Is this bassline boring?
New Reply
Subscribe
primemeat64
25th April 2008
Old 25th April 2008
Gear addict

Is this bassline boring?

So I'm probably just paranoid... I've got a bit of a complex about bass...I get that some song's it sounds good just to fill the low end - some songs it's important to reinforce the melody etc - sometimes it's nice for the bass to do it's own thing (if there's room to)...

Here's a real simple song I'm working on and as I'm not much of a bassist, I wanted a couple of opinions - is it too boring or do you think once the whole song is tracked it'll be cool? - Obviously it might be a bit difficult to tell with just guitar + bass on there at the moment...

SoundClick artist: Bromley By Bow - Just solo stuff for the next couple of months...

Not sure if uploads are working (gave up after 10 mins) - so I've used soundclick....
25th April 2008
Old 25th April 2008
Gear addict

Sounds like it fits the part fine.

I know that notes aren't the most important. You can be a bit more adventurous with your note choices instead of the roots of the chords all the time.

It's all in the context of what you're going to put on top.
All other instruments than voice are supporting. Stick a vocal melody on the top of the guitar. Then see what space you have left for bass cleverness.
Arrangement.

Playing a bit tighter will help.

But really... you have to stick some melody on top. Too early in the game.
You can always change EVERYTHING later.

Sound fine though. This is art. Subjective.
Vum
25th April 2008
Old 25th April 2008
Vum
Lives for gear

"We are the village green..."

Sounds like you've stumbled on to the Kinks "Picture Book" which is a great place to be if you ask me.

As a bassist I'd have to agree with the previous post - step out of the I-V box and stretch your legs (fingers) a bit. Grace notes and the "up of 4" are great places to audition experiments on the bass.

keep us posted, i really like to hear the progression.
primemeat64
25th April 2008
Old 25th April 2008
Gear addict

Somtimes I go a bit mental with my basslines then I worry I've gone too far and it's distracting... it's a fine line I feel - hence being reserved with this song... yeah I'll post updates as I add / change things
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search