chameleon labs compressor? any sparkle ?
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

chameleon labs compressor? any sparkle ?

hi, i was wondering if any users could tell me what this product is like. i would use it on a 2-buss for mastering, and probablly on mono for mixing. I own the isitope ozone mastering plugs and the ssl 4000 series plugs, can i benefit from this piece. any "fairy dust" vibe running through the unit. Ozone seems to pack some punch and "air", just needing to know what the 7702 would bring to the mix. I,m trying to get more outboard gear for vibe, i know the unit is clean and transparent, but is seems nice for the price. again, if it's not going to give me some type of "sweet" factor beyond the pluggs i have, i'll try something else. thanks a bunch.
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Hey

There is a recent post on this exact issue

It seemed to be the consensus that people were not that impressed with it on the 2buss and were mostly liking it for some parallel compression or drum buss compression. I believe it was Pedler that was having noise issues with his unit. look for the thread there is some great info on this compressor.

Beers
Rob
Old 23rd April 2008
People seem to like it on drum buss. Do a search there a few threads that will answer your question. I have one and we are putting it through it's paces today on a Breeders video/live project. I will let you know what I think.
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

That's too bad about the noise problem, and non-impressive 2=buss report. Jezzz.. I need to find something for mastering, something with
the magic. Most of the stuff i seem to get excited about seems to be either cost effective and mediocre, or just glory with bank crushing pricetags.

I have one and we are putting it through it's paces today on a Breeders video/live project. I will let you know what I think.

That would be cool, thanks!
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

I don't think it's that bad on the 2-buss. It doesn't add any of that sparkle that you're looking for either. Maybe the let down comes from expecting to hear a C2 or SSL at 1/4 the price. Mine is quiet, the only noise issue I had was some ugly clipping at a certain setting while I was first testing it (it wasn't a setting I would use anyway). I haven't followed the other thread so I apologize if I'm just repeating other comments.
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Let me make clear that the unit isn't noisy, the problem I'm having is the noise floor has 60Hz hum in it, which I am very anal about. So in a few days I will find out if the upgraded power supply fixes that.

The 7720 sounds better to me than the Duende Bus Compressor! That said I personally mostly see a use for it on drum bus. It could serve as a mix bus compressor too but you have to understand I personally probably wouldn't like any of its relatives either (SSL G-series, Smart C2, RMS) on mix bus. The 7720 may even null with some of those expensive comps...I'd like to see someone test that.

So if I'm getting ANY of this type of comp it will very likely be the 7720, and I may even decide to put up with the 60Hz hum I'm finding if the power supply doesn't fix it. It is not a loud hum at all, but it bothers me just knowing it's there. I have no hum in my studio other than on vintage pieces, and I would expect my tube gear to hum more than solid state gear would.

And oh yeah, it does "sparkle". The high end is not ruined by it and it does push some low mids. You can dial in the tone with the HPF knob, in addition to attack/release. It doesn't need to be run in parallel.
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
That's too bad about the noise problem, and non-impressive 2=buss report.
I haven't noticed any noise issues, but I'm not nearly as technical as others on this board. I've had mine for a bit now, and while I don't think it's thee best 2buss comp out there, I do think it's the best your gonna get for under 1K. That being said, I have used it on the 2buss and gotten good results, but I think it's a bit better suited for other things. Mainly drum buss or parrallel. Next time I have a chance, I want to try it on some low-mid heavy chugging rythem guitars, a hunch tells me it could be the ticket there also.

Quote:
Jezzz.. I need to find something for mastering, something with
the magic.
Usually comes with a pricetag a bit higher than $500.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

What is your budget? I 'accidentally' came across a compressor/expander/limiter/gate that took me completely by surprise on 2bus. What you said earlier about there not seeming to be any in-between devices that bridge the 'meh - sounds good for cheap stuff', all the way to 'WOW, but it costs 4k!!'.

I took a chance on the Klark Teknik DN500+ and was floored. To my ears, it is as close as I'll ever get to an SSL for ~$1500! It is 'voiced' like an SSL BC, IMO (though KT would probably never say that). It has that sheen and smooth 'wash'. It can also do the 'smack' thing to a snare or OH bus. I'm most certainly not putting it in the same class or quality category, but I was totally shocked by it. The other thing that is cool is that it can be almost completely transparent. It is marketed as 1 of the quietest units out there and, regardless of the knee setting (which is variable) it does not gobble up your highs and lows like some stuff (especially some of the 'budget' stuff).

