A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer
New Reply
Subscribe
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarodrigo View Post
Thank you guys. And what about the sound difference between the two of them? Or are their schematics IDENTICAL? Cheers!
To the best of my knowledge there has only ever been one 'schematic.' All R16s, the few early ones made in England and the vast majority made in China, should all have the same specifications.

There is no R16a or MKII.

Prado
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Sorry to hear that...something must be going on with your setup that's pretty unique to you. I don't think anyone here can help you figure it out.
Very few people have reported here with driver problems or problems that didn't get resolved...most have drivers and ZED's working. Yours seems to be intermittent which is even more difficult to analyze..
I would call A&H for assistance or the service center and see if you can get a replacement unit to test on your computer or someone else's known good computer to test with your ZED.

Those are the two basic variables to troubleshoot..
Is it the ZED or is it the computer....need to isolate and determine that first.
Good luck
Thanks. I have been doing some test with the dealer, and we have discovered if ANYTHING is in a PCI slot on this setup, DPC latencies spike.

Another issue we are trying to asses is I lose communication with the ZED whenever I daisy chain another firewire device through it. If I try and use my Focusrite Saffire daisy chained, even just for MIDI, it will intermittently crash.

Freelance Engineer and Producer
adambarns.com
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear interested

Error trying to synchronize audio and midi

Hey fellow slutz,

I bought the Zed R16 a few years ago, it's made in UK version. Already recorded tons of stuff successfully over the years so I know the setup/config pretty sweet.

It's just started having problems with Logic 9.1.7 when I try to record. (Running Snow Leopard). So i did a clean install on my macbook pro with Logic 9.0 and got exactly the same prob

I've attached the error message, and tried to troubleshoot the obvious thing of having the Logic project audio @ 44k, the mixers switch set to 44k and the driver software set to 44k. I can record but the error msg comes up every 3 seconds, when I stop recording, the samples are 1/5th the length and play 5 times faster.

The drivers and firmware are the latest ones (3.5.6) and the old driver was removed. The control panel sees the Zed as AOK.

When I try recording 10 tracks simultaneously with the Motu ultralite in the same project, it works fine, and I've tried 3 different firewire cables and 2 drives.

Get the feeling that the firewire chip might be fried on the zed as when I play the samples, the audio comes through the laptop speaker even though the input and output are set to the Zed in logic.

Is there anyone who can help me? Just about to start recording 2 albums. The natives are getting restless and my brain cave is hurting.

Mike from A&H... you out there mate?

adios,

Adam.

The first album was tracked and mixed on Zed: https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/walk-down/id451680232
Attached Images
File Type: png Zed error message.png (22.5 KB, 100 views)
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJ Studio View Post
Thanks. I have been doing some test with the dealer, and we have discovered if ANYTHING is in a PCI slot on this setup, DPC latencies spike.

Another issue we are trying to asses is I lose communication with the ZED whenever I daisy chain another firewire device through it. If I try and use my Focusrite Saffire daisy chained, even just for MIDI, it will intermittently crash.
Well that is good info on both counts.....it's nothing to do with the ZED or the ZED driver.

1. The ZED WILL NOT work daisy chained with any other device except for a second ZED in 32 channel mode or with ADAT.
That has been well established on here long ago.

2. If you're having problems with your PCI bus I would suspect those drivers are having a problem.
That could be a BIOS thing, chipset drivers or the PCI controller drivers.
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Gear interested

Hey, does anyone have a template for Logic Pro 9 and the ZED R16? 'cause I'm really lost.. my first board EVER (big step up from a plug n play Saffire Pro 40 interface.. or the good old toy M-Audio).. and S#|T

married, the band, guitarrist, job, drinking..

If someone could give me a hand, that would be AMAZIN.. I'd even send you a Mexican postcard from acapulco and so..

ZED R16 and Logic pro 9.. a template to guide my baby steps in the mixer/board world?

THANK YOU
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Gear interested

Nevermind.. A friend told me to press ?8 and he opened my eyes..
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Head

Send a message via Skype™ to nikmusic
I made a simple Bome's Midi Translator preset for Zed R16 with Pro Tools 10 (MAC Version) taking in account the most used shortcuts, and a little how it works the Command 8, which I had before the Zed R16, if anyone is interested you can download and use it.
I wish to understand how to use the Shift Key of the Zed in order to use it to change the key's functions.
I take the chance to ask if anybody wish to share Bome's Midi Translator setups for Pro Tools.
Attached Thumbnails
A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer-zedr16_midi.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Zed R16 Pro Tools Setup.zip (164.4 KB, 30 views)

http://soundcloud.com/nikmusic-1/rock-guitars-rock
16th October 2012
Old 16th October 2012
Gear Head

I wish to share with the community the Support Ticket I opened to Allen & Heat about the ZED R16 Midi Controller. I will let you know the answer and the eventual further developments.

