Nomad Factory Blue Tubes Analog Trackbox
New Reply
Subscribe
Jake Dempsey
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Nomad Factory Blue Tubes Analog Trackbox

Thinking about buying it. Anyone use it? Dig it? Hate it? Indifferent?
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dempsey View Post
Thinking about buying it. Anyone use it? Dig it? Hate it? Indifferent?
A lot of people here do not like BT. I think, buy it if you like it and if it helps you making better mixes
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Gear nut

I like it.
It may not be everyone's cup of tea but i use it a lot. I tend to to think of it as a character plug in. The tube circuit adds some nice things to the sound... and the compressor and eq are nice.. however, i don't find it a surgical plug in -if you know what i mean!
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Tony"CD"Kelly
I use it and I love it.....Bless thumbsup
17th January 2008
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic monkey View Post
I like it.
It may not be everyone's cup of tea but i use it a lot. I tend to to think of it as a character plug in. The tube circuit adds some nice things to the sound... and the compressor and eq are nice.. however, i don't find it a surgical plug in -if you know what i mean!
I own whole BT V3 and I like it but I found this plugins usefull not for each track but only for some of them. If you use these plugins a lot in the same mix, in result there is a little bit too much character (color), mainly in hi-mid and highs (sound is less transparent and harsh).
My basic EQ and Dynamics is Sonnox, which is clean and very transparent.
17th January 2008
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Head

I have almost all their stuff ... because of their color. Actually, I think these plugins are getting better and better...
I have a Scope DAW (Soniccore dsp boards) and I mainly use my DSP effects (e.g. : sonictimeworks reverbs, DAS EQs...) but the Nomad factory plugins add something very subtile as soon as you use them in a subtil way (I mainly use them on guitars). Of course, "hard" settings can be useful too but it can become "risky" at the end (that's always true though). I do think they are worth it for their price. Just my 2 cents ...
17th January 2008
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
I only tried it at version 1.0 and it sucked.
I hear people saying they got much better since then.
30th November 2009
Old 30th November 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

$15...

I just bought the Nomad Factory TrackBox for $15 from audioMIDI.com just out of my ever lasting GAS.
I remember demoing it a few months ago and haven't been very excited about it, but for $15 it has been a no-brainer (as the name of the promo correctly implies) for me. What are your thoughts? Is it worth the $15? Or is it no "no-brainer" anymore if we start talking about it by using our brains?
1st December 2009
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

hmm, that price is tempting indeed. but almost always bad critics...
1st December 2009
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

I tried to use them, i really tried, but they just didn't sound right.
After i put some other stuff instead... I realized that I really don't want to use Nomad Factory anymore.
My input!
Peace.
1st December 2009
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
hmm, that price is tempting indeed. but almost always bad critics...
There's a full-functioning demo, just time restricted. I don't know anything about the earlier versions, but I have heard nomad factory catch some flack. I'd never heard of this until I saw the $15 deal.

I don't agree with buying something just becasue it's $15, but after trying the demo I liked it, it's on v3.3 now.

Less is more though as far as the tube section goes, unless you want more..

You only get the tape saturation effect within a certain threshold of the settings, anywhere beyond that and you're into progressively heavier distortion, it needs a light touch.
But everything on it is useable, I quite liike the eq actually, even though it's relatively limited in soft terms, nice on bass.

1st December 2009
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

I know its not $15/£9, but the NF's Motown EQ's are fantastic. Tried both the NF & URS versions and went with the NF version. Their retrology stuff sounds top notch, but the older stuff that I personally heard, sounded really average.
RiF
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

I tried the TrackBox plugin on some female vocal recordings briefly and found it to be quite good. It's not the end of all channel strips, but I really liked the sound of the saturation feature, if you keep the amount < 25% and switch it to "Single" mode (forgot the name of the parameter). Very nice crunchy and tubish tone! I also like the lack of visual feedback meters and EQ-curves which makes me mix with my ears and not with my eyes! I have been able to dial in a pleasing sound within a very short amount of time. The overall sound got more in-ya-face and still sounded pretty "expensive". As a PTLE user, the 22 samples of plugin delay don't make me really happy, but are in the range of stuff that doesn't bring to many headaches.
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I have just bought this. I already own Voxengo Voxformer 2.0 and Team DNR's MixControl. I'll be interested to see how this compares later!
2nd December 2009
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I love them. Truly one of the top tube equipment plugs around. Very smooth and easy to use, true "musician" plugs. I wouldn't recommend them as first picks for surgical work though. In a sense, they are the opposite to surgical tools to me, works best used in broad strokes. All the blue tube series share the same characteristics.

I feel they got almost a kind of smooth .. err .. kinda hard wood sound to them - however strange that sounds. They seem to smooth out extreme presences of highs and lows, and put forth a remarkable midrange. The compressors sometimes has problems flattening really lowend sounds using short attack - makes a faint high pitched rattling kinda sound.

I would suggest Studio Channel SC-226 over Analog Trackbox by a slight margin. The 226 truly feels like Analog Trackbox generation II - which it essentially is. The filters and compression feels more firm and not fully as liquid smooth, and it colors ever so slightly less than blue tubes series. The 226 got an RMS switch for the compressor, but doesn't have a LP filter or gate.
10th July 2010
Old 10th July 2010
Gear maniac

This thread has been silent for a while, but just to add my 2 cents - try them, they have good trials. I bought the TrackBox and Blue Verb 2080 and like to use them to add character.

In the way you expect a valve to add character, I think the reverb and track insert add something quite unique and very musical sounding to my ears. If I want to capture a synth you might go straight to line in, or you might play it through an amp and mic it to get add something - I think of them like this.

Most often I use these effects on pads, leads and drums, and probably not all at the same time as it would be too much. Drums to give a nice analogue sound. I think they've done a great job off adding favourable harmonics and a warm musical character.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search