Login / Register

A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer
New Reply
Subscribe
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Thanks for the input.
Guess you are right, it will probably be more flexible to connect it to the outputs on the zed. Which 4 mono outputs would you use for this?
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by spain75 View Post
Thanks for the input.
Guess you are right, it will probably be more flexible to connect it to the outputs on the zed. Which 4 mono outputs would you use for this?
Well that's the problem with the ZED and it's outputs.
You can use the 4 Aux outs of course, but 2 are post fade and 2 are pre fade which isn't a big deal breaker. Each one has it's own Aux output level control. So it's just a matter of adjusting everything at the channel strip and then adjusting the output levels going into the deck to get them the way you want them to tape.

It's really a shame the 4 Aux outs didn't have a "pre/post switch" instead of being internally jumpered.
They can be changed internally to all pre or post but it requires taking each channel card out of the mixer and making that jumper change.
Doesn't sound like an easy task....and I have yet to hear from anyone here who has done that yet!

In fact I'd love to hear from anybody here who has actually gotten inside a ZED at all.....with some pictures!
I guess the ZED isn't old enough or breaking fast enough for anyone to really dig into them yet or start the "modding"!

You could also use the Studio outs or a combination of Aux and Studio's or even the Main master outputs. Some of the outputs can be switched from stereo to mono as well...
I've also heard some people using the channel insert jacks as "Sends" which would be like having a "direct out".
So really it's all a matter of what works best for you and how you want to go about it.

You just have to setup it up, hit record on the tape deck and let er fly!
All analog including analog EQ.

4 track A/A (analog to analog). Hehe

26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Cavern, .. .. thank you !
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear nut

Hey Everyone!

I'm fairly new to this forum. I've been reading this thread for quite some time. I'm in the process of selling an aging Pro Tools HD1 (PCI) system running on an old G5. I'm kind of "stuck in time" due to Avid / Apple upgrade path. I've been looking at both the Apollo and the ZED R16.

Several questions I had ... I've already found answers to on this thread such as:
  1. Does channels 17-18 work at 96kHz?
    YES - with latest firmware.
  2. Does ZED R16 work with Mountain Lion?
    YES
  3. Can MIDI buttons be assigned to MUTE, SOLO, or REC?
    YES - via BMT. Saving presets and swapping.

Here's a few more questions I haven't found answers to yet. Forgive me if these have already been addressed, but this thread is quite large.
  • Does ZED R16 work with PT 10?
  • Can the MIDI Shift button be used to to remap faders from 1-16 (plus MIDI faders 17-20) to the next set - say 21 - 36? If not, what can the Shift button be used for?

Thanks for such a great thread! I love listening to mixes posted on here using the ZED R16. So far what I'm hearing sounds great!
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Wonder if any other ZED R16 users are having this problem?

For some reason the ZED firewire MIDI WILL NOT show up as a device in any of my DAW's (Ableton, PT, etc..). I did the the whole button pushing reset scheme(hold down the PLAY button.. yada yada). I've tried contacting A&H support.....Can't get a straight answer.

The crazy part is it DID work at one point. I had the MMC transport set up with PT(loved it). I was using the MIDI control section to map stuff in Ableton... everything was gravy. Then out of nowhere it just stopped working (ZED does not appear in my list of MIDI devices anymore in any DAW???).

I'm definitely puzzled by this. I am not a MIDI noob by any means (20+ years), but this has got me scratching my head.

Thoughts?

Cheers Carl
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear interested

My first post here, but I have gotten a lot of info here on different topics, thanks all for that.

I have a question about using unbalanced equipment as send effects with the zed r16. Has anybody done this? If so what's the best way to do it? What I'm looking to do specifically is use an electro harmonic deluxe memory boy as a delay for some reggae dub mixing. I know that the aux sends are balanced, but could i use the studio monitor sends too? Not sure if they are balanced, the manual doesn't say but I'm thinking they are. They have buttons for what's being sent to them so they could work as aux sends too.

I guess if I had to I could get a reamp box and use that and there should be no issues at all coming out of an aux send, but I've also read about modifying cables for this purpose, balanced sends to unbalanced ins.

I don't have my zed yet, it's in at the dealer but I'm out of the country so I won't have it for a couple of weeks. Thanks for any info.
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffiti View Post
Hey Everyone!

I'm fairly new to this forum. I've been reading this thread for quite some time. I'm in the process of selling an aging Pro Tools HD1 (PCI) system running on an old G5. I'm kind of "stuck in time" due to Avid / Apple upgrade path. I've been looking at both the Apollo and the ZED R16.

