it before sending it. You know the old saying, "three strikes and you're out". If it doesn't work this time I'm done with the ZED. I only have so much patience.

Wish me luck. I really want to like and use this product.
4th February 2010
Old 4th February 2010
Gear nut

recording with the zed

Hi all. I have a question. When i record with the zed i have it on dig return pre insert i think. Its the third button down on the levels. It allows me to use the eq but it does not record with the eq. Once i have recorded material i wish to move it to another system with which i dont use the zed. Is there any way of recording with the zed eq so when i transfer to another system it sounds as it did when recorded on the zed.

Also, can i use the zed as an interface only. It seems that if i have a track loaded up that isnt routed to the channels, there is no sound but it is recognized as a sound card in windows audio settings. I cant limit myself to 16 channels for a dance track but the only way i have been able to get sound for soft synths is to route them to chanels on the zed.
5th February 2010
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.quash View Post
Hi all. I have a question. When i record with the zed i have it on dig return pre insert i think. Its the third button down on the levels. It allows me to use the eq but it does not record with the eq. Once i have recorded material i wish to move it to another system with which i dont use the zed. Is there any way of recording with the zed eq so when i transfer to another system it sounds as it did when recorded on the zed.

Also, can i use the zed as an interface only. It seems that if i have a track loaded up that isnt routed to the channels, there is no sound but it is recognized as a sound card in windows audio settings. I cant limit myself to 16 channels for a dance track but the only way i have been able to get sound for soft synths is to route them to chanels on the zed.
Hi
The method to use is "RECORDING POST-EQ FROM AN ANALOGUE MIX". The best way to explain is probably: look on page 36 of the User Guide.. :-)

The second question mystifies me a bit. When you use the ZED as the 'sound card', you have to assign it to any of the channels to hear sound. Sounds logic to me though?

reg.
Ramon
5th February 2010
Old 5th February 2010
Gear interested

Zed R16 & Analogue Reel to Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Giallo Uomo View Post
Cool, just to clarify you're talking about the channel inserts and not the bus inserts when you speak of connecting this to a patch bay? If so how does that work?
Hey!

Did you ever work out how to do this? Im looking to do the same thing!

Cheers,
Chris P
5th February 2010
Old 5th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk! View Post
I'm guessing you are running fw800 cable between HD and macbook pro and a fw400 from hard drive to the R16?

Have you tried recording 16 tracks at once in Logic using this setup?
I have a HD running to the macbook pro via firewire 800. Fire wire 400 from my zed to my macbook pro when i am using logic. with protools i have a digi rack 002 i am going from the outputs of the digi rack to inputs of the zed. then adat 9-16. I like mixing in PT.
I have recorded all 16 in logic with no problem.
6th February 2010
Old 6th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigBoy View Post
Hey!

Did you ever work out how to do this? Im looking to do the same thing!

Cheers,
Chris P
I don't have an r16 yet i'm justing planning for the future. I'm now waiting to see how much the r24 will cost when released or even waiting to see if they release a make 2 r16 with direct outs. But I did read up a little on the topic and it's apparently do-able. Don't take my word for it I've only skimmed through this but if you read about patch bays you can get the idea.
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilog View Post
Just spoke with A&H US support, have to take in my board for repair to a local shop. Very disappointed in A&H quality right now.
I got the board back, and the firewire connection works fine, no issues. But now it developed a loud fan sound, like an old PC fan. It's impossible to use for quiet work. I contacted US support, and they said sorry, but it has to go back to the shop. I'd open it up and fix it myself, but I don't want to void the warranty.

FYI

http://www.electronmedia.org
http://www.antilog.org
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Gear maniac

Wow, that stinks! I wasn't even aware that there was a fan inside. If there is, mine is dead quiet and I don't feel any air being moved near any of the vents. Makes me wonder now if mine is working...
If I were you I would at least open it up and see what was making the noise.
pjk
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
pjk
Gear Head

Does anyone know if it is possible to route some channels to an output (other than the master buss) so i could eg put board eq'ed drum channels through a compressor etc ? I know the board doesnt have any groups but im wondering if there is any work around, as i havent read the manual. I dont own an R16, just looking into it and it doesnt seem possibe which is no good for me but i thought id ask owners around here just incase it can be done.

cheers
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg62 View Post
Wow, that stinks! I wasn't even aware that there was a fan inside. If there is, mine is dead quiet and I don't feel any air being moved near any of the vents. Makes me wonder now if mine is working...
Well with all the problems I've had with it in the first few months, I definitely don't want to risk voiding the warranty. I asked US support, and they said to take it in. While the repair shop is well run, they have a 3 week lead time to just look at the unit, and $50 to look at it ASAP. Not exactly great warranty support on Allen & Heath's behalf.

