New Reply
Subscribe
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to manthe Send a message via Yahoo to manthe
Real Roland RE-201 Space Echo vs BOSS COSM and UAD-1

I am a Roland Space Echo nut! I love the the sounds that box can make. I have not touched a real one in almost 15 years. It belonged to a friend and I used to mess with it with guitars and keys.

Fast forward to now. Fond memories of that unit lead me to buying the UAD-1 Space Echo plug, and, eventually the BOSS COSM 'stomp-box' version. This had more to do with local availability and partly to do with finances. This is one of those things I will only buy locally, after testing.

Well, i found one. It looks great in pictures and the owner says it is flawless. i get to test it tomorrow and if all goes well, I have the funds to take it home. I am excited, but there is a strange little 'practical' voice asking the question: How much better is it than these other 2 'versions' that I already have?

Any one out there have the opportunity to compare 1 or both to the real deal?

Thanks!

Moonface, LLC
-------------------------
Moonface Records | Studio | Publishing

| My Web Site |

| My Equipment List |
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

I used to have an re-501 and can say that no certainly no analog echo, let alone stomp box, let alone plugin can come close to the real thing. I like the UAD plugin, but no way...It's funny, cause a lot of the times its the older guys obsessed with the plugins and the younger guys like me obsessed with the older gear.
Today, I paid $600 for an re-201 and if it arrives in good shape, I'm considering this an incredible deal. For me, it is absolutely worth the money, because it will add character to every single sound I run through it. ahhh...I'm in love seriously.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

maybe my RE-301 sucked (which by all accounts it didn't),
but I sold it after playing with the Boss RE-20.
For my usage, the Boss was close enough, and I don't like most other Boss stuff.
Ideally though, if I had a mint mint mint real space echo, then yeah I'd probably prefer it, but for reasonable prices, all i could find were lo-fi indie hipsters selling them on craigslist tell me how freaking 'warm' these things sounded.
In other words, for me the Boss is close enough.
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Well, the one I'm presumably buying tomorrow is perfectly mint. I have 6 hi-res pics and it looks impeccable! It also has a new tape, comes with extra tape and has recently been serviced.

I won't disclose the price I'm paying because I don't want to make any one openly weep!

This thread is mostly academic for me. I know myself WAAAAY to well to think for a split second that I won't buy this thing tomorrow! I am a sucker for 'vintage' FX and gear anyhow. Even more-so when it comes to an item I've lusted after and revered for as long as I can remember!
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

wait a second...please tell me your price isn't $475
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstu102 View Post
wait a second...please tell me your price isn't $475
Someone saw my location and looked at CL!
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

nice grab !!!! I would of grabbed that if I new of it.
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Well, apparently some very unethical person came in and stole the deal from me!

What comes around, goes around.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to weemies Send a message via MSN to weemies
I have never tried the real Roland unit, so that might invalidate my opinion for some people, but I LOVE the Boss RE-20 pedal.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

no, man. The reason I asked if it was the one was $475 was because I had made a deal with that guy already, before you'd even emailed him (this is what he told me when I saw what you wrote on the forum). I thought you'd stolen my deal!
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

LOL @ the hidden lessons to be learned in this thread!
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
no, man. The reason I asked if it was the one was $475 was because I had made a deal with that guy already, before you'd even emailed him (this is what he told me when I saw what you wrote on the forum). I thought you'd stolen my deal!
Read your first post and tell me what's wrong with this picture...
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

what are you talking about? I'm paying over the $475 for him to send it up to NY. And then you posted saying you were going to buy it today, so I thought I was either being ripped off, or he decided to go with you over me.
But then I talked to him via email and he said you wrote him an email with your contact info, but he didn't have a chance to reply until after he'd made the deal with me. It sucks man, i'm sorry.
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
what are you talking about? I'm paying over the $475 for him to send it up to NY. And then you posted saying you were going to buy it today, so I thought I was either being ripped off, or he decided to go with you over me.
But then I talked to him via email and he said you wrote him an email with your contact info, but he didn't have a chance to reply until after he'd made the deal with me. It sucks man, i'm sorry.
What??

In your first post you said you paid $600 for one. Where is that one?

Secondly - I had a several mail, email conversation with this guy where he even set up a place to meet today and let me hear it and buy it. I confirmed 100% with him that I'd have the cash in hand and buy it for certain. You're saying that, from NY, you somehow found this thing in Orlando, on CL and struck a deal with this guy before me, even though I caught the deal fairly early on and emailed him.

Why was he so quick to respond when I first emailed him and say:

"Mike -
It is still available...."

Among other details, including where and when we'd meet, etc.?

This whole thing is coming off pretty strange to me.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm simply stringing together all of the facts and how the scenario played out, and some things just aren't adding up.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear nut

i would consider it a lesson learned... when i found a TC Electronic 1210 Chorus unit for $350 on CL, i didnt go running on boards bragging about my find... until AFTER i bought it
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

i always search craigslist on google when i want something. found re-201's all over the country, emailed people. told this guy i'd paypal him $600 to make it worth his while, because he'd written pickup only in the post. he agreed. that's when i wrote the first post. then you responded saying you too were buying one, saw that you were from fl and prayed it wasn't the same one I thought I was buying. but it was. this would've happened without even being discussed on the forum.
first email i sent him was 8:02 pm yesterday, then i posted on here at 9:41 yesterday, then you posted about your deal at 9:51. I'm just saying, i don't snipe people's deals, that's ****ed. And why would I post on here saying I was getting one first, and then snipe your deal...that doesn't make sense.
The only thing that isn't adding up is your conversation with the guy. How do you not get what happened on my end--I'm paying over $475, ie. $600, for the same space echo. I'm sorry he cancelled the deal with you.
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

I emailed him yesterday MORNING (11:23AM)! We agreed on everything yesterday MORNING! You DID steal my deal. Thanks! You've ruined my weekend and more. I've wanted one of these for 20 years and I finally thought I had it.

