First Compressor/Limiter and EQ
Old 12th January 2008
Gear Head

First Compressor/Limiter and EQ

Hey all,

I am looking for a good general purpose compressor and EQ for use in tracking. I am also considering channel strips. My primary need is to build a great vocal chain. I only have about $1,700 to spend at this time. I have been steadly upgrading my studio and now have a selection of mics in most every flavor.

My "best" pres are in my API A2D (312s) and I have been considering getting a 500 series rack and buying more API or 500 series compatible gear (550A EQ, 525 Compressor etc.). If I go with the 500 series rack, I think it will have a lot of flexibility, and since I do remote work, I could get a lunchbox and use it in the field.

On the budget compressor side I wonder if the Summit TLA 50 a dbx 1066, or Toft DC2 are recommended? If I bought one of those I could get a dedicated EQ like the Langevin EQP1-A, Summit Audio FeQ-50 as well.

I am also considering the LA 610 or a Langevin Dual Vocal Combo which would give me the comp, eq, and a differnt flavor pre.

Recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 12th January 2008
Go for a comp first, you can eq and filter in the mix later, a summit tla 100 can be had for $1000 to $1300 and sound good on voice, i find the adl 1000 to be unpleasant, these comps are both in the la2a family classic vocal comp.
Then save you money and get a pultecish eq for mild shaping,

I am a clean lover for vocals, so i use the pendulum ocl-2 with a millennia nseq2 a little out of your budget right now but the OCL-2 is amazing on vocals, and i sidechain the other side to d-ess
oh yeah starting lots lately with a API 312, amazing on male voices for me.

peace jaffa
Old 12th January 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Gate View Post
Go for a comp first, you can eq and filter in the mix later, a summit tla 100 can be had for $1000 to $1300 and sound good on voice, i find the adl 1000 to be unpleasant, these comps are both in the la2a family classic vocal comp.
Then save you money and get a pultecish eq for mild shaping,

I am a clean lover for vocals, so i use the pendulum ocl-2 with a millennia nseq2 a little out of your budget right now but the OCL-2 is amazing on vocals, and i sidechain the other side to d-ess
oh yeah starting lots lately with a API 312, amazing on male voices for me.

peace jaffa
Jaffa,

Thanks! Would you recommend the Summit over an LA2A? I would love to get some of the pendulum stuff. I covet the Quartet!

Scot
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

I just bought my second FeQ-50.

This is a very good, smooth, rich sounding EQ. The tube and SS outputs give two different textures.
Old 13th January 2008
Gear Head

Thanks Jimbo.

I got the TLA 50 and fEQ 50 (used) i'd be well under the 1700 mark. I am going to see if my local dealer can loan me the gear to check it out.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search