New Reply
Subscribe
Jaguar
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Gear interested

Send a message via Yahoo to Jaguar
A Big Dark Vocal Mic ???

through the last year ive experienced that my very bright and thin "enrique iglesias style" of voice definately needs a warm and dark mic, otherwise i just sound like a crying 10 year old boy, so im looking for a great vocal mic in the price range of 1k - 4k.

most great mics for vocal i read abt were discribed as bright, but i definately need somethin that is big and DARK and in the same league with the bigger brauners and neumanns and all those great mics.

any dark mic by soundelux, brauner or neumann out there ???

thanxs guys !
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
member no 666

David Bock from Soundelux has tuned mics for me differently than as they're shipped on more than one occassion... I have a very strong feeling you might want to try an E-47 that has been tuned in a slightly darker, richer manner than the off the shelf unit.

The Horsch mic is another mic I have found that can really add the perception that you have a couple extra pounds of testicles you're toting around. It's a great mic!!

I've had a couple of very nice experiences with the Microtech Geffel UM-92.1 as well.

I think the thing to do would be to try these mics at your studio on your music in order to make an educated decision... while certain things have worked for me in the past, undoubtedly they'll work differently [could be a big difference, could be a very small difference... could actually be no difference at all] when you try them in the context of your music.

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Lives for gear

I use the Korby convertible, and for what you're talking about, I think you'd like the U47 head and probably the 251 head. You could get the body and one head in your price range and then add heads on later if you like.
Jaguar
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Gear interested

if i got it right, e47 is a copy of neumann´s u47 and u47 is a dark mic, right ??? (or more dark than bright ???)

if so, what abt the lawson l47 ??? how does it compare to soundelux e47 ???

i know that most of you guys are into rock and country music,
is a neumann u47/soundelux e47/lawson l47 any good for a modern pop/rnb vocal sound ???

@fletcher, gefell 92.1 sounds interesting, i will definately check that mic...thanxs
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Gear addict

I´ve got two of these:

http://www.microphones.ru/MKL101.htm

fantastic mics. Very dark.

I own a Geffel 92.1 too and it´s kind of bright compared to MKL-101 but I like it on pop stuff.

The MKL-101 sound either fatastic or horrible on vocals - but nine times out of ten fantastic.
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Lives for gear

Gefell CMV563+M7, and get close... doesn't have to be expensive, the quality is different from piece to piece... however I didn't encounter bad piece...
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Lives for gear

If I recall correctly a fellow gearslut James Lugo was searching for the same thing... a big dark rich mic. I believe that after testing about everything under the sun he got the Soundelux E49. I believe he's extremely happy. The E49 is based on the Neumann M49--a big dark mic. You might want to check that one out. It's fairly new--out only a few months so there's not a lot of word on the street. You might try renting one or getting a loaner from a shop like Mercenary, if they've got a loaner.
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by BradD
I use the Korby convertible, and for what you're talking about, I think you'd like the U47 head and probably the 251 head. You could get the body and one head in your price range and then add heads on later if you like.
agreed on the Korby 47 ... although their 251 can range from rich to a more lean/brighter 251, it's not tuned one way only
Mastering Engineer Recent #1 records: The Black Keys "Turn Blue", Ray LaMontagne "Supernova", Chet Faker "Built on Glass", Arctic Monkeys "AM"

Spiral Groove - Studio One - a truly useful nearfield mixing speaker
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
David Bock from Soundelux has tuned mics for me differently than as they're shipped on more than one occassion... I have a very strong feeling you might want to try an E-47 that has been tuned in a slightly darker, richer manner than the off the shelf unit.

Why would he want to do that when there is the Soundelux E49? It's quite a bit darker than the E47, to the effect of 20% or so. The problem of customization of an E47 has been taken care because of the E49. Not to mention that the customer is able to get one right away instead of waiting possibly weeks for a custom job (Not to mention that the E49 is a couple hundred dollars less expensive than the E47). That means the customer wins twice, which is THE most important thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Exmun
If I recall correctly a fellow gearslut James Lugo was searching for the same thing... a big dark rich mic. I believe that after testing about everything under the sun he got the Soundelux E49. I believe he's extremely happy. The E49 is based on the Neumann M49--a big dark mic. You might want to check that one out. It's fairly new--out only a few months so there's not a lot of word on the street.