Just goes to show...

Quote:
i always search craigslist on google when i want something. found re-201's all over the country, emailed people. told this guy i'd paypal him $600 to make it worth his while, because he'd written pickup only in the post. he agreed. that's when i wrote the first post. then you responded saying you too were buying one, saw that you were from fl and prayed it wasn't the same one I thought I was buying. but it was. this would've happened without even being discussed on the forum.
first email i sent him was 8:02 pm yesterday, then i posted on here at 9:41 yesterday, then you posted about your deal at 9:51. I'm just saying, i don't snipe people's deals, that's ****ed. And why would I post on here saying I was getting one first, and then snipe your deal...that doesn't make sense.
The only thing that isn't adding up is your conversation with the guy. How do you not get what happened on my end--I'm paying over $475, ie. $600, for the same space echo. I'm sorry he cancelled the deal with you.
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Please reconsider what you've done and do the right thing!
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

I should add, it seems to be his fault, not yours. He is the one that let you have it, unless he told you he had a deal and you offered more in an attempt to get him to rescind.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

dude, i had no idea and for the third time, i'm sorry. seriously. all i know is that i emailed some guy last night about sending me an re-201 and he said we had a deal. seriously, whatever else happened is none of my business and doesn't involve me in the slightest. the only reason it seems to involve me is because we both posted here, excited about getting what turned out to be the exact same space echo! its just crazy. When i said "please don't tell me its the one going for $475" i meant, please don't tell me its the same one I thought i was getting. the reason i didn't say that is because I thought you'd just go offer him $600 cash and he'd take your deal...

Hearing this, I don't really trust this guy (even though he does have 1000+ feedback) and i feel shitty that I unknowingly stole this deal from you. When he calls me i'm gonna tell him to honor your original deal. **** it, it's all good. I could use the 6 hundy anyways...
But just so you know, i never intended on anything like this happening. I mean, this sucks, i thought i was getting an re-201 too...
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

You're an honorable person. I hope he heeds! That is why I posted above that I really didn't feel like it was your fault. He is the one that took your deal. You had no way of knowing that I contacted him. I gave that impression and I'm sorry. I was/am just pissed, as you can understand.

I am a little leery of him now too. At least he is local and I can go physically touch and hear it before I hand over cash. The problem is, I hope he is willing to face me.

I have been very polite with him via email and asked him to please honor the deal he made earlier. He has not responded. I hope he does soon. I want this so bad its ridiculous. I've tried to buy one 3 times now and something always goes wrong. I really thought I finally had one.

I appreciate your honesty and candor. I'm glad to know that there are more people like us than him!

Quote:
dude, i had no idea and for the third time, i'm sorry. seriously. all i know is that i emailed some guy last night about sending me an re-201 and he said we had a deal. seriously, whatever else happened is none of my business and doesn't involve me in the slightest. the only reason it seems to involve me is because we both posted here, excited about getting what turned out to be the exact same space echo! its just crazy. When i said "please don't tell me its the one going for $475" i meant, please don't tell me its the same one I thought i was getting. the reason i didn't say that is because I thought you'd just go offer him $600 cash and he'd take your deal...

Hearing this, I don't really trust this guy (even though he does have 1000+ feedback) and i feel shitty that I unknowingly stole this deal from you. When he calls me i'm gonna tell him to honor your original deal. **** it, it's all good. I could use the 6 hundy anyways...
But just so you know, i never intended on anything like this happening. I mean, this sucks, i thought i was getting an re-201 too...
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear maniac

I paid $250 for a RE-150 about two years ago. The owner said something was wrong with it because it was all gritty and lo fi sounding.

no plug or digital delay can touch it. some sound good, like the line 6 delay pro, but nothing like the real deal.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

No doubt, man. Now, on my end, do you want me to tell him to honor your deal? I don't wanna **** this up for you, so should I even say anything about you?
Good Luck and let me know how it is if you do get it, which I think you will
peace
manthe
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

I would sincerely appreciate it if you did mention me. You're welcome to say anything you like, but I would hope that it might make him more inclined to dealing with me if you vouch for it!!

This is a stand-up thing you're doing and I'm trying to think of a way to show my appreciation for it!

Quote:
No doubt, man. Now, on my end, do you want me to tell him to honor your deal? I don't wanna **** this up for you, so should I even say anything about you?
Good Luck and let me know how it is if you do get it, which I think you will
peace
4th May 2008
Old 4th May 2008
Lives for gear

so what happened with it? The dude called me and I told him I wasn't in a position to buy it and that he should honor the original deal he made (without going into too much detail). so...what happened?
4th May 2008
Old 4th May 2008
Lives for gear

this is certainly a hilarious thread!
4th May 2008
Old 4th May 2008
Lives for gear

Wow!

What a warped story (neither of you are to blame, but sketchy seller indeed!).... just goes to show not to post bragging rights until you actually OWN it... I feel it safe to share I bought my RE-201 over a year ago for under $100, had a few small quirks and scratchy pots, but nothing I couldn't fix.

Matt
www.ashtonaudio.com
4th May 2008
Old 4th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matta View Post
I feel it safe to share I bought my RE-201 over a year ago for under $100
Bastard!
5th May 2008
Old 5th May 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I hope things went smoothly.

I would also like to share with you guys that Radiohead uses the Boss version of the Spaceverb, so I hope that holds some meat.
5th May 2008
Old 5th May 2008
Gear Guru

Ice in her eyes, frozen tears could never be a surprise
You can't erase a dream you can only wake me up
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search