API 512 vs. BA 312
Old 15th January 2008
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
API 512 vs. BA 312

What are the differences? Is the API worth the extra money?
Old 15th January 2008
  #2
Gear nut
 

The two channel Brent Averill 312 unit is $1,679 including the power supply. An API A2D is $1,699 (but also includes 2 channel or A/D conversion). Two dual channel BAE's will run about $3,360. An API 3124 will run about $2,400. Their 500 series are both about $680 a piece I believe.

I have done records on both of them. I always seem to grab the API's. However, I don't think either one would be less suitable for the job. They are both great
Old 15th January 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

One difference is the 512c has a vu meter, the 312 does not.
As far as sound goes they should sound different since they have different transformers and op amps.
Old 15th January 2008
  #4
Gear maniac
 
Windshore's Avatar
 

Best thing to do as always,
get both and shootout yourself. I did and ended up with the BA312's.
For what I do and the sound I want, it was a no-brainer, but I'm sure other people have made the other choice as well.

If you're in LA you can grab the 312's directly from BA, otherwise try Vintage King or another GS friendly dealer who will let you try both for a few days. It's well worth it!
Old 15th January 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
fanriffic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshore View Post
Best thing to do as always,
get both and shootout yourself. I did and ended up with the BA312's.
For what I do and the sound I want, it was a no-brainer, but I'm sure other people have made the other choice as well.

If you're in LA you can grab the 312's directly from BA, otherwise try Vintage King or another GS friendly dealer who will let you try both for a few days. It's well worth it!
..what exactly made it such a clear decision for you windshore?-would be v interested to know.What do you do/what is the sound you want?

thanks

F
Old 15th January 2008
  #6
Gear addict
 
retropete's Avatar
 

My feeling is that the BAs are less colored and more transparent. The APIs a bit more midrange and more colored. Both very punchy, very high quality.
Old 15th January 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete View Post
My feeling is that the BAs are less colored and more transparent. The APIs a bit more midrange and more colored. Both very punchy, very high quality.
thumbsup That's how I hear it also. The BAE is a fav for bass DI among other things.

Is the BAE really $680 now? Wow. fuuck Inflation.
Old 15th January 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Have 3 312As and had 1 512C. Sold the 512. Didn't stand up against the 312A The 512 was harder sounding and I prefer the mids and bottom of the 312A.
Old 15th January 2008
  #9
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Are you guys talking about this ?
Attached Thumbnails
API 512 vs. BA 312-dsc00014-copy.jpg  
Old 15th January 2008
  #10
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Besides BAE's 312a Avedis 1122 op amps, who else uses these amps ?
Old 15th January 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 

If you are asking besides the 312A what other gear uses 1122s, Avedis EQ27, EQ15, MA5. My friend Stuart Sullivan has used them to replace a couple of 2520s in his API desk and likes them.
Old 16th January 2008
  #12
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
If you are asking besides the 312A what other gear uses 1122s, Avedis EQ27, EQ15, MA5. My friend Stuart Sullivan has used them to replace a couple of 2520s in his API desk and likes them.
Thanks i was not sure if they were in other high end gear or not, imo i cannot stand the sound of them
Old 16th January 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
imo i cannot stand the sound of them
Interesting. I like the sound of them. I'm curious, did you pull a 2520 and replace it with a 1122 and didn't like the way it sounded?
Old 16th January 2008
  #14
Gear maniac
 
stuntbutt's Avatar
 

For what it's worth, I have an API 312 and BAE 312a. I prefer the BAE 312a. I believe they are they same pre with different opamp and transformer. So, I either prefer the Avedis opamp or the Jensen transformer to the API.
Old 16th January 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
So, I either prefer the Avedis opamp or the Jensen transformer to the
API.
Or both.
Old 17th January 2008
  #16
Gear maniac
 
Windshore's Avatar
 

In comparing the BAE's to the API's I picked up on what several others here have posted. The BAE's felt more true to the sound I heard in the room, where the API's have more of a thickness in the mids or lower mids that was not as flattering IMHO. The BAE's still have a feeling of being very present and "forward, but without feeling artificial.

It's all hard to put in words, but that's why bringing both into your studio for a couple of days can be so darn powerful. While they have similar flavors in the grand scheme of things, it only took a couple of takes on each before I knew which was better for me.

In fact it took less time to choose than it's taken to read all these posts.... Ha!
Old 17th January 2008
  #17
Gear maniac
 
Windshore's Avatar
 

BTW-
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
If you are asking besides the 312A what other gear uses 1122s, Avedis EQ27, EQ15, MA5. My friend Stuart Sullivan has used them to replace a couple of 2520s in his API desk and likes them.
I'm pretty confident MA5 does NOT use the 1122. You can check with Avedis, but I believe he's using entirely new opamps etc. meant to give a very different sound.
Old 17th January 2008
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
I'm pretty confident MA5 does NOT use the 1122. You can check with Avedis, but I believe he's using entirely new opamps etc. meant to give a very different sound.
Did some checking and looks like you're right.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
JLEpperson / So much gear, so little time!
7
no ssl yet / High end
15
SLy_drums / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
blackcom / So much gear, so little time!
3

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.