Hello,
I'm a new owner of a ZED R16. It's a really fantastic tool to use with my DAW in Pro Tools 10, and I'm very happy to be an owner of this very good professional equipment. The only downside, for the time being, a thing which is a bit lacking, is the MIDI controller, I'm not very happy with that. I expected a much better organization and much more functionality of this part of the Mixer. Of course I bought and installed Bome's MIDI Translator, and installed your preset for Pro Tools 10, but it's very poor in its functions and not working well either. I tried to personalize a bit the Bome's MIDI Translator preset to get the most used functions available at the fingers tip, bearing in mind the Digidesign Command 8, which is a good and simple controller (I'm sending you a zip file with my setup to get an idea). But many other functions which could and should be implemented, I'm not able to do myself because I don't know the MIDI language and programming so deeply, I'm not a software programmer (and I suppose you don't sell people the ZED R16 with this in mind). I try to list what is not good in my opinion about the MIDI controller, starting with the worst, which would be worth to be corrected to get this wonderful equipment a really unique one, with no comparison with any other equivalent. (PS - Yes I know, there are a lot of DAWs out there and you cannot apply deeply for every one of them, but, still in my opinion, we are not talking about "one of the many DAWs..." but the most used and most spread among professionals, which would be worth to take care a bit moreā€¦).

1) The ZED R16 controller is not recognized as a Controller from Pro Tools 10, and therefore the Pan Pots cannot be used with the MIDI Learn function. Which is crucial to get a good control of the Plug-ins. The feature of MIDI Learn function in Pro Tools 10 is the one really missing in the ZED R16 Controller, and should be implemented soon.

2) The Shift Key is deactivated, doesn't do anything for the time being, would be very useful to activate it in order to get different functions from the MIDI switches and, maybe, from the MIDI Pots.

3) The Pan pots are not responsive, they have to be turned very very slowly in order to follow the Pot's DAW movements, otherwise the Pan Pot of the controller is at the end of the run were the DAW Pot is still halfway. There must be some MIDI settings to make the DAW Pots to react more speedy to the ZED R16 Pots movements.

4) Faders movements are good and smooth, but the Zero position of the DAW (Pro Tools 10) is coincident with about +5 of the ZED R16 and not the Zero position.

Thanks for your support, and I wish to congratulate again for this very amazing equipment. And I also wish to invite you to make a little step further to make it really perfect.

Regards,

Marco Niccolai
17th October 2012
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks It was a rough couple years because we bought a new house and had a baby, so a lot of gear was let go in the process to fund stuff. Part of getting the house was so I could use the basement to record, so it's really nice to finally have a permanent setup! No more location recording!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
Cozy little working spot!!! Congrats!

Working on my band's first EP. First record I've performed on since 2010
http://bit.ly/MEMOSuicideForest
17th October 2012
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

It most certainly is! Everyone who says they can't live without their 2500, I fully agree... that box IS rock and roll.

And I love the black faders... the white line on them is easier to read with the white silk screening in low light for recalls.

BTW... the walnut cheeks have gotten a lot of praise already! I hope to replace the table my Zed is on with a black one so they pop out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzush View Post
Cool! the black faders look great

As that an API 2500 on your master buss?
22nd October 2012
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear maniac

Just curious about what kind of microphones you guys are using along with this mixer.
Got any recommendations? Im thinking about condenser mics. Im gonna record acoustic guitars and o.h on drums, so i have been thinking about neumann km 184 stereo set. But is it worth the money? Is there cheaper alternatives around with same quality?
22nd October 2012
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

I am thinking about adding an R16 to my project studio because I am interested in analog summing and its EQ. I don't want to use plug ins or ITB summing. I have an RME UFX.

Those who use it for it's summing, is there any advantage to using the faders individually, or can just as good results be from keep them at 0 and modify the stem levels from the DAW? (I would do this to preserve automation. I could also later "clone" the EQ in the daw.)

Also, is it possible to use the faders as a daw mix controller, while processing 16(20) channels of audio summing? IOW, can the faders be used independently of the analog summing?

Regarding digital connectivity and clocking, the UFX has two ADAT ports, each will do 4 channels of 24/96 (among other resolutions). The plan is to route both ADAT ports to the R16, along with 8 of its analog channels. Will all of these channels be summed equally?

When run this way, can the R16 be slaved to the RME clock via ADAT? Does this influence latency stability or channel count in any way? Could I then route the resulting 2bus back to the ufx by ADAT?

How sophisticated is the digital routing of the R16? If I wanted to track with the A&H preamps, but use the UFX as (essentially) an FX processsor over ADAT, could I do this? IOW, can I assign the ADAT digital I/O to aux send and returns (or as channel inserts)?

