New Reply
Subscribe
15th December 2011
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross H View Post
The only thing on the FW buss is the Zed. No communication loss happening once the control panel loads and recognizes the Zed. Its on start up when I am firing all hardware and computer up for the first time that it doesn't see the Zed and I get the device not found error. Boot and reboot a few times, sometimes once, sometimes several times and the computer finally sees the Zed.

The Zed is FW 400 and the MacPro only has 800 so I am leaning towards some failure at boot up with the cable or the adapter that makes it 400 to 800. Its not a mini FW for a laptop.

Thanks for the response. I agree the cable is the first thing to replace.

Ross
Maybe someone who knows more about the Mac can help...
15th December 2011
Old 15th December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross H View Post
The only thing on the FW buss is the Zed. No communication loss happening once the control panel loads and recognizes the Zed. Its on start up when I am firing all hardware and computer up for the first time that it doesn't see the Zed and I get the device not found error. Boot and reboot a few times, sometimes once, sometimes several times and the computer finally sees the Zed.

The Zed is FW 400 and the MacPro only has 800 so I am leaning towards some failure at boot up with the cable or the adapter that makes it 400 to 800. Its not a mini FW for a laptop.

Thanks for the response. I agree the cable is the first thing to replace.

Ross
Check the FW card in the zed and make sure it's the fixed version.... I don't have a R16, but have been paying close attention to this thread and it seems most people who complain about FW connectivity issues have a board with the old FW card in it. It can be jumper'd to function correctly. Search this thread for more info....

I don't see the fw400/800 cable as being a problem.
16th December 2011
Old 16th December 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Just thinking out loud on this Shift key but it needs to be in a Toggle mode first (press =on, press =off) in order to change any other key(s) function (normal function = shift off) to a different "shifted" function (shift =1). So in order for any specific button to have a "shift" attribute each button you want to respond to the shift button would have to check for "shift on" or "shift off" first.
If that makes sense.....
I believe any button can have multiple MIDI messages or operate a test check condition before it actually transmits it's programmed MIDI message. So the button would check for shift=0 or shift=1 and then operate one of two different functions based on that check.
But you would have to program each key(s) you want a shift function to perform on with that condition modifier added and have it in front of the actual MIDI transmit code. It's one of those If, then, else syntax.
If there is a function button on the ZED that already does work with shift, go into that buttons MIDI message code and look for the shift modifier and copy that part to the front of the buttons MIDI message.
You would expect the Shift to do nothing on its own i.e. not transmit MIDI. However it does - I use it to cancel all solos.

I will look at your suggestions more carefully & if I learn anything I'll post it. Thanks djmukilteo for giving your thoughts.
16th December 2011
Old 16th December 2011
Gear interested

conductor type

Hi all,
quick question.
Does the console allow for connection using the 6 conductor plug cable on both sides?
Before on my laptop i was using a 4/6 conductor cable.
But on my new desktop which has a 6 type connection, i hooked it up with 6/6 cable. So far nothing happening.
Any clue?

greets!

(ps. talking firewire cable ofcourse)
17th December 2011
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG70 View Post
Hi all,
quick question.
Does the console allow for connection using the 6 conductor plug cable on both sides?
But on my new desktop which has a 6 type connection, i hooked it up with 6/6 cable. So far nothing happening.
Any clue?

greets!

The 6 pin FW cable that comes with the ZED is the correct cable. Both ends!
Whats not happening so far? Need a little more info?
17th December 2011
Old 17th December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrich View Post
Installed my new Zed-r16 last week, replacing a Yammie 01v96.

The monitor section is really cool. You can send auxes or the mix to the artists phones or a combination. I was able to send the main mix to the vocalist PLUS aux 1 so his mix was the same as mine except he had extra vocal level sent from the vocal input channel using aux 1 (with no latency). This made it really quick to get a mix for him. I also had a Drawmer 1968me on the 2 bus while tracking the vocal (with no latency) so the track was pumping a bit with his vocal. He loved the sound and it really helped him get a good vocal down.
Can you explain this a little more please? Are you feeding a headphone amp from one of the STUDIO MONITOR FEEDS?
19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG70 View Post
Hi all,
quick question.
Any clue?

greets!