Several questions I had ... I've already found answers to on this thread such as:
  1. Does channels 17-18 work at 96kHz?
    YES - with latest firmware.
  2. Does ZED R16 work with Mountain Lion?
    YES
  3. Can MIDI buttons be assigned to MUTE, SOLO, or REC?
    YES - via BMT. Saving presets and swapping.

Here's a few more questions I haven't found answers to yet. Forgive me if these have already been addressed, but this thread is quite large.
  • Does ZED R16 work with PT 10?
  • Can the MIDI Shift button be used to to remap faders from 1-16 (plus MIDI faders 17-20) to the next set - say 21 - 36? If not, what can the Shift button be used for?

Thanks for such a great thread! I love listening to mixes posted on here using the ZED R16. So far what I'm hearing sounds great!

Yep I use mine with PT10. Can't help with your other question though, as I don't use its MIDI functions at all.
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servy View Post
My first post here, but I have gotten a lot of info here on different topics, thanks all for that.

I have a question about using unbalanced equipment as send effects with the zed r16. Has anybody done this? If so what's the best way to do it? What I'm looking to do specifically is use an electro harmonic deluxe memory boy as a delay for some reggae dub mixing. I know that the aux sends are balanced, but could i use the studio monitor sends too? Not sure if they are balanced, the manual doesn't say but I'm thinking they are. They have buttons for what's being sent to them so they could work as aux sends too.

I guess if I had to I could get a reamp box and use that and there should be no issues at all coming out of an aux send, but I've also read about modifying cables for this purpose, balanced sends to unbalanced ins.

I don't have my zed yet, it's in at the dealer but I'm out of the country so I won't have it for a couple of weeks. Thanks for any info.
No experience with any of those units but I would think you could put that delay unit as an insert on one of the channels. Those are unbalanced in and out TS is send TR is return. Just use a standard insert cable. Any signal you run through that channel would have the delay.
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfalk View Post
Wonder if any other ZED R16 users are having this problem?

For some reason the ZED firewire MIDI WILL NOT show up as a device in any of my DAW's (Ableton, PT, etc..). I did the the whole button pushing reset scheme(hold down the PLAY button.. yada yada). I've tried contacting A&H support.....Can't get a straight answer.

The crazy part is it DID work at one point. I had the MMC transport set up with PT(loved it). I was using the MIDI control section to map stuff in Ableton... everything was gravy. Then out of nowhere it just stopped working (ZED does not appear in my list of MIDI devices anymore in any DAW???).

I'm definitely puzzled by this. I am not a MIDI noob by any means (20+ years), but this has got me scratching my head.
Thoughts?
Cheers Carl
No idea what could be wrong...that might be why A&H had nothing.
Seems like a weird issue for sure if it worked fine previously.
What was the last thing you changed in the system just before it stopped working?? Something to check or think about.
You need to isolate the problem and find out what part is not responding.
The computer, the DAW software or it's the ZED. Try to rule out something.
I might check the ZED first with some other system that will show MIDI activity and check the ZED is actually transmitting MIDI messages.
If the ZED controls respond properly from the ZED, then move on to troubleshooting the DAW software, computer, drivers etc..
Sorry that's all I got...hope you find the problem...
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servy View Post

All the outputs/imputs are balanced/unbalanced for all intent and purpose,except fot the ones like ST in's and such that are unbalanced but can still be mixed into the signal flow.Just plug in and make some music.Use good quality short cables wherever possible,TS or TRS or XLR to TS or XLR to TRS.Hell i've used XLR to RCA and TS/TRS to RCA.

*Gear i have used with the zed..balanced/unbalanced that sounded just as good or bad regardless.
-DBX 1066(un-balanced insert)also balanced through track returns.
-Lexicon reverb(balanced aux 1/2 out TRS to un-balanced St 3/4)TS as send.
-SPX-990(balanced TRS aux 3/4 out to unbalanced St 1/2 ,also send,with TS and/or TRS cables.
-Drawmer 1968ME unbalanced insert(master bus)also balance through ch.strip returns.TRS to XLR and back ...could just as well been TS to XLR.
-Ashley clx-52(just grabed some cables,can't even remember wich ones,souded just as good as a CLX-52 can on guitar).You could use TRS to TRS.
-Guitar pedals into line ins TS toTS.Again you could use TRS to TRS.
-Keyboard through a guitar tremolo pedal(TS) into a balanced/unbalanced line level imput on a zed(TS).
-TC helion voice pedals(XLR to TRS split in/out..so unbalanced) on inserts.