Are there any hardware inserts? Are they assignable or fixed to channel or dedicated busses?

Any help appreciated.
22nd October 2012
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreChris View Post
I am thinking about adding an R16 to my project studio because I am interested in analog summing and its EQ. I don't want to use plug ins or ITB summing. I have an RME UFX.

Those who use it for it's summing, is there any advantage to using the faders individually, or can just as good results be from keep them at 0 and modify the stem levels from the DAW? (I would do this to preserve automation. I could also later "clone" the EQ in the daw.)

Also, is it possible to use the faders as a daw mix controller, while processing 16(20) channels of audio summing? IOW, can the faders be used independently of the analog summing?

Regarding digital connectivity and clocking, the UFX has two ADAT ports, each will do 4 channels of 24/96 (among other resolutions). The plan is to route both ADAT ports to the R16, along with 8 of its analog channels. Will all of these channels be summed equally?

When run this way, can the R16 be slaved to the RME clock via ADAT? Does this influence latency stability or channel count in any way? Could I then route the resulting 2bus back to the ufx by ADAT?

How sophisticated is the digital routing of the R16? If I wanted to track with the A&H preamps, but use the UFX as (essentially) an FX processsor over ADAT, could I do this? IOW, can I assign the ADAT digital I/O to aux send and returns (or as channel inserts)?

Are there any hardware inserts? Are they assignable or fixed to channel or dedicated busses?

Any help appreciated.
If you select Dig RET Pre-INS and FADER=MIDI at the same time it will set the channel to unity while allowing you to assign the fader to your DAW using it's MIDI learn function. This way you can sum through the channel and use the EQ and insert while keeping a bit more control and recall inside your DAW.

So far I've successfully assigned the MIDI controls in Logic, Reaper and Studio One (although Studio One doesn't respond to the buttons note on/off info). If you're using Pro Tools it's a bit more of a hassle.
22nd October 2012
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNiMaL ChIcKeN View Post
If you select Dig RET Pre-INS and FADER=MIDI at the same time it will set the channel to unity while allowing you to assign the fader to your DAW using it's MIDI learn function. This way you can sum through the channel and use the EQ and insert while keeping a bit more control and recall inside your DAW.

So far I've successfully assigned the MIDI controls in Logic, Reaper and Studio One (although Studio One doesn't respond to the buttons note on/off info). If you're using Pro Tools it's a bit more of a hassle.
Thanks, I am pleasantly surprised it can do that.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

NEw version of ZED-r16 coming?

Hi folks,

I've been looking at the ZED-r16 now for quite a while, and am now thinking about getting one end of this month, so I was wondering if anybody has heard any rumors about an upgraded/mkII/V2-version coming soon (winter NAMM...?) , so I dont get the last one of the V1 just before a newer is out... the r16 has now been out quite some time...

thanks for any hint,
Mark
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear interested

and has anybody sucessfully connected the ZED-r16 via Midi Cable to a DAW when in ADAT mode?
I read it should be possible, but up to now I haven't heard of any sucess...anybody?

thx, mark
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Head

Yes, I did. I use the ZED R16 with ADATs connected to a Fireface 800 and with the MIDI Out connected to PRO TOOLS 10.
And it's working fine. Except the limitation of the Bome's MIDI Translator Preset which is quite basic in its functions, but it works anyhow. Which DAW do you use?

I've started a new thread for Zed R16 + Pro Tools to get all this things out and talk about functionality with this DAW:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ools-10-a.html
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear interested

Wow, thx. That's great info... Actually I use Ableton live, but am thinking about switching to pro tools for recording & mix down; still not sure if I understand all that stuff that's inside pro tools, have only used it once and was overwhelmed by all its options; will have a look at the other thread;

I am not sure if Ableton understands the control midi from the zed right away, but as its MMC it should be somehow possible to connect them together;
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Head

As far as I know Ableton works well with the Zed R16 MIDI controller, and I think you shouldn't need any additional software as Bome's to control it from the Zed R16 controller.

The Zed R16 is a really good piece of hardware, plenty of opportunities to use it, live, recording, mastering, very good Eqs and Pres quality, I'm very happy to have it, even if at A&H could do something to get more out of it with one of the most used by professional Daw's: Pro Tools.

Anyway if you wish to know a bit better Pro Tools go here:
Pro Tools Tips, Tricks & More... - Pro Tools Expert Blog

You can find a lot of useful infos, and PT is very intuitive anyway.

Cheers
Marco
SDC
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
SDC
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokkinger View Post
Hi folks,

I've been looking at the ZED-r16 now for quite a while, and am now thinking about getting one end of this month, so I was wondering if anybody has heard any rumors about an upgraded/mkII/V2-version coming soon (winter NAMM...?) , so I dont get the last one of the V1 just before a newer is out... the r16 has now been out quite some time...

thanks for any hint,
Mark
Interested to know aswell, so, BUMP!
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Gear maniac

Home made stereo bus?

