Login / Register

A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer
New Reply
Subscribe
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Lives for gear

i'm using it with PTLE, digi002rack, using 8 analog and adat. It's ok for me...
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Gear Head

Well, this scares me too much. Looks like I'm off the r16 bandwagon. All that time spent. All that gear lust coursing through my veins.

I am just way to scared of buying this thing and liquidating my fine-working gear and then not being able to do anything because of unforeseen (and some foreseen) problems. I admire the effort on the part of A&H. I've really loved the products of theirs I've owned (the System 8 and an a Mixwizard), but $2000 is too much to take a flyer on. Unless someone can talk me off the ledge I'm going to upgrade my 828 mkii to something fancier and move on.
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlewis View Post
Well, this scares me too much. Looks like I'm off the r16 bandwagon. All that time spent. All that gear lust coursing through my veins.

I am just way to scared of buying this thing and liquidating my fine-working gear and then not being able to do anything because of unforeseen (and some foreseen) problems. I admire the effort on the part of A&H. I've really loved the products of theirs I've owned (the System 8 and an a Mixwizard), but $2000 is too much to take a flyer on. Unless someone can talk me off the ledge I'm going to upgrade my 828 mkii to something fancier and move on.
Why don't you see if there is anywhere in your area that might have a demo to try out ? I'm sure Mike could point you to a dealer.
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Gear Head

This is just my opinion of course but I would see this as more a limitation of the iMac than anything else. That's why I got a Mac Pro - not because I really need all the number crunching power as the stuff I record is mostly acoustic duo with a VERY small track count. IOW an iMac or a MacBook would do the job perfectly well in terms of running the DAW (Logic) and plugins. Where they fall down severely is in terms of peripheral connectivity, especially FW. That you have yours working as it is with so many things daisy chained is something of a small miracle - especially with an audio interface (any!) and a Liquid Mix on the same internal bus to say nothing of external drives.

Anyways maybe you CAN repeat the miracle - this maybe more about how you specifically happen to use the gear. For example if you had a back up drive that was infrequently used daisy chained to the R16, or you don't use the external drives to stream samples at the same time that you're trying to use the Liquid Mix . . . the only way to be sure is to get one on a trial basis on a credit card and send it back if it doesn't work.

Me, I'm waiting for the R24 - not because I need the extra tracks, but because I think we're going to see A&H having learned many valuable lessons with the R16. That means a LOT of guys doing pro/semi pro work will want to sell their R16's - maybe to a hobbyist like me!

That said, lovekrafty has me seriously intrigued about what goodies might be coming with the R24 - and little hints about connectivity are just fanning the flames!

cheers
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Why don't you see if there is anywhere in your area that might have a demo to try out ? I'm sure Mike could point you to a dealer.
Yeah, the closest dealer that might have one in stock would be in Chicago, over 3 hours away. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Argh .
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by awediohead View Post
This is just my opinion of course but I would see this as more a limitation of the iMac than anything else. That's why I got a Mac Pro - not because I really need all the number crunching power as the stuff I record is mostly acoustic duo with a VERY small track count. IOW an iMac or a MacBook would do the job perfectly well in terms of running the DAW (Logic) and plugins. Where they fall down severely is in terms of peripheral connectivity, especially FW. That you have yours working as it is with so many things daisy chained is something of a small miracle - especially with an audio interface (any!) and a Liquid Mix on the same internal bus to say nothing of external drives.

Anyways maybe you CAN repeat the miracle - this maybe more about how you specifically happen to use the gear. For example if you had a back up drive that was infrequently used daisy chained to the R16, or you don't use the external drives to stream samples at the same time that you're trying to use the Liquid Mix . . . the only way to be sure is to get one on a trial basis on a credit card and send it back if it doesn't work.

Me, I'm waiting for the R24 - not because I need the extra tracks, but because I think we're going to see A&H having learned many valuable lessons with the R16. That means a LOT of guys doing pro/semi pro work will want to sell their R16's - maybe to a hobbyist like me!

That said, lovekrafty has me seriously intrigued about what goodies might be coming with the R24 - and little hints about connectivity are just fanning the flames!

cheers
Again, I use an imac because of the situation I'm in with my studio. I simply can't justify $2500+ plus a monitor for a work computer. Sure the iMac lacks peripheral inputs, but this is the way that I have worked for years and have never had a problem at all.For my uses it's always had more than enough power.