I foolishly thought this thing would be built like a tank, like the Mix Wizard I previously owned. Perhaps A&H is cashing in on its reputation.
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomog View Post
I have a HD running to the macbook pro via firewire 800. Fire wire 400 from my zed to my macbook pro when i am using logic. with protools i have a digi rack 002 i am going from the outputs of the digi rack to inputs of the zed. then adat 9-16. I like mixing in PT.
I have recorded all 16 in logic with no problem.
Thanks for the reply, that's good to know!
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Well with all the problems I've had with it in the first few months, I definitely don't want to risk voiding the warranty. I asked US support, and they said to take it in. While the repair shop is well run, they have a 3 week lead time to just look at the unit, and $50 to look at it ASAP. Not exactly great warranty support on Allen & Heath's behalf.

I foolishly thought this thing would be built like a tank, like the Mix Wizard I previously owned. Perhaps A&H is cashing in on its reputation.
Hopefully this will be an easy fix for you. I've had problems myself. Had it in the shop for the firewire ground bus issue. I'm planning on using the board this year as part of a mobile rig so I guess I'll find out how it holds up. Did they actually say it was the fan? The reason I ask is I don't recall seeing a fan inside when I had mine opened up and I don't hear one at all on my unit.
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg62 View Post
Same here (no noise). And i am 100% SURE there is NO fan whatsoever in the ZEDR16. I can say so, cause i have had my ZED opened up.

I even bought the ZED specifically for its silence, compared to other digi mixers!
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:

Hi Antilog,

Sorry to hear about this problem. I'll follow this up with Tech Support in the UK who will contact the US team to find out the situation and see if there's anything we can help with.
ARV is right in saying there is no fan inside - so it's definitely not noise from the fan!

Kind regards,
Mike.
+44 (0)1326 377097
w: www.allen-heath.com
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear nut

sound without routing

The second question mystifies me a bit. When you use the ZED as the 'sound card', you have to assign it to any of the channels to hear sound. Sounds logic to me though?

reg.
Ramon

i.e when i use my edirol m16 dx interface all i have to do is select it as a device, have my speakers plugged into the controll room out and i have sound from every channel in cubase. I dont have to assign each track in cubase to a channel on the mixer. The only way i can achieve playback with the zed is to route tracks in my DAW to the zed channels.
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear maniac

hi,

ramon - what you seem to be wanting is a stereo mix playback from Cubase... you also have this with the R16 - check the right side of the mixer "Dig Master - Main Mix L-R" on channels 17/18

with the M16-DX you are limited to the stereo mix for output, with the R16 you have it in addition to the 16 channels of individual D-A tracks

i can tell you from experience (i've used both, and own the R16 now) that the R16 sounds *WAY* better than the M16-DX, in every way. it's like comparing a Minimoog to a VSTi IMO

PS i haven't read this thread for ages, but skimming through the most recent posts i mostly see people with problems... but i'm sure that there are a lot more poeple like me, who are using it with no problems whatsoever... and not really bothering to read about it on forums, too busy using it happily to make music... my recordings with it have been top notch - i'm loving it

jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.quash View Post

reg.
Ramon

i.e when i use my edirol m16 dx interface all i have to do is select it as a device, have my speakers plugged into the controll room out and i have sound from every channel in cubase. I dont have to assign each track in cubase to a channel on the mixer. The only way i can achieve playback with the zed is to route tracks in my DAW to the zed channels.
9th February 2010
Old 9th February 2010
Gear addict

Huh. Sorry to chime in with not so great news.

I worked with my chinese replacement unit for a couple days flawlessly.
Then, boom again, last night i got dropouts and, to make things worse, i got a tiny little electric shock when removing the firewire cable. I mean, it was really not strong but still seems to indicate a firewire grounding issue.

I asked the distributor if they tested the unit before shipping and they said yes. It worked when it arrived and then for some days. Two days ago i got the first dropouts again and thought shite.. I replugged the firewire and was going again. For a day...

So it seems, the problem is not immanent. It seems to develop over time. Might there be some inconsistencies getting worse when warming up?

Or is there a possibility i am doing something wrong?
The board is connected to my laptops PCMCIA bus via a normal cardbus card.