Does this make sense?

Aux 1 and 2 sent out to L & R in of FX Hardware. Return FX to Mixer Stereo 1 L and R.

Dial your stereo pan using either Aux 1 or 2 per channel.

Season with Stereo In level ... make sure you are not sending to AUX 1 or 2 to avoid feedback loop.

Prado
27th October 2012
Old 27th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by prado escondido View Post
Home made stereo bus?

Does this make sense?

Aux 1 and 2 sent out to L & R in of FX Hardware. Return FX to Mixer Stereo 1 L and R.

Dial your stereo pan using either Aux 1 or 2 per channel.

Season with Stereo In level ... make sure you are not sending to AUX 1 or 2 to avoid feedback loop.

Prado
as AUX 1 + 2 are PreFade its not really great for FX. but you could do this with AUX 3 + 4 (actually thats what they are for...)
27th October 2012
Old 27th October 2012
Gear maniac

Not great because send doesn't stay in relative proportion to channel fader level?

Anyway ... I guess Aux 3 & 4 will do and one stereo bus is better than none.

Prado
27th October 2012
Old 27th October 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
a band I am currently recording has a AH fw mixer.

great desk. they record themself in rehearsal space thats why I brought my own preamps/miks and hooked up my mytek AD converter with adat and we were up and running in 15 minutes.
clocking with adat. no WCavailable.

cheers

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Not great because send doesn't stay in relative proportion to channel fader level?

Anyway ... I guess Aux 3 & 4 will do and one stereo bus is better than none.

Prado
I think you could use the Aux 1 and 2 for bus compression, as the Mute switch affects also the Aux Bus, so you can leave the channel faders for these tracks down and mix the bus tracks with the Mute buttons and the Aux send instead... that way you could also add some dry signal for parallel compression..?
but I'd really prefer 4 post-fade Aux busses. well, anyway, I just ordered my ZED-r16 today!!
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokkinger View Post
I think you could use the Aux 1 and 2 for bus compression, as the Mute switch affects also the Aux Bus, so you can leave the channel faders for these tracks down and mix the bus tracks with the Mute buttons and the Aux send instead... that way you could also add some dry signal for parallel compression..?
but I'd really prefer 4 post-fade Aux busses. well, anyway, I just ordered my ZED-r16 today!!
You can open up the mixer and change the jumpers to make both Aux buss's (1-4) pre or post fader. So you can have the same 4 buss setup.
The default setting was to give you the 2 different options.
See Page 16 of the manual under item 13.
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
You can open up the mixer and change the jumpers to make both Aux buss's (1-4) pre or post fader. So you can have the same 4 buss setup.
The default setting was to give you the 2 different options.
See Page 16 of the manual under item 13.
Have you done this ... or heard from anyone who has?

I'm wondering how difficult it would be.

Prado
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Have you done this ... or heard from anyone who has?

I'm wondering how difficult it would be.

Prado
Nope.
It says in the manual that it is difficult because you have to remove each channel strip to get to the link jumpers.
Which would mean removing all the knobs and pulling each channel strip out of the mixer.
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Nope.
It says in the manual that it is difficult because you have to remove each channel strip to get to the link jumpers.
Which would mean removing all the knobs and pulling each channel strip out of the mixer.
Yes, I've read this.

And must suspect the manual is not given to hyperbole.

Prado
30th October 2012
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Yes, I've read this.

And must suspect the manual is not given to hyperbole.

Prado
Yeah but it's certainly not impossible....
I'm pretty sure you have to remove all the knobs and sliders, remove the nuts & washers from each pot, remove the main front dress panel. Each channel card will be exposed then and can be disconnected from the card edge buss at the back. The jumper traces to change are going to be on each channel board and you probably have to pull each channel card out in order to get to it for soldering. They should be near the Aux pots on the circuit board. I think I saw a photo of the jumpers locations somewhere.
Also I think A&H might even have an instruction and photo document you could request.
And I seem to remember it's something you can't do from the backside. There's no way you could successfully solder anything from there without melting something else in the process...

A couple of interesting things you could do if you went to the trouble of all that work for a mod:
You could solder a wire harness to each jumper trace point and bring it out of the back of the mixer!
I think you would need 4 wires per channel and then remove any existing jumpers.

Then have a SPST switch or even a bank of DIP switches connected to each pair of contact points mounted in a separate panel or box.
Then you could configure any combination you like for any channel you want. That would be really handy! You could probably sell it as a mod!

It would be very smart to find a nice clean space with a workbench or table and take your time, mark everything before disconnecting and carefully disassemble.
It would definitely take you several hours!
If anyone does do this please take lots of photos!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search