New Reply
Subscribe
lydpik
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Software clipper for Mac??

Hi.

Looking for a good sounding software clipper for mastering purposes. Something that simulates AD clipping. Anyone heard of such a plug in for Mac OSX, could be RTAS or VST?

And please don't mention T-Racks, that sounds narrow and dull, IMO.

Here's an example: (windows only)

GVST - GClip Manual

Thanks,
Peter
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Guru

Looks like you could do that with a software limiter and some gain....

-tINY

lydpik
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Looks like you could do that with a software limiter and some gain....

-tINY

I'm looking for a clipper, not another limiter.

I wonder why no one have thought about making some software that could simulate AD clipping, when it's so common in mastering studios?
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Guru

What does this do that you can't do with a soft-clip limiter and gain?

-tINY

27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

There are lots of plugs you can use to to the same thing, just not many dedicated ones.

You can in theory use 'distortion' plugs - just depends on what transfer function you're after ( you could try looking at some of the free airwindows ones )
lydpik
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post

There are lots of plugs you can use to to the same thing, just not many dedicated ones.

)
Yeah, but I can't seem to find any for the Mac OSX platform and the T-Racks clipper isn't very transparent. I use it sometimes though, it's OK on rock music when you want things to be loud, but not with the artifacts you get from e.g. L2.

A clipper leaves more dynamics to the material, than a Limiter and used with moderation can give some good results
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Airwindows

http://www.airwindows.com/f/Drive.dmg

There you go

I recommend that over Density because it's a little sharper-edged- Density will get you a big fat overdrive but it really kicks in too easily for mastering, throws things way forward.

Alternately,

http://www.airwindows.com/f/Crystal.dmg

Use that- the 'hardness' control goes between Density-style fat coloredness and the coldness of straight-up digital clipping. The transition between the clean zone and full clip is always as smooth as possible but as it occurs over a smaller and smaller range the color of the soft-clip gets harder and brighter. The 'character' control is bringing in a small amount of extreme high frequency rolloff, for mastering you might want to turn that to 0. There is a touch of processing similar to what I did in Chrome Oxide which breaks up highs a touch. The output level control gives you your final output so this can be used as a last stage before dither. If you're using a high energy noise shaper like POW-R 3 or MegaBitMax (I forget what it's called now) you might want to leave more space for that

Chris
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

I was gonna recommend the T-Racks Soft Clipper in the T-Racks bundle as well - it's the only worthwhile part of bundle. I don't know - I find if you set the knee right and don't try to go too over the top with it, it stays pretty transparent, but you have to walk a very fine line to retain any kind of transparency if you going to employ soft clipping anyhow. The Adaptive Limiter in Logic is a soft clipper as well, but I actually have to say that I've been able to get far fewer artifacts using the T-Racks one, as unlikely as that may seem. Anyhow, good luck.
lydpik
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

lydpik
27th February 2008
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
I was gonna recommend the T-Racks Soft Clipper in the T-Racks bundle as well - it's the only worthwhile part of bundle. I don't know - I find if you set the knee right and don't try to go too over the top with it, it stays pretty transparent, but you have to walk a very fine line to retain any kind of transparency if you going to employ soft clipping anyhow. The Adaptive Limiter in Logic is a soft clipper as well, but I actually have to say that I've been able to get far fewer artifacts using the T-Racks one, as unlikely as that may seem. Anyhow, good luck.
Yeah, your properly right. I was just hoping there was an alternative to T-Racks. But maybe it's the only clipper that will work in Pro Tools.... Hmmm....
28th February 2008
Old 28th February 2008
Gear nut

10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Hutch View Post
Check out the Flux stuff (Flux:: sound and picture development)

The Pure Compressor and the Solera have a 'clipper' function which I've used to good effect when mastering...

Iain
Those are hella expensive though. Any alternatives to Chris' (airwindows) stuff for comparison? I don't have T-Racks and have no intention of getting it.

Thanks!
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to theom
event horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
Stillwell Event Horizon
This thing is like crack.

I either love it or hate it. I cant tell.
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
I'm looking for a clipper, not another limiter.

I wonder why no one have thought about making some software that could simulate AD clipping, when it's so common in mastering studios?

Funniest thread of the month, so far and it's only just beginning.

10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stillwell Event Horizon
+1

that thing does stuff i have not heard a plug in until now.

i've been using it on my stereo buss, just in "clip" mode...no limiting.

when it works for the tune.....it works brilliantly.

best,

jchristopherhughes
10th December 2008
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theom View Post
This thing is like crack.

I either love it or hate it. I cant tell.
feelin the same way. i felt the same way the first time started mixing with an alan smart across the stereo buss. it can do something REALLY cool to some mixes...and completely destroy others.

a record i am currently mixing totally in the box has been benefiting from judicious use of the urs saturation plugs, and the event horizon on the stereo buss.

event horizon is really doin some cool stuff on this particular record.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
11th December 2008
Old 11th December 2008
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

is it too early to suggest that someone come up with a plug that simulates the actual a/d conversion of a track?

gregoire
del
ubk

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
11th December 2008
Old 11th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

I don't get what's so funny? Clipping is used by many.
11th December 2008
Old 11th December 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Stillwell Event Horizon

+1 thumbsup
11th December 2008
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear

how about the new t-racks?
11th December 2008
Old 11th December 2008
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krank View Post
Those are hella expensive though. Any alternatives to Chris' (airwindows) stuff for comparison? I don't have T-Racks and have no intention of getting it.