9th February 2010
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE

PS i haven't read this thread for ages, but skimming through the most recent posts i mostly see people with problems... but i'm sure that there are a lot more poeple like me, who are using it with no problems whatsoever... and not really bothering to read about it on forums, too busy using it happily to make music... my recordings with it have been top notch - i'm loving it

i've read most of the threads and there has really only been one real problem, and that was the missing resistors and there are likely not many of them around anymore. maybe a few strays but it's an easy fix.there's been a few other odd issues that are present in all units from any company. look at toyota..it happens.
mine runs great and another guy in town here has one and it runs great.
we both run dedicated computers, no internet, no security,no garbage exept what's needed for audio production. laptops create problems, not all but most.

most of the problems i see with this stuff is computer related and lack of experience in computer troubleshooting..also lack of experience with studio equipment.

my two aardvark q-10's worked fine when i had them even though everyone said, you'll never get them working, they're all crap.(took some doing)

my onyx 1200f wich i still use works great but people said, there's firewire issues, they're crap, mackie's crap.(got it going with minor effort)

my zed r16 works like a charm.(had to load the driver twice)

im either the luckiest bastard in the world or i took the time to learn how to troubleshoot..
9th February 2010
Old 9th February 2010
Gear maniac

insert to direct out converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjk View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to route some channels to an output (other than the master buss) so i could eg put board eq'ed drum channels through a compressor etc ? I know the board doesnt have any groups but im wondering if there is any work around, as i havent read the manual. I dont own an R16, just looking into it and it doesnt seem possibe which is no good for me but i thought id ask owners around here just incase it can be done.

cheers
Hosa makes a insert to direct out converter. i haven't tried it yet but wanna pick it up
Welcome to Sweetwater.com | Call Us @ 800 222 4700
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Gear interested

chaining zed r16s

so, hello all. I have done some sleuthing, but not found alot of info on daisy chaining 2 (two) A&H zed r16s together, so i could have 32 channels ! I think this would be a more viable for live/studio/mobile recording.
but i've got a few questions before i buy two (2) units....Has ANYONE tried it yet? do i really get 32 line inputs to cakewalk(or sonar, although not a big fan of the gui on sonar..)how's the latency with 2 boards? Is this gonna confuse me, trying to double my house outs, moniter buses, etc, or does the board recognize another board as a slave..? asthetics....do they actually "physically" link together?

So that's just a start... And I hope I'm not wasting my time buying two of these. I've seen all the rumors for the zed 24(even a 32..?). But obviously havent seen any solid release dates..You know how that goes. Thanks all!
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Has anyone gotten a constant "No devices found" when their Zed-R16 is hooked up? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers 10 times but it makes no difference. I got the Zed-R used from an online retailer and am thinking it has a hardware issue (the grounding resistors are in place). I am on a unibody Macbook pro 13" and it can't see the Zed-R. Any guidance is appreciated.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral View Post
Has anyone gotten a constant "No devices found" when their Zed-R16 is hooked up? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers 10 times but it makes no difference. I got the Zed-R used from an online retailer and am thinking it has a hardware issue (the grounding resistors are in place). I am on a unibody Macbook pro 13" and it can't see the Zed-R. Any guidance is appreciated.
Hi Spiral,
Which OS are you running in your Mac? If previoous to 10.5.2 you need the older driver found here under Mac OS X 10.4:
ZED SERIES :: ALLEN & HEATH
The newer driver (for OSX 10.5.2 or higher) isn't compatible with the older Mac OS.
If still having problems you can contact support@allen-heath.com for urgent help.
Cheers,
Mike.
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydreds View Post
so, hello all. I have done some sleuthing, but not found alot of info on daisy chaining 2 (two) A&H zed r16s together, so i could have 32 channels ! I think this would be a more viable for live/studio/mobile recording.
but i've got a few questions before i buy two (2) units....Has ANYONE tried it yet? do i really get 32 line inputs to cakewalk(or sonar, although not a big fan of the gui on sonar..)how's the latency with 2 boards? Is this gonna confuse me, trying to double my house outs, moniter buses, etc, or does the board recognize another board as a slave..? asthetics....do they actually "physically" link together?

So that's just a start... And I hope I'm not wasting my time buying two of these. I've seen all the rumors for the zed 24(even a 32..?). But obviously havent seen any solid release dates..You know how that goes. Thanks all!
Hi Jonny,

Yes we've connected two ZED-R16s together. Attached is a guide on how to do it. Latency will depend on how good the computer is at streaming up to 52 channels of audio, but it's effectively still just one FireWire bus because the mixers are daisy-chained.

I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Mike.
Attached Files
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
Hi Spiral,
Which OS are you running in your Mac? If previoous to 10.5.2 you need the older driver found here under Mac OS X 10.4:
ZED SERIES :: ALLEN & HEATH
The newer driver (for OSX 10.5.2 or higher) isn't compatible with the older Mac OS.
If still having problems you can contact support@allen-heath.com for urgent help.
Cheers,
Mike.
Thanks mike. It's 10.6 (with all recent updates applied). I got this mixer used from an online retailer and it has obviously been opened (screws missing on the front) and has a weird burn smell inside. I am able to return it but they won't have stock again until April. I left a phone message for Justin at US support so i will see where that goes.

