Does Ultimate vista make a different from Basic Home?
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

Does Ultimate vista make a different from Basic Home?

Does Vista Ultimate Edition give you better performance for recording? I'm considering between home basic, home premium, and ultimate...Any suggestions?
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisleyamor View Post
Does Vista Ultimate Edition give you better performance for recording? I'm considering between home basic, home premium, and ultimate...Any suggestions?
of course not man its preformance and some what the gear mostly preformance vista is just a operating sytem man has nothing to do with reording quality.
Old 21st April 2008
Gear maniac

Home Basic is crippled. Get ultimate and turn off every graphical effect possible.
Old 21st April 2008
Gear nut

One of my many jobs is selling technology (sadly, the one I'm salaried for, currently), and here's the rundown:

Vista Home Basic is pretty crippled.

Vista Home Premium is what I would take as a baseline at this point. It's full-featured, and though you'd never use the Media Center functionality on a dedicated recording machine, it's the cheapest version that's got everything you want.

Vista Business is overkill. It's basically Home Premium with more support for complex networking, domain access, and encryption. Some people need those things; I'd wager you probably don't.

Vista Ultimate combines the features of Business and Home Premium. You really won't get any better performance, and the extras are a joke.

If you're going to run Vista at all, go with Home Premium for a stand-alone recording/mixing/editing box.

Really, though, I have Vista on one machine and XP on two computers, and I do all my recording with XP. No matter what you do to Vista, you'll never get it to use less resources than a finely-tuned installation of XP professional. Once you get all the unnecessary services turned off, the page file turned off, etc. etc. it'll run beautifully and be remarkably stable unless your hardware goes bad (the one thing that ISN'T Microsoft's fault).

Hope that helps.
Old 22nd April 2008
Gear interested

+1 for xp, have a setup that hasn't crashed in more than 1 year. One thing though. It is only, I repeat ONLY audio/video work. Everything else is disabled from it's core, straight into bios, disabled everything com ports, ethernet adapter, serial ports everything. That means no internet, no games, all I have is windows, nuendo, premiere after effects and photoshop. And plus if you search around the net there's a performance edition, with certain things removed completly from the install to begin with.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search