Couldn't agree more.
9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
Lives for gear

9th August 2004
Old 9th August 2004
member no 666

Well if you're worrying about a couple hundred dollars and you're playing at this level, then I have to ask what the hell you're doing playing at this level...

If you listen closely, the E-47 has a rather decidely different midrange and lowend character than the E-49, which is indeed "duller" in terms of what companies like AKG and modern Neumann consider their money frequencies [I don't know if I could quantify it with a percentage... but it is palpable], but at the same time not quite as "creamy", lacking a bit of the lower mid and way bottom richness you'll often experience with the E-47

The E-49 has a good measure more "breath"... that like 13kHz kinda thing that is indeed highly reminiscent of an original M-49, it has the open quality of an original M-49, it has a very smooth and opulent sounding midrange of an M-49 [and who knows, maybe that's what the brother is looking for]... but from what I was able to gather from the original post, I think the low end thunder and creamy midrange of the E-47 might better fit the description.

As for it taking weeks... not at all, David can knock out one of these mods in a day or two... I spoke with David earlier today to confirm that.

Soundelux is out of E-47's at the moment, but we have a couple on the shelf and could send it out to get modified in a heartbeat should someone ask. [Sorry if that came off as pimping... it was meant as informational, not as weaseling].

Peace.
10th August 2004
Old 10th August 2004
Lives for gear

Both Fletcher and Nathan are correct. We've done a few "modified dark" mics, E47 and ELUX 251 come to mind. However, time lines on custom work are hard to commit to on a constant basis. As Fletcher says, David can do it this week or next, but the week thereafter might be different. Such is life in a hand made shop.

Soundelux opted not to roll off top end in Soundelux mics before the E49 because its a philosophy. You can roll off top end via filter, but you can't install top end correctly via EQ. David is of the mind that IF the originators of the mics could have they would have made them brighter than many of the examples we have today. Many are indeed darker now than they were brand new due to age effects like dirt and spit on the capsule. In the case of the E49, we wanted something closer to common vintage examples we see in studios today. We did the extended top thing in the ELUX, but for those who want darker, there's the E49.

I've had some success with a "dark E47", but it too is a unique animal. Sometimes I see folks saying the Soundelux 47 is too bright compared to a vintage unit, but I've heard many vintage 47's that have zero top end-age effects? Are people comparing the Soundelux to a zero top end vintage unit? I think sometimes they are. The owners love them, so its not like its wrong, just a choice or preference.

In the dark family, the E250 is the next unit due to ship this month with dark in mind. It grew from a mic we built for Mike Harris years ago for a studio client [was it Gloria Estafan Mike? Went to Critereon?]. The client liked the curve of the ELUX but thought it revealed too much sibilance in the singer (Gloria does have that issue). Inside a disguised PTM body was a rolled off ELUX251. The E250 is basically that mic with some circuit refinements, no variable pattern, and a different body from ELUX that reduces cost. Its a mic with characteristics that some really want: a dark 251.

Brad
10th August 2004
Old 10th August 2004
Gear addict

So Soundelux is out of E47's....how about the 251's Brad? I got one on order I have been dying waiting for it.
10th August 2004
Old 10th August 2004
Lives for gear

How 'bout the AEA R44 family for dark, full and rich? Might be considered at least.
11th August 2004
Old 11th August 2004
Gear nut

11th August 2004
Old 11th August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
So Soundelux is out of E47's....how about the 251's Brad? I got one on order I have been dying waiting for it.

Everything was on hold at Soundelux over STUPID FRIKKING wood boxes. The box manufacturer stiffed David, caused a huge mess. We can't ship them in just any old thing, it won't protect the mic. Its taken 3 weeks to get boxes, which we got in 2 days ago. Soundelux is shipping everything but E47's, which will ship early next week.
Brad
12th August 2004
Old 12th August 2004
Lives for food

Man, no one ever comments on the mic I love, the Lawson L-47. Don't any of you guys like those?
Jaguar
14th August 2004
Old 14th August 2004
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by thenoodle
Man, no one ever comments on the mic I love, the Lawson L-47. Don't any of you guys like those?
ive heard so many great things abt lawson

would you recommend them for rnb/pop vocals ???
14th August 2004
Old 14th August 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by thenoodle
it's okay just not in the top drawer, not at all
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search