Thanks!
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Gear interested

SOLD !!

wow! thanks for the quick reply mike! SOLD!!! I'm gonna see who has two in stock around here today ! I can't wait. just the versatility alone makes this perfect for me! I can do coffeshop recordings, home studio recordings, and I plan on trying both boards linked as a FOH setup, whilst being able to capture the energy of live concert digitally! Thanks so much!
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

A couple of questions...

So I've read 20+ pages of this thread but I was hoping someone could save me reading the remaining 30 or so and confirm a couple of things:

1)vista 64/ windows 7 64 compatibility? It seems most folks have gotten the zed working with 64bit drivers now? I have vista 64 and would prefer not to buy another version if I can avoid it but is the zed more compatible with 7?

2)using the zed with outboard gear. I have a number of nice compressors and a reverb that I like. What are the options for using outboard gear?

-effects:If you want to print a track with an outboard effect, you'd use the inserts, correct? What about adding the effect when mixing? If you are running the tracks back from the DAW through the zed, can you use either the inserts or the aux sends? Is there a difference? Sorry if this is a total newbie question. If you wanted to put a compressor on the mix bus what would the options be?

-pres: I understand that the pres are excellent but I have at least one pre (the original joe meek vc1) that I love for voice and need to be able to use. From the posts in this thread, is the insert the only way to use this when tracking? I've seen references to patching via a patchbay, but you're still going into the inserts right?

The way I hope to use the board is to record everything through the board, then mix/sum via the board as well. I like the option to use it as a DAW controller but I don't see myself using it that way, I like to move faders too much So in this scenario, I'd track thorugh the board, send it back to the board digitally, mix with the faders, EQ (which I'm very excited to be able to use, I dislike plugins for EQ, because I get distracted from listening by having to bring up the plug, mouse around etc), sum to the mix buss back to the DAW?

I realize some of these questions (maybe all) have been addressed here already, but I just hope to get some final answers before I pull the trigger on my new Zed

Thx!
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyhertz View Post
So I've read 20+ pages of this thread but I was hoping someone could save me reading the remaining 30 or so and confirm a couple of things:

1)vista 64/ windows 7 64 compatibility? It seems most folks have gotten the zed working with 64bit drivers now? I have vista 64 and would prefer not to buy another version if I can avoid it but is the zed more compatible with 7?

I'm using Vista 64 with mine and once set up right it's been pretty much rock solid, it is possible but I think people have reported better success with 32 bit O.S's

2)using the zed with outboard gear. I have a number of nice compressors and a reverb that I like. What are the options for using outboard gear?

I use the aux sends and then bring the reverb outs back into discreet channels, seems the most flexible for me

-effects:If you want to print a track with an outboard effect, you'd use the inserts, correct? What about adding the effect when mixing? If you are running the tracks back from the DAW through the zed, can you use either the inserts or the aux sends? Is there a difference? Sorry if this is a total newbie question. If you wanted to put a compressor on the mix bus what would the options be?

Most of this is answered above, but for mix buss compression, I would use the master insert

-pres: I understand that the pres are excellent but I have at least one pre (the original joe meek vc1) that I love for voice and need to be able to use. From the posts in this thread, is the insert the only way to use this when tracking? I've seen references to patching via a patchbay, but you're still going into the inserts right?

you could use an insert to bypass the attenuable line input, to be honest though I just run my pre's line out's to the line in's on the board

The way I hope to use the board is to record everything through the board, then mix/sum via the board as well. I like the option to use it as a DAW controller but I don't see myself using it that way, I like to move faders too much So in this scenario, I'd track thorugh the board, send it back to the board digitally, mix with the faders, EQ (which I'm very excited to be able to use, I dislike plugins for EQ, because I get distracted from listening by having to bring up the plug, mouse around etc), sum to the mix buss back to the DAW?

That's pretty much how I do it, and it works great, I end up with a printed 2 track of the mix in my DAW then export the 2 track out

I realize some of these questions (maybe all) have been addressed here already, but I just hope to get some final answers before I pull the trigger on my new Zed

Pull the trigger, it's an awsome piece of kit

Thx!
Cheers
LK
11th February 2010
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Cheers
LK
Thanks for your excellent reply, Lovekrafty. I've seen a lot of your responses here and you've been very helpful to a lot of folks. You should get an endorsement or something

Regarding the effects using the aux sends. You mean you send your track to the effect then send the output of the effect unit to another track? Not using the returns at all? So then you'd have 2 tracks, the dry track and the wet track? I guess doing it this way (If I'm understanding it) would mean you could use reverbs and compressors and so forth on different tracks, you'd just do them one at a time, then mix the wet tracks (or some combination of wet and dry tracks) when you're doing mixdown? Doing it this way seems to negate the problem of only having 2 Post fade auxes, yes? If I've got it right, that seems pretty workable thumbsup
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search