The limiter is good for mastering or just any limiting duties and the gates aren't bad either. I think it is a pretty well kept secret; For $1500 I personally feel like it sounds and performs outside of its price range.

Just my opinion, of course

PS - I've all but switched over to the Duende for all 2Bus and most 'mastering' tasks these days, but you asked about hardware. Either way, I'll probably always hold on to the KT.
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Just an update, I got the CPS-1 power supply and the additional DCCABLE (sold separately ) and it did fix 90% of the hum I was getting from the 7720.

Details and demonstration here:

Chameleon Labs 7720 Stereo Compressor
Old 27th April 2008
Jai guru deva om

Sorry, but I felt compelled to snip a few quotes out about this compressor to show how dangerous some of these threads can go.

Quote:
hi, i was wondering if any users could tell me what this product is like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Normal View Post
It seemed to be the consensus that people were not that impressed with it on the 2buss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
People seem to like it on drum buss.
Quote:
That's too bad about the noise problem, and non-impressive 2=buss report.
Now these are noisy compressors and nobody likes them on 2 buss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Let me make clear that the unit isn't noisy

I personally probably wouldn't like any of its relatives either (SSL G-series, Smart C2, RMS) on mix bus. The 7720 may even null with some of those expensive comps...I'd like to see someone test that.

And oh yeah, it does "sparkle".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD View Post
I don't think it's that bad on the 2-buss. It doesn't add any of that sparkle that you're looking for either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
I haven't noticed any noise issues
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I really am not. I'm not trying to single anybody out either but rather make light of a general issue on this site.

The issue I am raising is that inside this one thread which thousands of people will base conclusions on doesn't really reach any conclusion, and also promotes a lot of ideas about the unit based on what somebody remembers reading about it. I searched and cannot find a thread where the majority of posters said this was not a good mix buss compressor and only good on drums. I can find one user experiencing hum but also mentions RF (radio frequency interference) and might be in a unique situation with RF whereas the rest of us are not (Peeder? You have a radio station broadcast tower next door?). But based on this we're starting to take other people's words as testimony and now these compressors are noisy and suck on 2 buss.

Nobody here is slandering or lying, but the way this info is presented worries me when it comes to the biggest group of Gearslutz that nobody knows: THE LURKER.

Yup, the person who reads this site but never posts, but is looking for product info to base a purchase decision on. I don't know the numbers, but they likely outnumber us by many many times.

I have plenty of experience with this unit, have sold them locally to satisfied studio owners as well as satisfied owners all around the globe (we have sold more 7720 units than anyone else) and like anything else taste dictates what works in what position at what exact moment in time to fill an exact need or feeling. I am not trying to belittle others feelings on the 2 prong mid-line lump supply either, but I have cranked my monitors with one of these compressors in line and heard no noise.

I hope readers will search further than this thread when looking for info on the 7720, or of course better yet try it for yourself in your situation and see if it works out in your studio for your needs.

The reason I'm posting here isn't just about the 7720: it's about the fact that threads that veer in these directions wildly distort perceptions of a product. 2 users out of hundreds or even thousands might be the only negative info you can find, yet you have no idea how many people will pass on a perfectly good product thinking there is some crazy problem or something just outright sucks now.

It's dangerous stuff, seriously! If you have not used it in an application but seem to recall something about a unit, it does not help to post as testimony on a given product. If you catch yourself starting a post by quoting memory or general recollections from others, refrain.

I mean no disrespect to anybody I'm quoting here, but felt the point needed to be made. As long as somebody has used something in a given application and posting a sincere experience about it then they should post freely even if (maybe even especially if!) they dislike it for their own reasons. Love it or like it, if you've used it let us know how you feel...!

I cannot express enough how un-dickish I am trying to be about this and not single anybody out so please do not feel that way. You guys are my friends.

War
Old 27th April 2008
Gear maniac

There's a real obligation to be very careful in what one says on the internet. Careless comments and the propogation of rumours can have devastating effects on the fortunes of companies (particularly small companies catering to very small markets) and individuals.
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas3 View Post
There's a real obligation to be very careful in what one says on the internet. Careless comments and the propogation of rumours can have devastating effects on the fortunes of companies (particularly small companies catering to very small markets) and individuals.
I disagree completely. I believe we need to feel free to express ourselves and we also have to have the sense to discount less-informed opinions and the courage to confront opinions that we disagree with.

Freedom of speech is the solution, not the problem. If we want a biased opinion we can just listen to the dealers. People read gearslutz etc. to get a sense of the people's opinion out in the real world. A good number of the opinions expressed here are accurate for a given point of view...probably the majority are.

