Lexicon MX300
New Reply
Subscribe
NoPro
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

Lexicon MX300

I'm about to get one of these reverb units. I want to be able to use it for my mixes and as my main reverb instead of plugins. I'm running logic pro 7.2.3 on a G5. If anyone has one of these and could share some thoughts/experience on using it...or other I'd appreciate it. thank you.
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

I have the mx400 and the software interface doesn't work. At least not Logic Studio 8.01/Mac Pro. But the unit can sound pretty good running digital-to-digital. The converters are very chilly and metallic sounding. These reverbs make a decent algorithmic counterpart to Space Designer.

I don't know if Logic 7 has Space Designer but I would probably upgrade to Logic 8 soon enough if it will work for you.

Note that hardware latency will give you an automatic predelay...so be careful with e.g. the compressors etc. The reverbs shouldn't be hurt too much by a little extra predelay.
NoPro
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I have the mx400 and the software interface doesn't work. At least not Logic Studio 8.01/Mac Pro. But the unit can sound pretty good running digital-to-digital. The converters are very chilly and metallic sounding. These reverbs make a decent algorithmic counterpart to Space Designer.

I don't know if Logic 7 has Space Designer but I would probably upgrade to Logic 8 soon enough if it will work for you.

Note that hardware latency will give you an automatic predelay...so be careful with e.g. the compressors etc. The reverbs shouldn't be hurt too much by a little extra predelay.

sounds bad about the chilly metallic sound. years ago i had a quadraverb and it sucked. the thing is I can't afford more than 300 for a hardware verb...i usually never buy used so i thought about the MX300...now I'm a bit hesistant......any other suggestions? thanks
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPro View Post
sounds bad about the chilly metallic sound. years ago i had a quadraverb and it sucked. the thing is I can't afford more than 300 for a hardware verb...i usually never buy used so i thought about the MX300...now I'm a bit hesistant......any other suggestions? thanks
In that price range, you can pick up a Roland SRV-330. Another cheaper 'verb that has decent Halls and Plates is a Lexicon Reflex; it uses the same Lexichip as the PCM 81 but please understand it doesn't have the same decay/delay lines or flexibility of the PCM 81. Some of the lower end TC Electronic 'verbs are decent as well but again, they don't have the same decay/delay lines or flexibility of their bigger brothers. With 'verbs, you get what you pay for.

Of course, you could always build your own reverb:
ProSoundWeb | Building Your Own Plate Reverb: By Bob Buontempo pg. 3
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search