I have found the R16 to be very tolerant of FW cards so it may be that yours a faulty or that you need a card with the correct socket. The other post saying to use the same as the R16 was supplied with seems like good advice to me. Also -

This fooled me initially and may be your problem

There is a selector switch on the ZED back panel to choose FW or lightpipe (I think). Make sure the FW is selected. This selection is only recognised when the mixer is powered-up. You may just have changed this accidentally when plugging & unplugging. Prob not but just a thought.
19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by clitheroekid1001 View Post
I have found the R16 to be very tolerant of FW cards so it may be that yours a faulty or that you need a card with the correct socket. The other post saying to use the same as the R16 was supplied with seems like good advice to me. Also -

This fooled me initially and may be your problem

There is a selector switch on the ZED back panel to choose FW or lightpipe (I think). Make sure the FW is selected. This selection is only recognised when the mixer is powered-up. You may just have changed this accidentally when plugging & unplugging. Prob not but just a thought.
Good call...a lot of FW questions not working can be as simple as that selector switch!
So check that first then check your cable.
Then do the FW compatibility checker in the ZED driver dialog box. That will tell you if your FW port is communicating properly between the ZED and your computer.
If all that is OK...then check for that FW grounding issue that was a problem with the early Chinese made boards...
That grounding issue would cause loss of communication with the computer due to intermittent glitches on the ground buss.

Of course you also need to check that the ZED driver installed correctly and is actually running.
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_r_i_x View Post
I'll do my best to get it to a tech here asap. and in the worst case scenario send it back for repairs/warranty.

I would've assumed there was some sort of electronic protection, and that the vu-meter and the sig leds were there to show if there was too much signal coming in... i feel really stupid. The board really is brand new, but as you said lesson learned.

I still don't understand how it could've worked for so long without any problem and all of a sudden blow though... I did blow other electronics devices in the past due to bad voltage / wrong impedance and the likes, and that was a very immediate breakdown.

I'll get in touch with a&h tomorrow first thing.
Hi d_r_i_x,

If you let me have your details via a pm, I will try to help.

Cheers,
Mike.
+44 (0)1326 377097
w: www.allen-heath.com
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilla View Post
well, i tried this mixer when this thread first started. at the time PT wouldn't allow me to use it directly with it, so I resorted to Logic for my production - hence 2 different set ups. Drove me crazy because I wanted my ZED to be used for both set ups.

long story short, the faders weren't to my liking. don't really care about a meter bridge, although the aesthetics would be very nice .

Mike, I know you took the suggestions and requests from earlier in this thread, but I'm praying there's another model coming out soon. I have found myself going back and forth about purchasing another one of these since Avid has opened up PT to all interfaces. but I know I'd still want a 100mm fader of some sort (and I don't want the USB models btw).

note: i'm sure Mike can't just tell me a date, but just know I'm looking forward to it.

sincerely,
me.
Hi Shilla,

Thanks for the request - I'll mention it to my boss....

Cheers,
Mike.
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Head

Send a message via ICQ to TromboneRocker76 Send a message via AIM to TromboneRocker76
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaudio View Post
Check the FW card in the zed and make sure it's the fixed version.... I don't have a R16, but have been paying close attention to this thread and it seems most people who complain about FW connectivity issues have a board with the old FW card in it. It can be jumper'd to function correctly. Search this thread for more info....

I don't see the fw400/800 cable as being a problem.
I was having the same issue for a long time, but I had an external drive going into my computer (iMac FW800 port), then daisychained my board to the HD....

After getting some tips from folks here, I got a new 400 to 800 cable, so I got the mixer in first, then my HD daisyed to that... no problems since.. i've done some great mixdowns and even a full band recording session!
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
mixingtable.com

Side Cheeks

Attached Thumbnails
A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer-r16-side-angle-2.jpg  
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Very nice.
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Gear maniac

Oh whoa! those rule! I'm definitely going to order those!
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Gear maniac

Very very nice wood panel mate, i'm in the uk how much will it take to sned over also can you do a custom casing to give it patchbay slots
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
Hi Shilla,

Thanks for the request - I'll mention it to my boss....

Cheers,
Mike.
PM sent.
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Does anyone know how to monitor the Digital return channels (17-18) from a DAW and the PFLs of channels (1-16) at the same time? It seems to be one or the other for me and I like to work with headphones at night.

For now I've just been routing Logic to 15-16 when I need to, but this kills two channels so I'd rather use the return.
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzush View Post
Hi guys, just a heads up that if you want to order some nice wooden side cheeks for your R16, you can do so here...