I know plenty of people who chain their LM. I did the research before I bought it (of course, just like I'm doing now). It works with out a hitch. Most of my mixes are 16 + tracks and it runs fine. I don't see any of it as a miracle. This is how the stuff is supposed to work, as far as I know.
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

cheers
Who me fanning the flames ? I'd love to tell more about what I know but I
agreed to Mikes request of non-disclosure, let's just say he's been listening to a lot of the suggestions on this thread.

Cheers
LK
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Again, I use an imac because of the situation I'm in with my studio. I simply can't justify $2500+ plus a monitor for a work computer. Sure the iMac lacks peripheral inputs, but this is the way that I have worked for years and have never had a problem at all.For my uses it's always had more than enough power.

I know plenty of people who chain their LM. I did the research before I bought it (of course, just like I'm doing now). It works with out a hitch. Most of my mixes are 16 + tracks and it runs fine. I don't see any of it as a miracle. This is how the stuff is supposed to work, as far as I know.
Yeah - in THEORY! But you read the forums and you find any number of posts from guys desperate to get their firewire gear playing nicely together. Sometimes it's the order of the chain that's critical, frequently it's just that they're overloading the bus, and often the solution (if there is one) is that they need another FW bus or have to figure out a way to avoid using bandwidth hungry gear at the same time.

For sure the nature of it is that you only get to hear about people with problems and maybe I have it wrong and there are millions of happy folks with FW devices daisy chained together . . .

I do know for a fact that different devices are variably smart in terms of how they share the available bandwidth - the cheapest option is for them to grab their maximum capacity and keep hold of it even if they're only using 10% - devices like the FF800 have options in the driver/control panel software to limit how much bandwidth they grab - and I believe (though could be wrong) that some devices are smart enough to use only the bandwidth they need in pretty small increments.

So maybe it's not a miracle, but it's a fact that the pro audio guys I know avoid daisy chaining for all their critical FW gear simply because that's what they've found works best and most reliably given the option.

Good luck - hope you get some answers
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Gear interested

Allen & Heath ZED R16

Big Problems with the ZED R16, i buy this mixer at guitar center brand new, i installed windows vista 32 bit on my pc, connect the mixer, it start giving me RX Lock changed, it plays 1 min, stops, and start back automaticly, i called allen & heath they send me the firewire board, i installed it, same thing, i tried windows vista 64 bit, it even reconized the mixer, i install windows xp it start working fine, i think there is a problem with the vista 64 bit drivers, do they already has new drivers? of windows 7? because the xp is not stable, i had several problems in the past with windows xp.
nobody there has tried install windows 7 7 install the mixer?
1st October 2009
Old 1st October 2009
Gear Head

Win 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremesoundlab View Post
Big Problems with the ZED R16, i buy this mixer at guitar center brand new, i installed windows vista 32 bit on my pc, connect the mixer, it start giving me RX Lock changed, it plays 1 min, stops, and start back automaticly, i called allen & heath they send me the firewire board, i installed it, same thing, i tried windows vista 64 bit, it even reconized the mixer, i install windows xp it start working fine, i think there is a problem with the vista 64 bit drivers, do they already has new drivers? of windows 7? because the xp is not stable, i had several problems in the past with windows xp.
nobody there has tried install windows 7 7 install the mixer?

I'm using Win 7 64 bit cubase 5 and the Zed R16. All is solid here with the latest beta drivers. Where did you get the firewire board from? I need one cause one of my ports is out. I've place a service request, but have not heard anything back for weeks.

-Kris
2nd October 2009
Old 2nd October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah - in THEORY! But you read the forums and you find any number of posts from guys desperate to get their firewire gear playing nicely together. Sometimes it's the order of the chain that's critical, frequently it's just that they're overloading the bus, and often the solution (if there is one) is that they need another FW bus or have to figure out a way to avoid using bandwidth hungry gear at the same time.

Good luck - hope you get some answers
It seems like most of the issues I've read about have a lot to do with PCs, not Macs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I found myself skimming over A LOT of PC-related problems as I read through the thread. Not as many mac.

All I'm saying is I've had wonderful luck with all my FW gear up to this point. The the place where I've never even thought about connectivity problems until recently. I was concerned about the LM 16, but it works great. I wonder if the R16 would be the same. The LM was a $200 chance. The R16, 10 times that, so if I could get some clarity before I took the plunge I'd feel great. Allen & Heath folks, are you out there?What are my connectivity concerns here?

