Good hardware EQ
New Reply
Subscribe
pieter
17th June 2004
Old 17th June 2004
Gear maniac

Good hardware EQ

I'm slowly moving from an "in-the-box" ProTools approach to a situation where I'm using more and more hardware.

I'm now doing my bussing through a Spider and recently bought a Distressor for compressor duties.

However, I'm still using plugins (Massenburg, Sony Oxford) for EQing.

Any great hardware EQ you guys would recommend (sub 2500 $)?
17th June 2004
Old 17th June 2004
Gear maniac

I think the Manley Stereo Pultec is an often overlooked jewel of an EQ. You won't be able to do surgery with it, but you have good plugins for that anyway. It's low end is somewhat similar to a Massive Passive (thunderous if that's what you need), but to me it's high end is sweeter and more usable. There's no comparison between the hardware and software versions, the hardware is the real deal.

duaneadam
17th June 2004
Old 17th June 2004
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

9098 eq, is pretty amazing, very versatile
17th June 2004
Old 17th June 2004
Banned

The Manley Pultec does sound good but its very limited in its abilities, it is more of a snow shovel than a scapel. The new Buzz EQ looks damn cool for the price I think there was some talk around here about it, I've got their MA 2.2 and love it. The Avalon 747 is a nice piece but kind of the same limitations as the Manley and even cleaner than the Manley.
18th June 2004
Old 18th June 2004
member no 666

I'm kinda partial to the Great River EQ-2NV... go figure...
pieter
18th June 2004
Old 18th June 2004
Gear maniac

Any votes for the API 550b?
18th June 2004
Old 18th June 2004
Gear maniac

I must second that great river eq-2NV. I recently got one from Mercenary, and it is really fabulous. I think it sounds really cool, like the Ibis and Massive, but not quite as flexible, so it is quicker for me to get the sound I am looking for. They did a great job when they made this eq. I would be really happy if this were my only hardware eq.
18th June 2004
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Depends what you want to do... the Manley Pultecs don't sound as big as real pultecs in my opinion, they're cleaner... if you're gonna spend the Manley $$$$ , buy a Massive Passive and you won't regret it.

I also owned the system 9098 eqs and sold them... a little aggresive sounding for my taste, but very powerful. Overpriced also, I think, as just an eq, but the mic pres are really good.

If you want a clean, clear sounding eq and you don't want to spring for an IBIS, I think the Speck ASC-T does a remarkable job for the money.

For a more colored sound - you can't beat API. Chandler makes some pretty sick products too... maybe find a pair of Siemens or Sphere modules or some other such rare gems...

Personally, I like the software you mentioned for clean and surgical eq, I use hardware more for color.
18th June 2004
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
There's some really excellent suggestions on here, the Vintech X73i also deserves a mention too as it is some very nice ear candy IMHO (hey cdog, don't you have a 473?)....it's a nice mid point between color and somewhat clean, depending on how you drive the tranny.

I'm looking forward to the BUZZ Audio mono equalizer as well, should have some soon (possibly with Sowters on the ins and outs).
18th June 2004
Old 18th June 2004
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by pieter
Any votes for the API 550b?
H e l l YEAH!! $2500 should get you two 550B´s plus a lunchbox
"Just because you can get A part of the product doesn't mean you have the goods to make a whole. By the same token, just as you can't buy an M-7 capsule and build yourself a historic U-47, just as you can't buy 6 grams of sugar and distill yourself a bottle of Jim Beam, and just like you can't tell some bitch to dye her hair blond and have her turn into Cameron Diaz..." - Fletcher
20th June 2004
Old 20th June 2004
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by D'Kowmashev
I must second that great river eq-2NV. I recently got one from Mercenary, and it is really fabulous. I think it sounds really cool, like the Ibis and Massive, but not quite as flexible, so it is quicker for me to get the sound I am looking for. They did a great job when they made this eq. I would be really happy if this were my only hardware eq.
I third that then. The Great River EQ-2NV is amazing!!I tried the IBIS, allthough just for a shorter period, at the AES in Berlin and it was nice, but hmmm....didn't really turn me on. I got the EQ-2NV a couple of days ago from Mercenary and it is definatly a keeper. It might just end upo beeing my preferred tracking eq...along side with my preferred pre (MP-2NV)

"...when they tell me I could have bought a new car for that amount I tell them that no one has ever made a record in a Toyota!" - quote AllBread
21st June 2004
Old 21st June 2004
Lives for gear

barforama,
have you tried the Gyraf's?

ruudman
21st June 2004
Old 21st June 2004
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruudman
barforama,
have you tried the Gyraf's?
No,I have not, but people seem to like 'em. Fairman too. My absolute favourite eq is the Massive Passive. It is truely amazing. It's like "DAMN!!, how can anything sound so good..." ...even boosting 400Hz on kickdrum sounds good on the Massive.
I would like to have both the Fairman and the Gyraf to test alongside with the Massive, though.
I have a Massive Passive, a Millenia NSEQ-2, an ISA215, a Great River, 4 channels of NTP 182-100, 4 channels of NT FI-10 and 2 dual channel Trident A-range re-issues and the one that is most similar in caracter to the Great River is the Massive. And that is quite an achievement if I may say so.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search