New Reply
Subscribe
woodfoot
12th May 2008
Old 12th May 2008
Lives for gear

Urei 565 [Little Dipper] thoughts?

Anyone got one?

I've had one for a few years and I don't really use it. Does anyone else have one? I'm interested to see what other people are using it for and if anyone has any tips or tricks.

Feel like its being wasted just sat in the rack and for what I'd get for it on the second hand market, there's not really any point in selling it.

Plus it looks cool
Dan
12th May 2008
Old 12th May 2008
Dan
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Dan
go to for "telephone EQ" ?
woodfoot
12th May 2008
Old 12th May 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah I did use it for that a while back and it was pretty cool. The only problem is, its only once in a while I need that effect. Do you have one?
Dan
12th May 2008
Old 12th May 2008
Dan
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Dan
yeah, similar situation. Actually, I'm having a harder and harder time using any outboard EQ.
12th May 2008
Old 12th May 2008
Gear nut

Ah yes, I remember that unit well. The 565T was the one to get. I owned several of them and only used them a couple of times. The best use was for removing a real bad resonance from a snare drum that totally stood out within a mix, in a bad way . That was a very surgical notch/peak filter if I remember correctly. The frequency adjust wheel was good for doing notched or peaked sweeps manually too if you set it up right. If you are only analog and need that capability someday - keep it. For telephone sound we use the pultec HLF3. Either way the UREI 565 was a useful piece in the analog domain. Cheers! PH
woodfoot
13th May 2008
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hammond View Post
Ah yes, I remember that unit well. The 565T was the one to get. I owned several of them and only used them a couple of times. The best use was for removing a real bad resonance from a snare drum that totally stood out within a mix, in a bad way.
I will have to try that one. I've been asked to mix a track for a band and the rough mixes have a really ringy snare. I did a similar thing with a sub which was a bit excessive and taking up too much headroom. It calmed it down a bit so I could get it where I want it in the mix. What's the difference between the normal and the "T" version?
13th May 2008
Old 13th May 2008
Gear nut

The "T" model was transformer in and out, had a little more of that "Universal Audio" punch and coloration. That was definitely a high quality unit. We would find the exact resonance by putting it in peak mode then sweeping it around the offending frequency until it really stood out, then put it in notch mode and the offending frequency would be tamed. Of course you want to adjust the amount so you don't take all the character out of the sound. Just enough to make it work, Good Luck! PH
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search