Thanks!
ehe...

If you're worried about things being stupid-expensive, why are you so sure there ARE alternatives to my Airwindows stuff?

Seriously, if you're on Pro Tools you could look into the Massey plugins... now you have me all interested though. If there is a better clipper for mimicking the overdrive of an A/D _I_ should be making it. I wasn't aware it was that big of a deal. Isn't that just hard digital clipping, but with the antialiasing filter in play? I ought to be able to do that sort of thing algorithmically and it'll be cleaner anytime it's not actively clipping because I can have it be bit-identical. You're serious that you want specifically A/D clipping?
12th December 2008
Old 12th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
ehe...

If you're worried about things being stupid-expensive, why are you so sure there ARE alternatives to my Airwindows stuff?

Seriously, if you're on Pro Tools you could look into the Massey plugins... now you have me all interested though. If there is a better clipper for mimicking the overdrive of an A/D _I_ should be making it. I wasn't aware it was that big of a deal. Isn't that just hard digital clipping, but with the antialiasing filter in play? I ought to be able to do that sort of thing algorithmically and it'll be cleaner anytime it's not actively clipping because I can have it be bit-identical. You're serious that you want specifically A/D clipping?
Well, not the OP, but I'm thinking of a certain kind of soft clipping. Btw., the only thing that keeps me from your stuff is the fact that I can't demo first. Oh, and that I'd like a multi-platform product since I work in Windows a lot too.
12th December 2008
Old 12th December 2008
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krank View Post
Well, not the OP, but I'm thinking of a certain kind of soft clipping. Btw., the only thing that keeps me from your stuff is the fact that I can't demo first. Oh, and that I'd like a multi-platform product since I work in Windows a lot too.
I'm still trying to figure out if it's soft clipping or modified clipping- pretty much anything you can describe really well I can do.

It's going to be Xmas- email me. I don't do demos but I'm like Mercenary Audio in that, if I feel I know you, and can trust you with it, I'll let you test drive with the understanding that it's a plug you're particularly interested in and you're reasonably likely to go buy it. I'm listening to your music and it's making me grin, I'm curious what you were thinking to use out of my arsenal...

Cannot do multi-platform- I'm just an AU guy. I'm more about the sounds and less about grappling with lots of different hosts and platforms- priced accordingly. If what you use aligns with what I do, then that works out
12th December 2008
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

+2 for the event horizon from stillwell.

You can try it for free to see if you like it. I recommend barely pulling the threshold back- if at all, and dialing in some of the clipper.

There are two kinds of light — the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures.

— James Thurber
13th December 2008
Old 13th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I'm still trying to figure out if it's soft clipping or modified clipping- pretty much anything you can describe really well I can do.

It's going to be Xmas- email me. I don't do demos but I'm like Mercenary Audio in that, if I feel I know you, and can trust you with it, I'll let you test drive with the understanding that it's a plug you're particularly interested in and you're reasonably likely to go buy it. I'm listening to your music and it's making me grin, I'm curious what you were thinking to use out of my arsenal...

Cannot do multi-platform- I'm just an AU guy. I'm more about the sounds and less about grappling with lots of different hosts and platforms- priced accordingly. If what you use aligns with what I do, then that works out
Super, thanks. Let me get back to you - I'm at uni, so the next period of time it's the books for me. But as I leave my projects now, what I seem to really need for OSX is tape and limiting (and clipping). Nebula does that for me in Windows, but that's so much hassle that I'm strictly OSX lately. So come to think of it, multi-platform is not really a requirement for me; and AU is fine.
13th December 2008
Old 13th December 2008
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
is it too early to suggest that someone come up with a plug that simulates the actual a/d conversion of a track?
I didn't say anything but I have actually been working on that for a long time. I've got some theories on how it works, I have some ideas on how you know when you've done it. It'll be extremely solid punchy clipping but there's a softness about it and specifically the extreme highs will refuse to get hard. My theory is that this is through the hardware AD not having the highs' peaks all go to the same place, as that causes the 'hardness' sensation that's really unpleasant on the treble.

I got a huge burst of inspiration and worked instead of eating (hey, times are hard too, more food for tomorrow right?)

I've done it.

Seriously- I've done it. This might be the ultimate safety clipper for if you really don't want any console or other color, just hellacious amounts of gain. I've got it implemented like ShortBuss- it's control-less and you just put it last, before dithering. It clips to -0.3db to be mastering-friendly- you can cut CDs directly off the output once you dither it.

I'll work on getting it out there to buy- don't expect a lot of action this month due to Xmas but seriously, guys, if you can use AUs, problem solved. I tested it on one of my pop demo tracks, full band, at +20 db. It was insanely blasted but not hard at all and the highs don't all peak the same like you took a razor and shaved them off. OP problem solved if you can run AUs
5th September 2009
Old 5th September 2009
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to kheftel Send a message via Yahoo to kheftel
Did you ever finish the soft-clipping plug?
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear nut

FWIW, though Chris' Airwindows ADClip is out - I've found his Luxor plug does a very musical job of clipping.
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear addict

No one has mentioned the Sonnox Inflator. Has a "clip" mode that works very well. And the sound of the "effect" slider is a great harmonic enhancer. A little goes a long way.
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear addict

Ozone

Try Ozone 4's limiter in Soft mode. thumbsup
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search