I've had a few brandy's tonight but all im saying is,don't sweat the small stuff.
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
No idea what could be wrong...that might be why A&H had nothing.
Seems like a weird issue for sure if it worked fine previously.
What was the last thing you changed in the system just before it stopped working?? Something to check or think about.
You need to isolate the problem and find out what part is not responding.
The computer, the DAW software or it's the ZED. Try to rule out something.
I might check the ZED first with some other system that will show MIDI activity and check the ZED is actually transmitting MIDI messages.
If the ZED controls respond properly from the ZED, then move on to troubleshooting the DAW software, computer, drivers etc..
Sorry that's all I got...hope you find the problem...
Thanks for the reply...

Yeah I've done all that. Crazy part is the ZED's MIDI works fine using a regular MIDI cable(DIN), just not over Firewire . Strangest thing ever. I've gotten a couple replies from A&H support since first posting here... zero help. nothing. Might as well ask my girlfriend.

Cheers
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Gear Head

I have seen that some people are using external d/a for final mixdown. I have a MH 2882 that I want to try that with and I'm wondering how you get output of the 2882 back into the DAW since the 2882 and the R16 are both firewire.
Can you use two firewire connections into computer simultaneously?

Thanks
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf2525 View Post
I have seen that some people are using external d/a for final mixdown. I have a MH 2882 that I want to try that with and I'm wondering how you get output of the 2882 back into the DAW since the 2882 and the R16 are both firewire.
Can you use two firewire connections into computer simultaneously?

Thanks
Sure,the zed generally likes to be first though so:
-Firewire cable to zed in
-zed through to 2882
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
mixingtable.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Sure,the zed generally likes to be first though so:
-Firewire cable to zed in
-zed through to 2882
Really? Have you tried this? Mac or Windows?
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Gear Head

I was going to take analog out of zed to 2882 to do final mix conversion.
Firewire of 2882 back to daw. But I would have to have firewire out of daw to zed.
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzush View Post
Really? Have you tried this? Mac or Windows?
I have run 2 zed 's that way on PC.
Also a 1200f and the zed on PC

Would it not work on Macs?
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Assuming Macs can also do this,the firewire connection would remain the same,its just passing through both..Then you could still go analog out of the zed to the 2882.All nessesary firewire connections would still be in tact,although the issue would be a conflict between the zed and 2882 drvers and software not being able to run at the same time in your app.
For instance,when i used the zed and the 1200f,i had to select only one driver at a time in Nuendo or use the 1200 through ADAT with no issues.
Im not sure what you want to do is possible.Maybe someone can think of a way to do that without using two computers.
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
mixingtable.com

Quote:

I can understand 2 R16's because they would share the same driver, but how can you select 2 drivers in your DAW? Meaning how can you have control over 2 units with different drivers at the same time from one DAW?

Quality studio furniture, 19 inch racks, replacement side panels & dust covers. http://mixingtable.com
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry,wrong post.
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
mixingtable.com

Quote:
Assuming Macs can also do this,the firewire connection would remain the same,its just passing through both..Then you could still go analog out of the zed to the 2882.All nessesary firewire connections would still be in tact,although the issue would be a conflict between the zed and 2882 drvers and software not being able to run at the same time in your app.
For instance,when i used the zed and the 1200f,i had to select only one driver at a time in Nuendo or use the 1200 through ADAT with no issues.
Im not sure what you want to do is possible.Maybe someone can think of a way to do that without using two computers.
Oh, I thought you had already done that somehow. Never mind
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzush View Post
I can understand 2 R16's because they would share the same driver, but how can you select 2 drivers in your DAW? Meaning how can you have control over 2 units with different drivers at the same time from one DAW?
HA ha,i was explaining that as you were writing this.^^^
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the reply...

Yeah I've done all that. Crazy part is the ZED's MIDI works fine using a regular MIDI cable(DIN), just not over Firewire . Strangest thing ever. I've gotten a couple replies from A&H support since first posting here... zero help. nothing. Might as well ask my girlfriend.

Cheers
Lol. Now that's funny. Sad but funny. I feel your pain.
31st March 2013
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Thanks for the reply...
Cheers
Have you tried testing for MIDI messages at the computer?
You could try using a MIDI tester like MIDIox or MIDItest so you can see if MIDI activity is actually coming from the ZED's FW into the computer.
That way you can confirm it's the ZED and not the drivers or DAW.
I know in Cubase there is a MIDI activity meter that will show activity, but I'm not familiar with any other DAW.
If the ZED FW is at fault, then it will be a matter of replacing or repairing the FW section on the mixer which could be something that's covered by A&H.
Not sure if this is an old model ZED but there was that FW grounding issue with earlier units and the missing ground wire caused loss of FW data.

