New Reply
Subscribe
rattledaddy
12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Gear Head

First Compressor/Limiter and EQ

Hey all,

I am looking for a good general purpose compressor and EQ for use in tracking. I am also considering channel strips. My primary need is to build a great vocal chain. I only have about $1,700 to spend at this time. I have been steadly upgrading my studio and now have a selection of mics in most every flavor.

My "best" pres are in my API A2D (312s) and I have been considering getting a 500 series rack and buying more API or 500 series compatible gear (550A EQ, 525 Compressor etc.). If I go with the 500 series rack, I think it will have a lot of flexibility, and since I do remote work, I could get a lunchbox and use it in the field.

On the budget compressor side I wonder if the Summit TLA 50 a dbx 1066, or Toft DC2 are recommended? If I bought one of those I could get a dedicated EQ like the Langevin EQP1-A, Summit Audio FeQ-50 as well.

I am also considering the LA 610 or a Langevin Dual Vocal Combo which would give me the comp, eq, and a differnt flavor pre.

Recommendations?

Thanks.
12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Gear addict

Go for a comp first, you can eq and filter in the mix later, a summit tla 100 can be had for $1000 to $1300 and sound good on voice, i find the adl 1000 to be unpleasant, these comps are both in the la2a family classic vocal comp.
Then save you money and get a pultecish eq for mild shaping,

I am a clean lover for vocals, so i use the pendulum ocl-2 with a millennia nseq2 a little out of your budget right now but the OCL-2 is amazing on vocals, and i sidechain the other side to d-ess
oh yeah starting lots lately with a API 312, amazing on male voices for me.

peace jaffa
rattledaddy
12th January 2008
Old 12th January 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Gate View Post
Go for a comp first, you can eq and filter in the mix later, a summit tla 100 can be had for $1000 to $1300 and sound good on voice, i find the adl 1000 to be unpleasant, these comps are both in the la2a family classic vocal comp.
Then save you money and get a pultecish eq for mild shaping,

I am a clean lover for vocals, so i use the pendulum ocl-2 with a millennia nseq2 a little out of your budget right now but the OCL-2 is amazing on vocals, and i sidechain the other side to d-ess
oh yeah starting lots lately with a API 312, amazing on male voices for me.

peace jaffa
Jaffa,

Thanks! Would you recommend the Summit over an LA2A? I would love to get some of the pendulum stuff. I covet the Quartet!

Scot
13th January 2008
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

I just bought my second FeQ-50.

This is a very good, smooth, rich sounding EQ. The tube and SS outputs give two different textures.
rattledaddy
13th January 2008
Old 13th January 2008
Gear Head

Thanks Jimbo.

I got the TLA 50 and fEQ 50 (used) i'd be well under the 1700 mark. I am going to see if my local dealer can loan me the gear to check it out.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search