Allen & Heath Zed R16 wooden side cheeks

Cheers, Pete
Those are really nice....
Is there anyone in the US making these...
It looks like those are priced in Euro's and shipping would be expensive
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
mixingtable.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi882 View Post
Very very nice wood panel mate, i'm in the uk how much will it take to sned over also can you do a custom casing to give it patchbay slots
PM sent.
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
mixingtable.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Those are really nice....
Is there anyone in the US making these...
It looks like those are priced in Euro's and shipping would be expensive
Hi, postage to the states with insurance and tracking would cost $17.
Postage to the UK would be £14.

cheers, Pete
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I can't get the link to open either on my PC laptop or my ipad, is the site down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzush View Post
Hi, postage to the states with insurance and tracking would cost $17.
Postage to the UK would be £14.

cheers, Pete
Portland, OR
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
mixingtable.com

Hi, seems to be working fine here.
23rd December 2011
Old 23rd December 2011
mixingtable.com

15% discount on zed r16 side panels until new year!

Hi guys,

we''ve had a lot of interest from all over the web about the side panels, but especially from gearslutz users, so to celebrate we're going to give every registered gearslutz member who orders before 1 Jan 2012 a 15% discount on the wooden side panels!

Just PM me with your order before 1 Jan and I'll sort you out.

(all members who ordered since I posted here will automatically qualify for the discount!)

Happy mixmass ! Pete

Allen & Heath Zed R16 wooden side cheeks
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
Lives for gear

1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
Gear interested

Hi all! I'm a brand new Gearslutz forum member and I've been following the various threads about the A&H Zed16R mixer, particularly the one discussing its use with Protools >
Allan and Heath ZED R16 and Pro Tools 9

I've never been interested in chasing around 'pots' and 'faders' on a computer monitor and the Zed seems to be a great alternative, providing tangible hardware to interact with, along with the benefit of the lauded pre-amps and EQ.

So, my question: I'm resolved to the reality that all the computer based recording hardware and software won't always play nicely with one another (as I've witnessed in this and the other thread I referenced). Will there be an 'updated' version of the Zed16R introduced at the NAMM show this month, addressing many of the issues brought up here and in the other thread?

I'm really looking to get into this mixer, but I want to be cautious as I plop down well over 2 grand, and want the most up to date offering.
Thanks!
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
attachment didnt go through, here:

Windows 7 not seeing / installing Asio Driver for my audio interface / ZED R16 thread here:

Windows 7 not seeing / installing Asio Driver for my audio interface / ZED R16

Here's what I see in the DICE panel. Snippet attached

EDIT: GS won't let the attachment go through, but it's in the thread above.

Thanks
asdfdsa
Did you ever get your computer to load the driver?
The DICE panel still shows nothing installed or recognized?
If still nothing, it's obvious your computer has something that is not compatible.
Check each component and if you still can't find the problem I would contact A&H support....or list your exact system here and maybe we can figure it out!
2nd January 2012
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear interested

Just got my Zed R16 and love the sound and features... still testing everything but this machine sounds great!

Is there a way to record the signal after the fader level (to be able to record the total mixdown?)

Now to record a whole mixdown into my DAW (Cubase) and place it back on 17/18 I have to set all the volumes again.

I understand that it records the preamp level to replace the analog signal.
2nd January 2012
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear nut

Pro tools 10

Hello,
I have problems to get pro tools 10 to see the Zed r16. I am a little new to Pro tools, so please is there anyone that can tell me how to get this working? When i try to start pro tools, I get a pop up saying "Could not create a new document because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value"

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Gear nut

Hi I'm also looking at the R16 - been following this thread with interest 4 a couple of months.

I would also like to know if anyone knows about an upcoming update to the R16?

Cheers
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Gear maniac

2) The MIDI fader controllers can be assigned to any MIDI controlled parameter in your DAW, if the DAW allows that (most of them do have either a learn feature or parameter assign section), so yes they can be assigned to any track fader. Also, if the DAW allows, you can assign a bank of MIDI faders and step the bank along your track list.

If this is easily possible, could someone please post a 'How to link" so that I might setup my ZED-R to achieve this function without the purchase of the BOME or will that be a necessity? I am using both Ableton Live 8 and Protools and could never set my ZED-R up to achieve this function, sadly In Protools. I have not tried Ableton, yet. I got so far as to being instructed to use BOMES Midi translator and pretty much gave up when I could not find a template for it.......I then found this link, so perhaps we are halfway there at this point?
A&H Zed R16 Firewire Mixer

I have a Project Mix IO that works pretty good thus far so I have taken the lazy mans route. Still, I would love to work everything off the ZED if possible.
Cheers
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search