Leslie speaker/amp - blown horn??
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Leslie speaker/amp - blown horn??

I'm wondering if someone can help me 'diagnose' this issue I'm having with my Leslie.

I have a Leslie 900 amp in a Leslie 330 chassis. It started life as a 330 and the amp was later upgraded to a 900. This was all prior to my owning it.

Anyhow, the amp has 2 drivers. A bass driver on the bottom (15", I believe), and a double, plastic horn on the top. One side of the horns is closed for Doppler effect.

Here is the problem:

It 'sounds like' there is something blown in one of the horns. Is this possible? It is most noticeable with guitar. Basically I hear a fuzzy, crackly, distorted version of most notes I play 'underneath' the regular tone. It is hard to describe. Perhaps it would be better to post a sample. I can't do that until later.

'Some' notes sound mostly clean, but most don't. It happens more often and more prominently if I really dig in to a string. I can also hear it with chords. Especially aggressive bar chords.

The bass driver sounds clean. This is a 2 speed Leslie. I hear the issue at both speeds and while not spinning.

Any thoughts? I'll try to post samples later.
Old 27th February 2008
Gear nut

If it's anything like my 145 the top 'horn' isn't actually a speaker. The speaker sits facing up and the horn turns atop it. It's definitely possible the horn is blown. I don't know if they're reconable or if you just have to replace it.

I'd first check all the connections. I'm pretty sure it's not a tube leslie, right? Check the crossover too. I'd bet though that if you don't have any distortion from the 15" the problem is with the horn.

Also check that you're not over driving the preamp. Gain management is important. Does it distort just when you're pushing more signal (digging in)?
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff004 View Post
If it's anything like my 145 the top 'horn' isn't actually a speaker. The speaker sits facing up and the horn turns atop it. It's definitely possible the horn is blown. I don't know if they're reconable or if you just have to replace it.

I'd first check all the connections. I'm pretty sure it's not a tube leslie, right? Check the crossover too. I'd bet though that if you don't have any distortion from the 15" the problem is with the horn.

Also check that you're not over driving the preamp. Gain management is important. Does it distort just when you're pushing more signal (digging in)?
Thanks. I've never heard of a plastic horn getting blown (no pun intended ) Is there any physical signs i can look for? I am going to pull it off of the spindle tonight.

It is, indeed a solid state Leslie. It is also an amp...not just a preamp. To be honest, I'd like to find a way to make it both. I'd love to be able to use it as a stand-alone amp and in conjunction with another head.

There is no issues with the 15" driver/speaker. In my Leslie, the 15" speaker faces downward into a spinning piece of what feels like either very light wood or laminated foam with a large cut-away.

Question - does the horn actually sit on top of another smaller speaker? It does not look that way, but th way you phrased your response makes it sound that way for yours. I really need to look more closely at it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 27th February 2008
Han
Lives for gear

Under the horn is a compression driver, like the ones being used in PA systems.
Could it be that something has fallen into the horn?

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search