Lookin' for a mix engineer!
Old 5th April 2008
Gear interested

Lookin' for a mix engineer!

Hey everyone! I've been a longtime lurker, but don't post much... love the site!

I'm just wrapping up a great R&B/Soul/Pop project and I'm looking into getting someone else to mix it. I'm pretty happy with where the rough mixes are going, but I think another pair of ears (hopefully a really pro pair of ears) could help a lot.

The usual instrumentation on the tunes is:

male lead vocals
male and female bg vocals
bass (electric)
drums (motown style grooves with paired down micing)
programmed drums
strings (30pc string section on 3 songs!!! )
live horns (trumpet, trombone, tenor and bari sax)
hammond, clav, rhodes, wurly (all real, baby!)
guitar (electric, acoustic and nylon)
some DJ stuff
percussion (congas, shakers, tamb, ear candy, etc.)

Someone in the realm of Dave Pensado would be perfect for the project. Someone who has experience working with live and programmed instrumentation in a pop/r&b/soul style.

Suggestions?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!

Mike
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

more details?

How were he live instruments tracked? How much are you willing to pay?

I have done this sort of thing - all programmed except vocals. My vocal mic at the time was not ideal (BLUE Blueberry) but I basically enjoyed the results. Wish I had then what I have now though.

If you go to my (very obsolete) website, there is a short clip from the abovementioned project
entitled "Robert Chandler." I say obsolete because my studio has about $18,000 more gear at my service then it had when I last updated the site - I have a bunch of projects I am trying to finish, then I will revamp it.

I have developed some tricks and tools to add warmth and liveliness (if that's what's called for) to programmed tracks.

P.M. me if you want to talk, your project looks like fun!
Old 5th April 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit View Post
Hey everyone! I've been a longtime lurker, but don't post much... love the site!

I'm just wrapping up a great R&B/Soul/Pop project and I'm looking into getting someone else to mix it. I'm pretty happy with where the rough mixes are going, but I think another pair of ears (hopefully a really pro pair of ears) could help a lot.

male lead vocals
bass (electric)
programmed drums
some DJ stuff

Someone in the realm of Dave Pensado would be perfect for the project. Someone who has experience working with live and programmed instrumentation in a pop/r&b/soul style.

Suggestions?

Mike
Dave Pensado is a regular poster here. Do a search then wave your cheque book around and you will be a happy bunny.
Old 5th April 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
Dave Pensado is a regular poster here. Do a search then wave your cheque book around and you will be a happy bunny.
Haha! Yeah, I've read most of the stuff Dave has posted here (and elsewhere) and really like his approach. I've tried to get in contact with him, but haven't had any luck yet. I would be a very happy bunny indeed to have him working on this
Old 5th April 2008
Gear interested

Here's some of the guys who's mix styles would suit the stuff:

Jonnie "Most" Davis,
Russell Elevado,
Tony Maserati,
Mark "Spike" Stent,
Jeremy Wheatley,
Jon Gass,
Jaycen Joshua (Dave Pensado's Former Assistant),
Dexter Simmons,
Phil Tan,
Steve Hodge.

A pretty swanky (and pricey) list, I know, but those are some of the mixers who I think would suit this stuff. Any other suggestions, or anyone worked with any of these guys?

Thanks!

mike
Old 5th April 2008
Gear Guru

Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any other suggestions, or anyone worked with any of these guys?
Yeah - I mixed an album with Jeremy Wheatley - he gets a good radio mix happening ( wide & exciting ) He does alot of programmed stuff too, so could be a good choice.
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

I recommend David Terry. He is "Sodium Glow" on here. He is really good. Look him up and he can send you some of his work. He is great with that genre too...
Old 6th April 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
I recommend David Terry. He is "Sodium Glow" on here. He is really good. Look him up and he can send you some of his work. He is great with that genre too...
Thanks, I will!