Thanks all for the responses.
2nd October 2009
Old 2nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems like most of the issues I've read about have a lot to do with PCs, not Macs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I found myself skimming over A LOT of PC-related problems as I read through the thread. Not as many mac.

All I'm saying is I've had wonderful luck with all my FW gear up to this point. The the place where I've never even thought about connectivity problems until recently. I was concerned about the LM 16, but it works great. I wonder if the R16 would be the same. The LM was a $200 chance. The R16, 10 times that, so if I could get some clarity before I took the plunge I'd feel great. Allen & Heath folks, are you out there?What are my connectivity concerns here?

Thanks all for the responses.
You did'nt mention you had a LM16, I thought you had the LM32, it would take up less firewire bandwidth on your buss, still I'd imagine you are pushing your FW400 close to it's limit.
2nd October 2009
Old 2nd October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:

I was running a MOTU 828 before I got my R16: the difference is astonishing and my mixes/recordings have gone up in quality enormously.

I had many teething issues: firewire card in R16 missing resistors, Magma PCI chassis/multiple FW drives not happy together, though to be fair these issues weren't all the fault of the R16. Whatever issues I had, they were worth the heartache: this mixer is a joy to use.

I hear what you're saying re not buying a bigger mac, but I suggest you find a way to make this work for you: you really will not regret it, even if you find it difficult initially - which needn't be the case.

How about trading your FW drive for a USB2 and leaving the FW port to the R16? Shouldn't be a major problem.

You will love this mixer. I'm waiting for the R24 now and saving pennies...
2nd October 2009
Old 2nd October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainternational View Post

How about trading your FW drive for a USB2 and leaving the FW port to the R16? Shouldn't be a major problem.
Yeah, most of my drives will run USB, I've just always been worried about performance. That and I'll have to run them through a hub. Will that cause any problems? Only 2 ports on my iMac. Clearly as I move up the iMac is going to be irksome, but it's a little over a year old. I'm going to have to live with it for a while.

That still leaves the Liquid Mix 16 that I'd have to run on the FW bus. Hoping that will work. That little box has quickly become a big part of my work flow
3rd October 2009
Old 3rd October 2009
Lives for gear

just read this whole thing....

How low can you set buffers on the R16? I use alot of amp sims, etc...need to get down to 64 at the very least. I realize this is system dependent, but would love to know how low users are setting these things without hiccups.

Core 2 duo
XP SP2
Cubase 4
3rd October 2009
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvesper View Post
I'm using Win 7 64 bit cubase 5 and the Zed R16. All is solid here with the latest beta drivers. Where did you get the firewire board from? I need one cause one of my ports is out. I've place a service request, but have not heard anything back for weeks.

-Kris
Hi kris,
I called allen & heath UK everyday, then they called american music & sound, and they send me a new board, i can give you the email address of the person encharged, i'm downloading windows 7 64 bit, i will install it to see what's happening, i have windows 7 32 bit installed right now it doesn't reconized the driver. you used the latest driver on allen & heath website? the 3.4.2.6300??
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear Head

Addy please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremesoundlab View Post
Hi kris,
I called allen & heath UK everyday, then they called american music & sound, and they send me a new board, i can give you the email address of the person encharged, i'm downloading windows 7 64 bit, i will install it to see what's happening, i have windows 7 32 bit installed right now it doesn't reconized the driver. you used the latest driver on allen & heath website? the 3.4.2.6300??
Yes, an email addy would be much appreciated.
That's the driver I'm currently using and it is pretty stable on my system. I'm using a fw400 pcie card tho since the zed would not work with my onboard TI firewire.

Thanks
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

I just finished a session today using my R16.
I can't imagine ever going back ITB.

I know some people are having probs with firewire and such but if you can
get it running stable it's truly a AWSOME piece of kit.

It's versatility and sound are out of this world
Trust me it's well worth the initial hassle.

Just a little rant, back to music

Cheers
LK
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
I just finished a session today using my R16.
I can't imagine ever going back ITB.

I know some people are having probs with firewire and such but if you can
get it running stable it's truly a AWSOME piece of kit.

It's versatility and sound are out of this world
Trust me it's well worth the initial hassle.

