Line Level Digital Delay PEDAL?
New Reply
Subscribe
Protools Guy
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Line Level Digital Delay PEDAL?

Does anyone know of a digital delay PEDAL that will work well in a line level effects loop of a guitar amp?

I don't want to have to take out a rack piece, and would much rather use a small pedal.

I have an amp that has a very hot effects loop. I've used pedals before in the effects loops of other amps without issue, but this loop is +4.

I've tried Boss DDL's and Line 6 DL4 and they can't take the +4 signal without ugly clipping.

I hear that one solution is to get an Ebtech Line Level Shifter, but I would rather get a pedal that can operate at line level and be done with it.

If you are using the Ebtech, please chime in and tell me how you like it.

Thanks Slutz!
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear maniac

That amp wouldn't happen to be a Randall MTS would it? Have you tried the Evantide Time Factor?

~Lerxst
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
That amp wouldn't happen to be a Randall MTS would it? Have you tried the Evantide Time Factor?

~Lerxst
You must be psychic!!

How do you like the Eventide Timefactor? It looks really cool.

Anybody tried it yet?
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear addict

Did you try the Boss DD-20? I use it on my synths all the time.
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

TimeFactor as suggested, or a Diamond Memory Lane. Even the Line6 DL4 is a pretty good delay pedal. I've run +4 through it on an insert without noticing any clipping.
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
Did you try the Boss DD-20? I use it on my synths all the time.
Didn't try the DD-20. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Protools Guy
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
TimeFactor as suggested, or a Diamond Memory Lane. Even the Line6 DL4 is a pretty good delay pedal. I've run +4 through it on an insert without noticing any clipping.
I've got the DL4, and it works with some amps, but this new amp I've got has a REAL hot loop, and the DL4 is clipping badly. I thought for sure it would've worked, but no such luck.

I'll look into the Diamond Memory Lane. Thanks!
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protools Guy View Post
You must be psychic!!

How do you like the Eventide Timefactor? It looks really cool.

Anybody tried it yet?
I've been lusting over the MTS stuff since it came out - one day all your talk about it is going to twist my arm to buy just one more piece of gear.

As far as the Time Factor, I have not used one. All of my gear is racked and switched by a Soundsculptre unit which handles all of the signal levels and then controlled by midi up front. When you mentioned a line level pedal, it intrigued me so I started looking around. Eventide has a demo video for the pedal on their website that you may want to check out. They've always seemed to put out decent gear so it might be worth a look.

Eventide - TimeFactor

~Lerxst
Protools Guy
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
I've been lusting over the MTS stuff since it came out - one day all your talk about it is going to twist my arm to buy just one more piece of gear.

As far as the Time Factor, I have not used one. All of my gear is racked and switched by a Soundsculptre unit which handles all of the signal levels and then controlled by midi up front. When you mentioned a line level pedal, it intrigued me so I started looking around. Eventide has a demo video for the pedal on their website that you may want to check out. They've always seemed to put out decent gear so it might be worth a look.

Eventide - TimeFactor

~Lerxst
I was practicing last night and I really felt so good about the MTS. It MAKES me want to play SO much more. The legato stuff just flys out of the amp without any gain pedal in front of the head, which is something I've been used to. Even with that much gian that the module offers, I can roll down my volume on my guitar and it cleans up real well. I can't say enough good things about this amp.

My G-force sounds INCREDIBLE in the loop, but I want to take out a pedal board rather than a rack AND pedal board.

I'll check out the Eventide site. Thanks again brotha'!
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:

My G-force sounds INCREDIBLE in the loop, but I want to take out a pedal board rather than a rack AND pedal board.
I fully understand that! Nothing worse than going for a small jam somewhere and having to either pull stuff out of the rack or drag the touring rig around - Not!

Now I have a small combo and "little" pedal board for informal jams - just an excuse to buy more stuff.....

Cheers!

~Lerxst
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

I'm going to pick up a Timefactor pretty soon. I'm keeping my eyes peeled to see who has the best price. I currently have a Diamond Memory Lane (very cool analog), and the Line6 DL4 (cool modeler).
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Before I head off to the gear store, anybody else have any ideas on this?
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Before I head off to the gear store, anybody else have any ideas on this?
Yeah, take your amp head with you and test the pedals with it.
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

I have posted that of all the pedals I tried (DL4, Nova Delay, H2O, AD-999, RE-201, etc.) I returned all but the Time Factor and the Ibanez AD-9.

TimeFactor is an outstanding pedal. It's software upgradable via USB and 2.0 works very well. I got the Moog expression pedal for it which also works very well. It can switch from line to guitar level on both input and output making it a possible reamp. It has switchable true bypass. This is a professional piece of gear.
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe an inline attenuator is all you need. But I think the Ebtech LLS is a good idea. The transformer isolation can reduce ground loop hum, which can be an issue at some venues when trying to interface mains powered effects with an amp.

I bought the XLR version, and I think it's a useful problem solver to have around. I got the Hum Eliminator version as well, for the times that I just need 1:1 isolation. The LLS gives the necessary step down from +4 to -10 line levels.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search