Soundcraft TS-12 vs. TS-24?
New Reply
Subscribe
skythemusic
21st April 2008
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

Soundcraft TS-12 vs. TS-24?

Anyone know the difference between these two boards? I am console-a-hunting and they seem to be contenders. I have a line on a 1600 too. Also thinking of the Toft ATB32, Sound Workshops, Sphere, possibly Amek? Ideas in the under 7k range (preferably under $5k). I like British eq, 32 channels, hi-pass filters, tt bays. Playing w/ 2" 24, 8 track reel, 4 track cassette, Semi-PTools/Logic.....thanks.....Scott
21st April 2008
Old 21st April 2008

I spent quite a few years of my life maintaining a TS24, and I also had a bit to do with a TS12. The TS24 would now be at least 20-25 years old, and given the quality of the switches used, I would be very cautious. The TS24 has excellent routing if you take advantage of it as an in line console, but it relies so heavily on the switches that it only takes one bad contact somewhere and you got BIG problems. The preamps are less than average, but the EQ was very flexiable.

The TS12 came a few years after the TS24, and was a condensed version offering good flexibility, it was built a little better, but once again , it's age makes it a liability. As with all Souncrafts of that era, they did build in a lot of featues, but at the expense of cheap components.

Visit Buzz Audio
21st April 2008
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

Have a look at a Soundcraft Sapphyre, I couldn't be happier with mine especially with some Audio Upgrades mods.

Only about 10-15 years old too so if you find a clean one should have a good few years left in it. The switches are a pain but they are still available and cheap. With a decent de-soldering gun I have replaced loads in my desk for not much money and I am not a tech.

Mid to Pro level desk at the time around $40,000 for a 36 frame with TT bay.

www.giantwafer.com
21st April 2008
Old 21st April 2008
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

I have a TS-24 here I'm working on. It is getting all the switches replaced, that does help. The small ribbon that connects the mute switches fall apart and must be replaced. The pots are all great quality Preh's, the TS-12 uses Alps 16 mm pots like 6000's, Deltas, etc. Parts are available from Soundcraft including spare Preh pots, a company that's been out of biz for a dozen years. Alps switches are available from Mouser for around 70 cents each. With good long life caps, some decent chips and EQ caps, these are great consoles. They offer large mixes with great crosstalk specs.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
21st April 2008
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

FWIW, I too love the EQ on the TS-24. Ahh, alas, I gave up though, as it was costing too much to maintain. I have a master section, 20 channels, and 2 power supplies if anyone is interested in buying them off of me. Oh, and a 40 frame.
21st April 2008
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Steffmo
Skye...where are you located?
skythemusic
22nd April 2008
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

hey guys thanks for the answers. I am in Ashland, Oregon. I just drove up to Portland today to check out a TS-12. The guy sent me a link to his "studio" where everything looked great and told me nearly everything was functioning and that he was selling because he was moving to a smaller space. I drove 5 hours each way and not only had he already moved (7 months ago), but he had stored the console in an uninsulated garage the whole time without turning her on once. Needless to say, every channel at best crackled and every switch had to be pressed 50 times to get it to work. Then you'd engage the eq...nothing. Press it 50 times and maybe it would work. Snapping turtle crackle pop tones and then hit the fader switch and goodbye sound, etc. Not a single channel worked without some flaws. I'm all for a few quirks but.... Its too bad as Jim had upgraded the master section (nice work), it had an upgraded power supply, he had all the tt cables already wired and it had automation. The pres and channels sounded great when they worked (several channels didn't work at all). I passed but he got a free list of everything going on - too many weird things to list here. I would totally be happy with this console if I had it up and running. He was asking 2k including 8 elco tt snakes and the Mackie automation. I thought it was a good deal if the console was working even remotely well but...alas....back to the hunt....Scott
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search