Symetrix 425
New Reply
Subscribe
layez
3rd February 2008
Old 3rd February 2008
Gear maniac

Symetrix 425

Does anyone else have one of these? I've had mine for a while and have used it for kick, bass, snare, and acoustic gutiar. I was curious as to the specific applications that others use it for. I think it's a decent compressor.. i dont know how it stands next to the 501 as ive never used it.
layez
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Gear maniac

maybe this should be in low end
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

I had a pair of 425's for ages.

They were perfectly nice compressors for certain jobs (I found keyboards well-suited) but in the end their lack of character (partly due to the absence of an attack control) meant they were seeing limited use in the studio and I sold them.

I could see them finding a good home in a live rack - the expander section can really help mask noisy gear.

· Use your real name - keep Gearslutz authoritative, accountable and courteous.
· Stop the superlatives madness - just say no to gear threads with the word 'best' in the title.
· Words or WAVs? The former are interesting, the latter are convincing.
· Author of the unofficial GEARSLUTZ APPLICATION FORM
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Gear addict

Symetrix 425?

I just got an offer on a couple of these for cheap. I am short of compressors so thought it might be handy.

but its really quite hard to find any info on them on the internets.

Anyone know anything about these?

should i pick one up for 50 quid or just let it go?
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Gear addict

6th February 2010
Old 6th February 2010
Lives for gear

Bumping this for reference...

I was digging around since I have 3 pairs. I haven't used them much in studio, actually never I think, but what I can tell you is that every single time I used them live, I was blown away with the efficiency of both compression and expander/hysteresis. It is a total feedback eliminator without cutting a hole in the freq range. Very effective.

It can be made to pump extremely easy, maybe too easy on some material, but in a very musical un-mudded way. Plus, you can do anything via sidechain.

VCA's are said to be the same as the revered DBX160, which makes it a favourite with bassists and low end tightening. A very very complete unit, although no attack, you can compensate with release on expander. Plus you can really push thing into the limiter.

Come to think about it, this could very well be a dirty cheap harware mix buss

I actually have them in the studio, I think I'll patch them up and play around a bit
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Been playing around with these in studio... amazing what good clean AC current does for your gear...

These pups are WAY better than I recalled!! Clean, to the point, highly effective! (like WOW better than I expected really!!)
I really go to patch them up and do some serious further testing!

Its almost as I had just bought 6 great slutty new outboards, this is how excited I am about these!

(well, only tested one so far, but as there are no tubes... I expect some level of consistency)
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't used mine in years, but the expanders on these as far as I can recall, were the best things about them. Hmm.. maybe I should go digging and fire it up again...
-Bob's Mom
19th March 2010
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
It can be made to pump extremely easy...
I agree with you on most everything else about the 425 (see my earlier post) but man, I could never make these things pump satisfactorily! How do you do it with no attack control?
19th March 2010
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Easy, just drive it hard into the limiter and pulll back completely on hysteresis!

But the real trick is the "ADSR" you feed into it too. I was messing about with some heavy beats and distortion. It can pump even without sidechaining (obviously misses the point, but make a new one).

Its not a gate, so it pushes back on threshold and violently pushes it up forward coming back up again.

14th May 2010
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Low end, shlow end !

Is a sm57 low end because of price?

I've found out some relevant info!

from

Pro Audio Design Forum • View topic - Symetrix 425 Manual

a guy repairing one of these units says

" It uses a CA3046 transistor array as a detector with both log peak and log average outputs. It's very similar to the Blackmer RMS topology (without squaring) and uses a 2150 VCA "

FABULOUS!

... now off to translate this into plain English...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search