Just a little rant, back to music

Cheers
LK
Any samples to share???
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Loverkrafty:
Yes please on a sample...I just ordered up a ZEDR16 and looking forward to making a sample or two myself....
Are you using Mac or PC?
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Loverkrafty:
Yes please on a sample...I just ordered up a ZEDR16 and looking forward to making a sample or two myself....
Are you using Mac or PC?
What's the easiest way to post samples here ?
I have not figure out that one yet.

I'm running a Quad core PC Vista 64
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

When you click the "post reply" button (not quick reply) there is a paperclip icon up in the dialog box. Click on that then browse to your file and upload...
You can upload a 6Mb .mp3 or .wav file directly into the post.
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

O.K here are some 6 mb samples @ 24/48
These are ideas I'm working on, disclaimer some of the 2 tracks are Compressed / limiting processed but it'll give you an idea

I've been on an electronic music kick lately but every thing you hear was recorded and in some way mixed with the R16.

Cheers
LK

P.S. don't flame me, these are works in progress
Attached Files
File Type: wav allen 1.wav (5.17 MB, 164 views) File Type: wav allen 2.wav (4.44 MB, 90 views) File Type: wav allen 3.wav (4.02 MB, 83 views) File Type: wav allen 4.wav (4.98 MB, 132 views)
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Nice, very clean...I'm on a electronic music kick too!
....and I would never flame
I definitely liked the #4 wav with the vocals.....
I will have to post you some samples as soon as I get mine setup...
Do you typically use it at 48k or have you experimented with it at 96k?
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Nice, very clean...I'm on a electronic music kick too!
....and I would never flame
I definitely liked the #4 wav with the vocals.....
I will have to post you some samples as soon as I get mine setup...
Do you typically use it at 48k or have you experimented with it at 96k?
I recorded everything on that clip ( #4 ) through the R16
On the drums I used John Hardy Custom Cinemag Pres on the overheads and a LA-610 on the mono compressed room mic.

I've been mixing my music for the past 3 years with 5.1 in mind.
I have done 96k but to be honest I stick to 48/24. I tend to record a lot of tracks when putting a tune together and found 96 a bit too limiting on hard drives/ processors.

I always gear my music with video in mind ( indie film artist ).
Thus 24/48 seems natural to me.

Cheers
LK
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yes, the higher rates don't do much for me. I've been using 44.1 in Cubase for most of my tracks. I've run some tests at higher rates but for the most part 44.1 seems to be just fine for my purposes and then there's the large files....sort of a trade off....I have not done any video work, but I've read doing video sync with audio requires recording at 48??
That is a feature of Cubase I have not ventured into yet!
BTW..What software do you use for your audio/video production?

Thanks for the samples and i'll keep you posted on my ZED tests
Peace
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

yeah you can't use 44.1 for video, either 48 , 96 and I think 192

here is an mpeg of the tune I finished up yesterday,
bear in mind it's a 192kb Mpeg

But the R16 can do clean recording wonderfully
with just a hint of warmth / coloration
this recording I think you'll agree definetly
does'nt sound cold and sterile
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 memories+2448.mp3 (5.62 MB, 205 views)
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

not really my cup of tea but does sound great...and interesting...also your website is fu....' amazing, well done!
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
not really my cup of tea but does sound great...and interesting...also your website is fu....' amazing, well done!
Cheers Mal

I do a lot af different music , I've been on an ethereal ambient kick lately
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear interested

Assigning MIDI switches to software instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltervaag View Post
I use Logic 8 and a Power Mac DP 2ghz. Have had no problems so far. Every day I turn of my machine then the mixer. When I come in the studio, I turn on the mixer then the machine. I use some of the old drivers.
I love my Zed R-16.

Midi:

This is what Mike sent me;

"We use the following procedure to map MIDI controllers to parameters in Logic.
In Logic, navigate Preferences/Global/Control Surfaces/Controller Assignments/Easy View.
Then click learn and go to your mixer view on screen. Click a fader for example and a text box will appear "waiting for MIDI message" (or similar). Then move the fader or controller you want to assign and another box will appear to confirm the parameter learn asignment. Then click the next control on screen and repeat.
You'll need to close the Controller assignments pane to see the parameters moving on screen I think."

MMC Transport Controls;

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...etup-notes.pdf

Have fun
Hi! This works fine, but I would also like to use the MIDI switches 1 to 8 on the ZED for recording live MIDI drums etc in Logic Studio (instead of a conventional MIDI keyboard). Is this possible and if so, could anyone please give some directions on how to set it up, for instance with the EXS24? Many thanks in advance!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search