Keep 'em coming!
Old 6th April 2008
Gear addict

Old 6th April 2008
Gear Guru

might i suggest mike rogers? SUPER-talented. great guy. very affordable rates.

check him out - he's an absolute DREAM to work with, in every respect.

if you're interested - pm me for contact info...
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Steve..You're too kind brotha!

Sure...I'd love to talk with you about it.

david at sodiumglow dot com

Here is an orchestra/vocal mix I just finished Thursday. Not very "pop" but you can get the idea.

http://www.sodiumglow.com/media/Finally_Home.mp3

Last edited by sodium glow; 6th April 2008 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: include link
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

Old 6th April 2008
Gear interested

Thanks everyone! And thanks to all the people that PM'd me too! I'm going to sift through all this stuff and get back to y'all.

Thanks again!

mike
Old 6th April 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post

Anyone have any experience working with Ken Lewis? I checked out his website and he looks pretty cool, well, his work does - no pics of him that I could see
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

Old 7th April 2008
Gear nut

Old 7th April 2008
I work with a guy named F Reid Shippen here in Nashville. He's mixed half of the last 2 India.Arie records (with the other half being mixed by Dave Pensado). He's also mixed Jonny Lang, Marc Broussard, etc...

He's great and does very well on R&B stuff...and pretty much everything else.

myspace.com/freidshippen
Old 8th April 2008
Gear interested

Thanks! I'll check him out.
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone have any experience working with Ken Lewis? I checked out his website and he looks pretty cool, well, his work does - no pics of him that I could see
Ken is AMAZING! and a super super nice dude.
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post
I work with a guy named F Reid Shippen here in Nashville. He's mixed half of the last 2 India.Arie records (with the other half being mixed by Dave Pensado). He's also mixed Jonny Lang, Marc Broussard, etc...

He's great and does very well on R&B stuff...and pretty much everything else.

myspace.com/freidshippen

Reid is a stand up guy and a hell of an engineer...HI REID (small world)?
Old 8th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-M. View Post
Reid is a stand up guy and a hell of an engineer...HI REID (small world)?
Hey Ari, it's Buckley. Hope you're well. Missing that San Diego weather.
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Ari, it's Buckley. Hope you're well. Missing that San Diego weather.

I doubt you guys miss your mixes being twice as loud on the left side tho....YIKES...does anyone make a plugin that fixes jumpy Ultimation faders....DOUBLE YIKES...what an embarrassment that week was.....but don't worry we'll make it up to you guys...
Old 8th April 2008
It was very frustrating, but Reid and I both appreciated your effort and response to the situation. It was what it was. No hard feelings at all.
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was very frustrating, but Reid and I both appreciated your effort and response to the situation. It was what it was. No hard feelings at all.
you see folks this is what I am talking about, Reid Shippen and his crew are stand up people.....thats why you should mix your record with them....and of course if they are booked I will be happy to do it for you...
Old 10th September 2009
Gear interested

Mix Your Record

Quote:

male lead vocals
bass (electric)
programmed drums
some DJ stuff

Suggestions?

Mike
Hey man it sounds like a great project.. I work out of a killer studio in Miami. I have worked with Tony Maserati,Mick Guzauski and Eric Schilling. I have also mixed records for several up and coming artists. I have mixed full 100track productions with full orch etc. To straight up 16track Hip hop R&B tracks.. you could check out the studio @ C-Rod Studios (C-Rod recording Studios) | MySpace . If you are interested you can contact me @ stevensunset@gmail.com
Old 10th September 2009
Lives for gear

send your mix to some studios and get a test mix
Old 10th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
send your mix to some studios and get a test mix
This thread is almost a year and a half old. I doubt he's still looking for someone for this project.
Old 10th September 2009
Lives for gear

lol, ok
Old 11th September 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
This thread is almost a year and a half old. I doubt he's still looking for someone for this project.

Yeah, thanks guys! The project is long done. I ended up using a few different engineers for the project. It was a great experience, I found some good engineers and some not so good engineers - but I won't name names Overall it was great! Thanks for the help everyone!
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search