I think in my time here it's been extremely encouraging to see a few dominant dealers beaten back and the end-users feel more able to express their own opinions. Brands such as Neumann, Millenia, Vintech, UA, Digidesign, etc. have emerged from years of institutionalized abuse and are now fair game pro or con for everyone. Same with brands that have had gangs of vicious fanboys defending them.

Now on topic, the 7720's hum problem with the line lump is likely to affect many if not all situations and will not be unique to mine. It's just a compromised design, and really requires the CPS-1 power supply plus the sold-seperately DCCABLE. Probably not many people know how to test and see these issues...I explain in my post how.

The 7720 doesn't add anything in the way of warmth. Most people are working digital these days, and the reason they go out to outboard is largely about warmth. The SSL clean-style bus compressor was established as a standard under three conditions: 1) Mixing 2" to 1/2" tape, plenty warm already; 2) In the days before parallel compression became popular; 3) Needing to retain high-end as a result. We don't have these problems today, we have other issues.

So I would recommend the 7720 for drum bus and piano, and maybe acoustic guitar if you want to retain the metallic sheen of the steel/bronze strings. I would probably personally rather mix through a Pro VLA, whether parallel or serial, in this price range, to provide some warmth and vibe and the ability to unlink the sides if desired (the 7720 cannot be unlinked or run dual).

I don't think the product is in any danger of being damaged by the opinions expressed here. Any press is good press to some extent, and this is almost cheap enough to be an impulse try.

But get the CPS-1 and the extra DCCABLE when you do...
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

I've never used the 7720, but I did master an album where the engineer used it quite heavily on the drums, and based on that sound alone I think I might just have to pick one up. Nice squish factor. From what I heard I don't think it'll replace something like a Smart C2, which is good for me because it means having another flavor.

Thanks Peeder for letting us know about the issue with hum, since I wouldn't have known to buy that better power supply until after the fact.
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
I've never used the 7720, but I did master an album where the engineer used it quite heavily on the drums, and based on that sound alone I think I might just have to pick one up. Nice squish factor. From what I heard I don't think it'll replace something like a Smart C2, which is good for me because it means having another flavor.

Thanks Peeder for letting us know about the issue with hum, since I wouldn't have known to buy that better power supply until after the fact.
Yes I think it's an outstanding product and a very solid value, don't get me wrong. Clearly better, via a 2192 at least, than the SSL Duende Bus Compressor. They nearly null, but where they don't null, the 7720 kicks its butt. I got the Smart emu on the Liquid Mix to null even closer, and that was a closer match but I still preferred the hardware. The HPF knob rocks.

Please repeat my noise test (just send digital black in from a converter and back out into the converter, then raise the gain digitally 70db with a Sonalksis FreeG or two...the comp doesn't even need to be engaged for the hum to appear) with both the included line lump and the CPS-1, and if there really is no difference, then by all means send back the CPS-1 for a refund with my apologies and report back. As my sound clip shows, the difference should be unmistakable. No Ebtech Hum Elimintor, Hum X, or de-racking the unit and holding it in my hands, tying the chassis to ground nor anything else would fix the hum, which is AC-based and not RF-based. Only the CPS-1 fixed it (90% of it anyway).

Plus I would also suspect the CPS-1 is providing more and better power to the unit...
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

I can definitely see the potential benefits of having a decent PSU with it. Makes sense that it would be something to be aware of with a unit at this price point, absolutely.
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

I took mine off the drum buss where it's been parked for the last 2 months and used it on the main bus today for a few mixes... I really liked it. It sounded best to me at a 1.5 ratio and auto release with the meter maxing out at about 3 db reduction on the choruses.
I'm actually thinking of ordering another soon so I can use one for parallel and one for 2 bus.
Old 14th July 2011
Gear interested

Same grounding problem here.And when the output gain is past +- 7h30 o clock, there’s a 0.2 db difference in gain between the left and right channel.
Old 21st July 2011
Gear interested

I find a temporary solution to reduce the ground hum significantly without buying, or in a wait of, the cps-1 power supply.Just put a wire from the ground pin (of the cps-1 input) to the chassis.And just to let you know, this is the second unit so far but this one have much less hum from the start without the “mod" than the first one i had.Maybe the newer batch don’t exhibit the same issue since the number on my second one is higher AND is less noisy...
Attached Thumbnails
chameleon labs compressor? any sparkle ?-eee.jpg  
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search