I'm sure you've done this already but a couple other things would be
trying a different computer. new driver install and a different FW cable.
You could also try uninstalling the current ZED DICE drivers and reinstall the latest download.
Hope that helps, good luck!
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Gear interested

Djmukilteo, I need to use the aux sends to have the delay for more than one channel.

Thanks Cavern, this eases my mind a bit, it'd be good if the manual had a little more detail. I will try with TS cables and see how it works out.
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear Head

Ok got the R16 so far so good... first issue.. I am bringing in outboard preamp via adat and I can record and playback audio in logic but can't find anyway to get the adat preamp into the headphone mix during tracking. I assigned the input channel in Logic to an output on the board but signal still doesn't get to headphones. Tried all the button options.

Thanks
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

I'm considering getting one of these to move to a more "hands-on-knobs" mixing approach. I'd be using it with my RME Fireface UFX and I'm hoping to get some insight into the performance of this desk when used in more complicated routing scenarios.

From what I can tell, as is laid out in the user manual for the R16, I should be able to essentially use the ADAT I/O as an insert on the channel strips, thus tracking to DAW and sending it back to the R16 for OTB live mixing. Simple.

If I wanted to make things complicated I could increase my input count through the RME UFX, by up to 12 inputs (but I would save a pair for the stereo mix from the R16).

I would take my 26 or so inputs and mix some parts ITB using my DAW (or TotalMixFX), in conjunction with the R16's Firewire MIDI controls.
Then hit the switches and, running 16 channels of sub mixes or whatever I wanted back into the ADAT of the R16 (along with using the ST inputs for getting DAW effects through the desk), mix that whole lot through the board.

I know there are no fader motors, or even midi input on the R16, so no instant midi/mix recall when switching, but would what I'm describing be easily doable with a thoughtful workflow? Or am I running headlong into a world of phasing issues by trying to combine all of that?
16th April 2013
Old 16th April 2013
Gear interested

Hey everyone.

This is my first post, but I've been having some major problems with my A&H ZED R16 board and it's been getting worse. Within an hour or so of turning on the R16, and then turning on my computer, my pc will freeze completely. The mouse, keyboard, programs, all freeze and any audio that's playing will cut out, forcing my to do a hard reset. Usually after the first or second hard reset, it'll be fine for the day and never freeze.

Now, I've tried turning on my computer even without the R16 and it works perfectly fine. No problems at all. Then once I turn the board on, it'll freeze soon after.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, with the latest driver for the R16.

If anyone can help me, that'll be greatly appreciated. Let me know what other information you might need from me about my setup. I'm not sure whats information is important in a situation like this.

Thanks
16th April 2013
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNigel View Post
Hey everyone.

This is my first post, but I've been having some major problems with my A&H ZED R16 board and it's been getting worse. Within an hour or so of turning on the R16, and then turning on my computer, my pc will freeze completely. The mouse, keyboard, programs, all freeze and any audio that's playing will cut out, forcing my to do a hard reset. Usually after the first or second hard reset, it'll be fine for the day and never freeze.

Now, I've tried turning on my computer even without the R16 and it works perfectly fine. No problems at all. Then once I turn the board on, it'll freeze soon after.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, with the latest driver for the R16.

If anyone can help me, that'll be greatly appreciated. Let me know what other information you might need from me about my setup. I'm not sure whats information is important in a situation like this.

Thanks
Did it run fine before? Have you done any installs or upgrades? Did you try to uninstall & reinstall driver? Have you tried a different fw cable? Is anything else on your fw bus?
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
Did it run fine before? Have you done any installs or upgrades? Did you try to uninstall & reinstall driver? Have you tried a different fw cable? Is anything else on your fw bus?
No, if I remember correctly, it has always caused me problems. I haven't upgraded it except for the initial update to the newest patch for Win 7 when I first installed it. I'll see if I have another fw cable lying around, and see if that solves it. If not, I'll uninstall and reinstall the drivers and hopefully that works.

It does feel like it could be a hardware issue, either my pc is the problem or A&H. I did buy the parts and built this computer myself, but everything else works fine if R16 is not hooked up.

Thanks for the advice.
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNigel View Post
No, if I remember correctly, it has always caused me problems. I haven't upgraded it except for the initial update to the newest patch for Win 7 when I first installed it. I'll see if I have another fw cable lying around, and see if that solves it. If not, I'll uninstall and reinstall the drivers and hopefully that works.

It does feel like it could be a hardware issue, either my pc is the problem or A&H. I did buy the parts and built this computer myself, but everything else works fine if R16 is not hooked up.

Thanks for the advice.
If possible, try plugging something else into your FW port. Preferable another interface. Check drivers for that card as well. Hopefully you got a card with TI chipset.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search